Deer Roast in Crock Pot

jllipson
jllipson Posts: 646
edited September 24 in Recipes
You can probably use meat of choice, but this is what I made today and it was DELICIOUS.

I had never made a deer roast before and searched online for recipes, then found similar items in my closet - like the onion soup I used was not in the recipies, instead they called for a large onion plus 1 pack dry onion soup mix... less work on my end because I didn't have to chop the onion...

Here's my recipe that I used tonight:

2-3 pound Roast (I used deer)
1 can Progresso French Onion Soup
1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
1 pound baby carrots
1 tbsp. Soy sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. Garlic powder
¼ tsp. Black pepper

Threw all ingredients into crock pot and mixed - turned on High for about 5 hours, then turned heat to low for last 3 hours.

1 Serving = 4 ounces meat, plus about 1.5 oz. carrots (approximate)

250 Calories
22 Carbs
6 Fat
31 Protein
73 Cholesterol
4 Fiber

Replies

• TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    My husband is a big hunter so we always have wild game in the freezer, he uses a similar recipe for his roasts too. Only he uses 7-up instead of mushroom soup
  • jllipson
    Might need to try that one time.
  • Interesting. Sounds like something I'd like to try. The only way I've had deer before is deer summer sausage and I love that. I wonder if my sister has a recipe that she's planning to use for the deer my BIL got this year...
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    My husband is a big hunter so we always have wild game in the freezer, he uses a similar recipe for his roasts too. Only he uses 7-up instead of mushroom soup

Please, please tell us more about 7-Up instead of soup. My fiance is a big hunter too, but this year's hunt was a bust (hunting in Southern California is REALLY spotty). He's planning a big, bank-breaking hunting trip to Colorado next year so I need to get some good recipies for venison stockpiled.
  • Eli06
    Eli06 Posts: 5
    Hi, Im mrstoes's husband! I cook venison roast in a crockpot with two cups of water & one or two cups of 7 up. I put in a package of onion soup mix ( powder) & I slice up an onion to put in around the roast. It's awesome, has a really sweet taste to it.

I do my venison steaks & chops in a marinate of 2 tbsp of light oil ( sunflower s what I use), 2tbsp of soya sauce, 1 tbsp of worchester sauce, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp of pepper, per steak or chop , fresh grated garlic to taste. Put all the ingredients into a ziplock bag,put in the fridge & turn every hr for 2-3 hrs. Then bbq to taste.... my kids & I love it and perfer it over beef steak anyday.

Another venison recipe I use is for tender loins, ( backstraps). I cut them into medalions, wrap them with bacon using a tooth pick to hold the bacon together, brush with bbq sauce & bbq or broil to desired taste.

For anyone with goose or duck a great recipe is to butterfly a breast, marinate it in soya sauce, red wine, or beer for a couple of hrs, sautee onions & red peppers, grate your perferred cheese, ( I just use cheddar). Stuff the breast with the cheese & sauteed veggies, wrap with bacon ( using toothpicks to hold the bacon on & to close the breast) and bbq, dont cook waterfowl past med-rare or it goes rubbery. I make this a couple times a yr for my non hunting co-workers & they love it, one refused to believe it wasnt steak. Enjoy.
  • jllipson
    Thanks for the information, I was just going to send her a message asking what you do for the deer steaks and such.

A similare favorite that we did on tenderloin - marinated in light Italian dressing overnight. Wrapped in bacon, then we cooked in a rotisserie for a couple hours. It was very tender and delicious. Might have to try it with your recipe. Thanks!
  • Eli06
    Eli06 Posts: 5
    Hey FireRox21, not to high jack the post but, what is he going to be hunting in Colorado next yr?
  • omelas75
    omelas75 Posts: 9 Member
    I miss deer sooo much! I grew up in Southern Indiana with a dad that hunted all the time. We always had deer in the freezer. It is actually a really nice piece of meat - healthy eating-wise.

Nothing to add other than I miss the deer meat. I live in Southern California now and I have no idea where someone would hunt here?!?
This discussion has been closed.