All organic, nothing processed, or who cares...

Options
So I am curious, how many people care about something being organic verses non-processed, or do some of you not care. I am currently trying to not buy fast food and all processed foods while adding some organic items at times. I find it much easier in the warmer months when the farmer’s markets and veggie stands are plentiful. So what are your thoughts? Organic, non-processed, or whatever is easy and cheap?

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I go for both - organic and non-processed for the most part. I do indulge in a protein bar now and then that aren't organic, but that's not every day. I try to stick with my eggs, milk, chicken and beef and the dirty dozen for fruits and veggies being organic.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I can't afford organic, so I concentrate on eating clean, with as little processing as possible.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to aim for strictly organic. However, I try to go additive free, as much as possible.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I try to go (as of lately) for non-processed, but as far as I care, a veggie is a veggie, organic or not...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,046 Member
    Options
    I use whole foods almost exclusively. So, nothing that is processed except bread and milk, yogurt, cheese.

Organic is a little different. I'm not sure I even believe the claims of "organic". So if the prices are comparable or not tooooo much higher, I buy organic. But if it's twice as much, forget it. I'm gonna die of something.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    The least processed amount is most important, then organic, then I grow my own (organic) in the months that I can. I figure why should I pay someone when it's just as easy to do it myself?
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i eat out a lot so i honestly eat all kinds of garbage. i buy organic milk because i prefer the taste, but that's about it.
  • So_Um_Yeah
    So_Um_Yeah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would eat organic if I had the money and patience for it, but as it stands its just too big of a hassle. I try to buy organic or non-processed as much as I can, but I'm not one of those people who sees it as the only healthy option. Its hard enough to find food that goes with other dietary restrictions, and would go crazy if I limited myself like that, but it really seems to work for a lot of people.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    50/50. I try to get all natural, but sometimes it can't be helped. Soon, I'll be growing a lot for myself!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    There is a list available of the "dirty dozen" (12 produce items with heavy pesticides) that you should buy organic and the "clean 15" (15 items that have the least pesticide) that you are probably ok buying regular.
    http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php
    They have a printable list and an iPhone App.
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from anything processed....it's usually full of things that cause cravings.... higher levels of sodium, sugar and fat...especially trans fat or saturated fats.....I do only buy organic when I can for the most part but fresh is always best!!!!! Think of it that way, you know exactly what your putting into your body. Although they're maybe be times when you have to stop and pick something up at a fast food, so try to go with the healthiest options, but make this NOT the norm as you really should focus on " this is going to be hard" to preparing your own foods is key to being successful at weightloss!! Good luck!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I definitely try to eat well, not just low fat or low cal or whatever. I buy organic when feasible but not everything is. I try to eat as little processed food as I can. Some things at Costco are a better deal and are organic ie the huge tub of baby greens for $4 versus small bags of the Dole lettuces that are like $2.50 at grocery store. Regular 1/2 and 1/2 is $2.50 for tiny thing at grocery store but $4 for 64 ounces at Costco. I have heard that organic dairy contains more CLA which can help weight loss so I try to buy organic yogurt but organic milk is quite a bit more than regular so I don't usually get it.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I only buy organic when it's on sale otherwise it's really expensive where I live.
    I tend to go for locally grown produce though when I shop.

And I definitely don't opt out for processed foods.. I try to limit them though when I can.
  • susioryan
    Options
    I am an organic, local, in season type of gal. Non processed kinda goes without saying. I buy meat from local farmers, frequent winter farmers markets for veggies, cheese and bread, grow greens in a cold frame. I have not found processed food cheap- it seems to me that you pay for it in many ways, it makes you feel like crap, you get bloated, it raises your blood pressure, it makes you fat, it has chemicals that in the long term can kill you, and you end up paying for it through medical bills. Besides, we shouldn't be buying a ton of food anyway. When you eat less, you buy less, so you should be able to buy better quality.
    Just my thoughts and lifestyle.
  • sptsimone
    Options
    I stock up on organic when its on clearance or there's a weekly special. Otherwise, I focus all my effort on no fast food and no processed foods. Those two things alone make a HUGE difference. And if you cut back on meat, you'll find there's more money available to buy organic.
  • WTFitness
    WTFitness Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can't afford organic, so I concentrate on eating clean, with as little processing as possible.
    Ditto.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I try to buy organic when I can, but if it's a choice between local fruits and veggies vs. organic, I would take the local ones because where I live the farmers need our support. Thankfully where I live many are both organic and local..... If nothing local or organic is available, I would go the grocery store and choose seasonal fruits and veggies and wash them really well.

For things like crackers and breads and cereals and dairy, I think it's more important to know what the ingredients are when you read them on the labels and avoid anything w/ weird chemicals--so I guess "all natural". Have you read Michale Pollan's food rules?? Super quick easy read but I think a great philosophy (at least in my opinion) on being a food consumer.
  • Jaynequ
    Options
    I believe organinc is generally 'twice the price for half the quality' so don't buy it unless there is nothing else. I cook everything from scratch, using the cheapest ingredients I can find. I never wash any fruit, or peel any veg, and refuse to ever drink bottled water (so bad for the planet).

My family is the healthiest I know, none of us are ever ill, so don't think the non-organic is doing us much harm.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Well, "processed" and "organic" aren't really comparing the same thing: Something can be highly processed yet still be organic, and unprocessed foods are very nutritious even though they might not be organic.

I eat ALL unprocessed foods save for Fiber One and Special K Protein Plus cereal (both of which have pretty minimally processed ingredients).

However, I don't really care about whether food is organic or not-- sure, I'd love to have less pesticides on my strawberries, but not if it means I have to pay twice the price for the exact same calories and nutrients.

I think people are obsessed with the "health halo" that surrounds organic foods-- this does NOT mean that the food is good for you. For example, a cookie can be organic, yet still have 400 calories and 20 grams of fat. You'd be much better off having fresh fruit, even if it isn't organic.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies are expensive enough around here, never mind the organic stuff. I have a hard time getting any fresh veggies at all, just because of the cost. About the only thing i can afford are potatoes and carrots, which are better than nothing, i suppose. I usually try to buy frozen veggies, though, since i am on my on a 4 dollar bag of peas last me a few weeks. Even though canned veggies are cheap, i can't stand the taste of them, so i stear clear of those.