Sodium Intake

Options
Does anyone know the newest recommended level that you are supposed to stay under for sodium?

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    1500mg :smile:
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    THINK I HEARD IT WENT FROM 2500 TO 1500
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Well crap. I'm usually OVER the 2500!:noway:
  • mikeylikesit1177
    Options
    I'm always over on sodium but not calories
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    American Heart Association

Sodium: <1,500 mg per day for adults; The recommendation for 1,500 mg/d does not apply to individuals who lose large volumes of sodium in sweat, such as competitive athletes and workers exposed to extreme heat stress (e.g., foundry workers and fire fighters), or to those directed otherwise by their healthcare provider (Lloyd-Jones, 2010). Web reference (accessed 23 March 2010): http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/112/13/
  • mislove68
    Options
    1500, a pinch of salt total for a day.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    1500. My nutrition professor recommends 700.
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As am I, Mikeylikesit. I have a horrible time with sodium, even at 2500mg. Do we know why they brought the recommendation down?
  • bburson
    bburson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Right, and that is about 1 tsp I believe.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The lowering of Sodium is very beneficial to heart health and everything, but I just do not see how people are expected to do that! Even if you completely get rid of pre-packaged food and such, it is going to be dang hard. The past few days I have been able to keep under the 2500, but I don't see it possible to stay under 1500.

Wow.
  • fmirante
    Options
    2000 grams is considered the right amount of sodium. The problem is that almost everything contains sodium and its hard to meet this goal. If you do you will probably lose weight as its hard to get enough calories on a 2000 gram sodium intake.

In January 2009 I went on a low sodium diet (less than 1500 grams) because of heart problems. I weighed around 230 pounds then, I am now 178 pounds.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned - 1500 mg for MOST adults.

What others haven't mentioned - AHA recommends <1300 mg if you have risk for high blood pressure and/or heart disease (i.e. a family member has one or both diseases)

I manually reset my diary for 1500 mg a day. Basically - eat nothing processed and you can do it! :D

***Edited to add that min. amount of sodium body needs is 500 mg/day - since the other poster posted a link where people were discussing what happens if you don't get enough sodium. I trust the AHA******
  • fmirante
    Options
    I actually started the low sodium in January 2010
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    2000 grams is considered the right amount of sodium. The problem is that almost everything contains sodium and its hard to meet this goal. If you do you will probably lose weight as its hard to get enough calories on a 2000 gram sodium intake.

It may be challenging to stay under 1500 mg of sodium and meet your caloric needs - but it is quite possible. You just have to make smart choices. Eating clean and cooking at home makes it very easy to control your sodium intake. :flowerforyou:
  • sabre1041
    Options
    the USDA guidelines have it at 2300mg and 1500 for people 51+ and those of any age who are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease. copied direct from the guidelines doc
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    the recommendations for sodium, as well as weight, body mass index, and cholesterol, are all based on some fairly questionable science. the fact is no one really knows for certain what is optimal, given all the variables, most of which change drastically from person to person, its unlikely they ever will. as long as you have two healthy kidneys, limit processed foods as much as possible, and break a sweat every now and than, I wouldn't worry about it.