1/2 marathon and Century ride????

Ok so a goal of mine has always been to run a 1/2 marathon. In March I started my weight program just to loose all the baby weight. I was 205 and since going to the gym, lifting and running I lost 20 lbs by May, then I made a goal to do the century ride this past Sept. and lost another 10 pounds. I did my century ride.:happy: It was my second century (did one 5 years ago before the girls)... so anyway.... NOw my hubby wants me to do the tour de tucson in November (109 miles) and the half marathon is in January. I haven't been to the gym since June I have only focused on riding, I ran for the first time yesterday since june and I'm a bit sore. I'm hurting around my hip bone area on my side and i'm not sure if i pulled something already...:grumble: Anyone know what i could have done?

I'm lacking the faith/confidence that I can train to do both!?!? Has anyone ever trained for both at the same time? if so, how was it?

Replies

• familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Ok so a goal of mine has always been to run a 1/2 marathon. In March I started my weight program just to loose all the baby weight. I was 205 and since going to the gym, lifting and running I lost 20 lbs by May, then I made a goal to do the century ride this past Sept. and lost another 10 pounds. I did my century ride.:happy: It was my second century (did one 5 years ago before the girls)... so anyway.... NOw my hubby wants me to do the tour de tucson in November (109 miles) and the half marathon is in January. I haven't been to the gym since June I have only focused on riding, I ran for the first time yesterday since june and I'm a bit sore. I'm hurting around my hip bone area on my side and i'm not sure if i pulled something already...:grumble: Anyone know what i could have done?

I'm lacking the faith/confidence that I can train to do both!?!? Has anyone ever trained for both at the same time? if so, how was it?
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    I'm hurting around my hip bone area on my side and i'm not sure if i pulled something already...:grumble: Anyone know what i could have done?

Are you in pain or is it sore? In March, I got pain in the hip bone area on my right side. The doctor diagnosed Bursitis. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bursitis/DS00032. The treatment? NO RUNNING. I was allowed to swim, ride a bicycle, and the uitilze the stairmaster. It took until August for me to feel nearly 100%. Now, I only have the occassional pain.

I am not saying you have Bursitis, but it might be a good idea to see a doctor if you are pain. (and not sore)

Oh, and the Bursitis was the result of running.
  • Hello. I am not sure if I have had the same pain as you are speaking of but I walked(not run) a marathon last year and experienced this. I was chatting with my neighbor who has taken me on as her subject in regaurds to personal training. She has a college degree in Fitness and Exercise Movement. She said people often get sore in the hip area because they are not stretching the outside muscle that wraps around your hip. It makes sense to me. So I am currently doing some stretches that seem to help. Try standing with your legs hip length apart. stand up straight with your arms hanging at your sides. Keeping your legs straight, bend at the hip. your arm will go to about your knees. Do both sides as many times as you feel you need. This will stretch your opposite hip muscle. I hope I explained this in a way that makes sense. It could be something entirely different and need doctors attention but is worth trying first.

Hope it all works out for you. I am currently starting training for a sprint length triathlon. It is going to be hard but worth it. Biking and running are two entirely different things using different muscles. If you think you can train for both at the same time, why not? Otherwise, could you pick up a differnt half Marathon later in the year?

Good luck!
    Amy
  • familybugs
    Thanks you two...

I do need to stretch more!

I don't think its bursitis. I think its something called the so-as muscle.. hard to explain..
    I will keep it in mind and watch out for it.

I think I'm going to try doing both.. heck I"m wonder woman right! :laugh:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member

You go girl! Of course you can train for both-how else would trialetes do it? You will need a plan-perhaps you can google plans? or join a triathlon club?

My uncle just compted in a Triathlon-an won for his age group. He's 59. So, yeah, you CAN be Wonder Woman!:flowerforyou:
  • familybugs

You go girl! Of course you can train for both-how else would trialetes do it? You will need a plan-perhaps you can google plans? or join a triathlon club?

My uncle just compted in a Triathlon-an won for his age group. He's 59. So, yeah, you CAN be Wonder Woman!:flowerforyou:

I get what your saying.... but training for a 27 mile bike ride and a 6 mile run is different than training for a 109 mile bike ride and a 13 mile run.... But your right people who do Iron Man's are AMAZING!!! Its just that I don't know if its me.... :bigsmile: But dang it I'm gonna try!:tongue: