How much should I be aiming for?

Options
Usually I go for a burn of about 500 calories (around) a day. I figure 3500 = pound, 500 burn a day is about a pound a week. But at the same time I feel like it's too little of a burn...thoughts?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    honestly.. i go till i can't go anymore
  • biggerpix
    Options
    I've done it so many ways. I've burned all my calories a day, I've burned more than I've taken in, I've burned all but 200, and I've burned 1/2. I go until I can't go anymore too. I actually feel guilty when I don't burn a ton of calories. But I figure if I can only burn 1/2, which isn't often, my body will have something to do to burn off the rest. It all comes out in the wash eventually.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm going for 800 cals a day this week, except the weekends. I'll just go for a walk on Sunday.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Usually I go for a burn of about 500 calories (around) a day. I figure 3500 = pound, 500 burn a day is about a pound a week. But at the same time I feel like it's too little of a burn...thoughts?

I try to burn 500 a day also, it seems to work...I lose about a pound a week.
  • bdgstone1
    Options
    I started at burning 500+ a day and worked up from there.

I'm burning 1000 + a day now.

Mostly cardio i.e. walking. I started at 2 miles and then upped to 3 and after 2 months I am doing 5-6 miles on a hike or a walk around my neighborhood or alternately I do an hour on the treadmill @ 3mph 3% grade + an hour on the heavy bag at the gym.

Heavy bag for an hour + an hour on the treadmill = 1260 burns cals a shot.

... I know I know...I'm an overachiever...feels great though AND most days I can eat a sushi and not worry about the rice...and I am sleeping SO good these days...its amazing!

THEY KEY!....for me...was getting my diet in line...got 3 meals at 300-500 cals per (more or less)....makes me full and I am plenty satisfied and its well under my goal and its still healthy...adjusting my api-stat made it really easier to balance burn and consume.

NOW the work outs are REALLY working...

I think I;m good at 1000+ for the moment...I can do it every day and it feels great....I'll see where I am in another month.
  • Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    I would LOVE to go until I drop but (not making excuses, that's just life) I have time limitations most days, so the most I can do is about 500. Right now, as long as I'm burning SOMETHING, I'm good.

Thanks guys!

also, @bdgstone1 You are a BEAST! In the BEST sense!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I kinda just go with the flow. Some weeks I aim for 1000 cal a day (usually before big occasions, vacations etc) but my winter norm is 300-500 a day. During the summer I'll be naturally more active and still aim for my goals so I'll be getting a bigger burn. I just take it week by week and see how I'm feeling.

IMO your 500 a day is GREAT!
  • biggerpix
    Options
    I hear ya on the time limits. Not many people have the time to work out that much. I figure, most days I can do up to 1000 or so calories a day. Like tonight, I only burned around 600. That's ok. I could use a break. And I did some hard inclines and running. I'll make up for it tomorrow. Any exercise is good exercise.
  • biggerpix
    Options
    Ok...now I feel guilty and want to burn a few hundred more before bed.
  • Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    @mamagooskie Thanks!
    @biggerpix hahaha! That's how I feel sometimes. But I figure, I'm standing for huge chunks of the day so extra calories burned!