never trust the food logger

Options
I went to Sonic's tonight and I'm very picky about what goes into my food diary...and that means CHECKING every food I eat. I've noticed almost everything I eat....is wrong on the entries. I had to revise so much stuff. So I'm just warning everyone...check the nutrition facts before jotting stuff down because it's there. It's saved me calories....and also gained me calories.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have noticed this too! I am a bit stressed about it, as I am going on vacation soon and won't have the ability to make safe meals every day! Yikes!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I went to Sonic's tonight and I'm very picky about what goes into my food diary...and that means CHECKING every food I eat. I've noticed almost everything I eat....is wrong on the entries. I had to revise so much stuff. So I'm just warning everyone...check the nutrition facts before jotting stuff down because it's there. It's saved me calories....and also gained me calories.

I hate when I scan something and it comes up as something entirely different... like bacon coming up as chocolate chip cookies or something. Urgh. I always try to make sure if I can check against a label or a website with nutritional info I do that. I'm guessing the database is primarily built on user entries.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It happens at first - once you build up your own foods and history it get's easier. I wondersometimes why people enter data for the rest of us to use that is WRONG. Doing themselves and us a disservice.
  • butterflymedic
    Options
    I hate when I scan something and it comes up as something entirely different... like bacon coming up as chocolate chip cookies or something. Urgh. I always try to make sure if I can check against a label or a website with nutritional info I do that. I'm guessing the database is primarily built on user entries.

How do you "scan" stuff? Have I missed something?
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

this site has a barcode scanner app for phones....

and in reply to the topic, OMG I KNOW!!! urg it is so annoying when I try to enter things...half the time i end up just adding quick calorie because its easier
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

I've noticed sometimes that when I scan things it doesn't scan the full barcode. It displays the barcode number for a moment before it pulls it up, and sometimes it's chopped off. I don't know why this is, but I wonder if it is why things sometimes come up way wrong.

For the most part I haven't had a problem with this, though. If I can find the exact food I'm looking for, brand and all, it tends to be correct. If I can't find it, I enter it myself. I also look for entries that have been "confirmed" by others, it tends to be more accurate when others have agreed with the information!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

You'd have to do it from the smartphone apps.
  • kcphilly
    Options
    I've been frustrated a few times because it seems like potassium is a neglected nutrient around here and it's something I track in my diary...I was so confused my first few days when I went to add a Dole banana and it had 0g listed for potassium! Then I realized a lot is user entered. If I'm adding something for the first time I'll look it up and then always check it against the label info I have. I have a few of my own foods that I've had to guess on...but I keep those private I'd never publish them unless I was sure the info was right. And foods that are misspelled!! I'm a horrible speller but again...not gonna enter something into a public database without doing spell checker!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

this site has a barcode scanner app for phones....

OMG are you serious!! I didn't know that...that would be freakin awesome!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I dunno, most of the stuff I found is pretty accurate, even the user entered foods (maybe its just the foods I look at?)...my only complaint would be when people enter something, but don't bother to enter the whole thing. Like they will enter the correct calories but then fat, carbs, sugar etc is all 0....I think that's annoying.