Arc Trainer Vs. Elliptical

Options
Does anyone know the difference? Here I thought I was doing the elliptical but it's called an arc trainer?

Replies

• darwintheboxer
    Options
    The arc trainer differs from an elliptical in two main ways. With the arc trainer your right arm moves forward as your right leg moves forward. An elliptical is a more natural stride, with arms and legs moving opposite of each other. Also with an arc trainer, there is only one direction of movement, whereas with the elliptical you can go backwards and work different leg muscles. Actually there is a third way, the elliptical traces an elliptical motion where the arc trainer just traces an arc, up and back rather than around.

I believe Cybex is the only manufacturer of the Arc Trainer. My father has one. I own an elliptical and I definitely prefer it to the Arc Trainer. But like everything else, it is simply a matter of what you are most comfortable with.
  • serenityseeker78
    Options
    They are what the gym has that I go to, they don't have the elliptical. I do the treadmill and the arc trainer. I just didn't know the difference. Thanks ;)
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    www.livestrong.com/article/182601-arc-trainers-vs-ellipticals/
  • serenityseeker78
    Options
    www.livestrong.com/article/182601-arc-trainers-vs-ellipticals/

Thanks ;)