healthy fast food?

Options
OK, so sometimes the schedule is tight and you gotta get some food... so fast food is usually the answer. Unfortunately, most of it is straight up poison loaded with fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, sugar, sodium, and preservatives. However, I know that there are at least a few options that are out there that a somewhat reasonable. Please respond with any healthy or at least semi-healthy fast food items that you may have come across in your travels. Please include any nutritional info you might have.
Here are a couple of my favorites:

-McDonald's- Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad 420 cals, 15g fat, 31g protein, with all ingredients and dressing

-Taco Bell- 3 Grilled Steak Soft Tacos 460 cals, 13g fat, 27g protein, no sauce and no cheese

-for a snack/ treat McDonald's- Ice Cream Cone 150 cals, 3.5g fat, 4g protein

Replies

• mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    buy the 'eat this not that book' it's AWESOME.

i keep protein shakes in my car that i can mix with water & protein bars that i use when i'm on the run.
  • jpeebs88
    Options
    From HungryGirl's Fast food survival guide

"Great Picks

Totally trustworthy finds from popular fast-food joints...

McDonald's Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait
    PER SERVING (1 parfait): 160 calories, 2g fat, 85mg sodium, 31g carbs, 1g fiber, 21g sugars, 4g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*

This is listed with the desserts on the menu, but we consider it a great breakfast, side dish, OR dessert. Also lumped in with the sweets, but good anytime? The Apple Dippers with Low Fat Caramel Dip -- only 100 calories and 0.5g fat (PointsPlus™ value 3*)!

Subway Egg White Muffin Melts (Most Varieties)
    PER SERVING (1 sandwich, excluding Mega and Sausage varieties): 140 - 210 calories, 3.5 - 8g fat, 490 - 940mg sodium, 18 - 20g carbs, 5g fiber, 0 - 1g sugars, 12 - 19g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4 - 5*

The lineup has expanded! Now your options include the Egg White & Cheese with ham, double bacon, or steak (or sans meat); the Western (ham, veggies, and two types of cheese); the Breakfast BMT Melt (ham, salami, and pepperoni with cheese); and the Sunrise Subway Breakfast Melt (turkey, bacon, ham, and cheese). WOW and YUM! Just steer clear of the fattier Mega and Sausage Melts. (Not worth it.)

Taco Bell Fresco Chicken Soft Taco
    PER SERVING (1 taco): 170 calories, 4g fat, 680mg sodium, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 12g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 4*

Want to enjoy a whole meal from TB without swallowing too much fat? Get two of these with a side of Fresco-style Pintos. Your filling meal will come in at about 470 calories, 10g fat, 14g fiber, and a PointsPlus™ value of 11*. Not too shabby!

Burger King Whopper Jr. without Mayo
    PER SERVING (1 burger without mayonnaise): 260 calories, 10g fat, 460mg sodium, 29g carbs, 2g fiber, 6g sugars, 13g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 7*

"Hungry Girl! I require a hamburger!" Not a problem; this pick is totally acceptable. Add a crouton-less side salad dressed in fat-free ranch for 100 calories, 2g fat, and a PointsPlus™ value of 2*.

Honorable Mentions...
    KFC Grilled Chicken Breast
    PER SERVING (1 breast): 210 calories, 8g fat, 460mg sodium, 0g carbs, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, 34g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 5*

Carl's Jr. Hawaiian Grilled Chicken Salad
    PER SERVING (1 salad without wontons or dressing): 260 calories, 8g fat, 560mg sodium, 34g carbs, 4g fiber, 17g sugars, 22g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 7*

Wendy's Small Chili
    PER SERVING (1 small order): 220 calories, 7g fat, 870mg sodium, 22g carbs, 6g fiber, 6g sugars, 18g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 5*"
  • Dthompsen
    Dthompsen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chic-Fil-A: Chargrilled chicken sandwich. Only 290 cal.

Subway: 6" Turkey on Wheat, no mayo, and lots of veggies. Only 280 cal.

El Pollo Loco: BRC burritio, NO CHEESE. 384 cal.

All three of these are very fast and pretty healthy. Enjoy!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I like Chick Fil A. They have a meal builder online so you can see what you are eating.
    Also, Panera.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    i agree with the last post- regarding wendys chili...i ate that the other day and it has the same amount of cals as a small fry and it was totally more sustainable than what the fry would have been...and its good...

also dont forget that a small chick fil a ice cream cone is only 160...and OH SO gooood!
  • granolagirl82
    Options
    I commute 2 hours out of the day, I hear ya! I like Chick Fil-a's chargrilled chicken sandwich (290 cal) and replace the fries w/ fruit (70 cals). There's KFC's honey bbq snack with a side of green beans and mashed potatos w/o gravy -all together 320 cals. I don't know if you have Noodle's & Co, but they have some good choices too. Oh, and Panda express Mushroom Chicken 210 w/ side of mixed veggies 70.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I actually work at a Pita Pit lol! Not sure if they have a lot of them in the US, but I know that most of pitas can definitely fit into even a really clean diet. Just stay away from the gyros, BLT's, and falafel lol.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    ever since seeing how much better I felt once I stopped eating all fast food
    I cant bring myself to eat it again.
    IF I cant pack a few bottles of water and protein bars or a bag lunch then I will just eat when I get home. If you have time to go thru the drive thru, then we have time to take a meal on the road from home

for me fast food is not the solution EVER.
    at best I would maybe get a sub sandwich from the krogers, publix, maybe subway but mine around here have too low on Health scores so I dont go to them.

this is my two cents
    *** plus after going 6 months without eating fast food my household saved over $2000 dollars
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I like Chick Fil A. They have a meal builder online so you can see what you are eating.
    Also, Panera.

my semi-retired father is a IT for chick fil a and after he saw the prepping of those foods he doesnt eat it anymore.

we came from a family restaurant and know the do's and dont's in the restaurant biz. Im a state certified food safety and sanitation inspector as well and a personal chef, so always know there is nasty in fast food places
  • jb83
    jb83 Posts: 38
    Options
    Here's my favorites

Jack in the Box - Chicken fajita Pita -320 cal
    Carls Jr- BBQ Chicken Sandwhich- 380 cal
    Chipotle- Bowl with chicken, veggies, lettus, salsa, guacamole- 385 cal
    Del Taco- Chicken Taco Del Carbon- 150 cal (need at least 2 of these!!)
    Wendys- Ultimate Chicken Grill Sanwhich- 350 cal
    Subway- Roast beef salad - 120 cal.... add whatever dressing for more, but I use the olive oil blend for 45 cal a tbs.

if you have an iphone or droid... look up the app Fast Food Calorie Counter!
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love love love McDonald's Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait! YUMMMMM