Craft Beer Lovers...CHEERS!!!

Options
Hello fellow craft beer lover! Since I can't drink as much craft beer as I did pre-MFP, I thought it would be a good idea to start up a conversation about so that we could share beers we really love. That way we don't waste calories on trying beers that suck!

I try to be a "locavore" when it comes to beer, so I drink a lot of ones made in Texas. However, I will try one from just about anywhere other that ones made by Budweiser, Miller and Coors (IMHO they are KILLING beer, not making it). I just prefer to get my beer fresh and made by people who care about the way it tastes!

So cheers to all of you! Here is my first recommendation:

BREWER - Southern Star
BEER - Blonde Bombshell
STYLE - American Blonde Ale
MADE - Conroe, TX (just outside of Houston)
DESCRIPTION: A rich, creamy golden colored ale fermented at a cool temperature to give a clean finish. Hints of yeasty bread and a touch of hops combine to make a beer that is truly more than the sum of its parts.

...and for a little extra flare...

BlackStarCOOP_SoutherStar_BlondeBombshell-1.jpg

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda picky....
    Newcastle Brown Ale is pretty much the only beer I'm drinking these days. And it's like love in a bottle...only with fewer strings attached.

:)
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ok... I am not much of a beer drinker, I love wine (good wine), but that is so awesome you have a group you support. There are a lot of Micro-Breweries out there that have a great product.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oh how I love my craft beers and try to save enough calories for one every day! Glad I'm not alone.

I am from Minnesota and Summit is the big local brewer here. I'm very fond of their Oatmeal Stout, but it only comes in kegs. However, Summit Winter Ale is bottled and it is quite rich and flavorful. I don't think they distribute that far.

I love to have local beer when I travel. Heading to New Mexico this week where I discovered Alien Amber Ale (of course out of Roswell) which was a pleasant surprise. I would love any New Mexico brewery recommendations.
  • jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    OH i love beer all kinds preferr the dark ones more.. Love wine i make my own wine and it is good. OH now i am thirsty
  • lisapisa1
    Options
    I miss heading to my local brewery here in Orlando......a nice cold Red ale is my weakness and when they have it unfiltered it's heaven!

BREWER - Orlando Brewing Company (an Organic Brewery)
    BEER - Red Ale
    STYLE - American Red Ale
    MADE - Orlando, FL
    DESCRIPTION: Clean and crisp flavor, alluring aroma and unmistakable natural copper red color.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been getting into craft beer the last few months since my boyfriend brews and he knows everything about craft beer (or so it seems). One of my favorite breweries that I've found is Karl Strauss in San Diego, CA. I found it on a business trip and they have such a delicious selection of beers! I've been meaning to go to a large beer store in my area (Total Wine) to see if they carry it, since I"m on the other side of the country!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I would love to have Guinness or a Rogue Pale Ale right now!
  • aschrader7
    Options
    Nice post! I love my craft beers as well. Unfortunately had to cut beer out of my diet to reach my goals. I allow myself to "splurge" and have a few on Sundays to reward myself! Love New Castle, Sierra Nevada, Arrogant *kitten*, and this brew from Kansas City I can't think of the name!
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love to have local beer when I travel. Heading to New Mexico this week where I discovered Alien Amber Ale (of course out of Roswell) which was a pleasant surprise. I would love any New Mexico brewery recommendations.

An awesome small microbrewery in Las Cruces, NM, is High Desert Brewery. I am not the beer drinker in our family (I loved their homemade root beer!) so I cannot recommend which beer to get, but they are very good at making recommendations based on what you usually like. I miss NM!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Well I love both good beer and good wine. For beers, a few of my faves:

New Belgium Brewing Co:
    Skinny Dip
    2 Below
    Mothership Wit

Heavy Seas:
    Small Craft Warning
    Loose Cannon

Lancaster Brewing Co: Strawberry Wheat (amazing, but really can only have 1-2 before it becomes too much)

Victory:
    Prima Pils
    Hopdevil

Delirium Nocturnal

Bells Oberon

Fordham Brewing Co:
    Copperhead Ale
    Helles Lager

I've got a longer list but these are a few I enjoy....
  • jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    OKay put it all in a doggie bottle and give it to me NOW lol
  • improvstitute
    Options
    Well i guess someone doesn't want me to post a picture of a pint of Blonde Bombshell...oh well!
  • runteachrun
    Options
    Man, this got me drooling! In the Great Northwest, we have prime breweries! Boundary Bay has an amazing oatmeal stout! So hearty, it's like a meal :) Also, Birdsview Brewery on the way to Mt. Baker has an amazing fruit hefe!! When I'm in Portland, I love a Wowzenbock from Deschutes as well!
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Now here's a topic I can get into. Being a homebrewer for almost 20 years, I love good craft beers. At 1 time I had a chest freezer (temperature controlled) set up as a kegorator in my gargage with 30 gallons of beer on tap at any given time. Maybe that explains why I'm on here now loosing over a hundred pounds. To the topic at hand, my favorites include:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Boulevard Pale Ale (Kansas City)
    Boulevard Wheat (The best wheat anywhere)
    Yuenglings Lager (Pennsylvania-Oldest Brewery in the nation)
    Bell's Kalamazoo Brewery (Michigan) (Just about anything)

I need suggestions for Charlotte, NC. I will be traveling there soon.
  • merrillfoster
    Options
    Nice to see someone recognize Bell's! They've been a favorite of mine for about 15 years. Oh, crap. I'm 29. I mean, um, 8 years, of course....
  • merrillfoster
    Options
    In NC you should be able to get New Belgium. I recommend pretty much anything they make too.
  • improvstitute
    Options
    Well I love both good beer and good wine. For beers, a few of my faves:

New Belgium Brewing Co:
    Skinny Dip
    2 Below
    Mothership Wit

Heavy Seas:
    Small Craft Warning
    Loose Cannon

Lancaster Brewing Co: Strawberry Wheat (amazing, but really can only have 1-2 before it becomes too much)

Victory:
    Prima Pils
    Hopdevil

Delirium Nocturnal

Bells Oberon

Fordham Brewing Co:
    Copperhead Ale
    Helles Lager

I've got a longer list but these are a few I enjoy....

Ditto on the New Belgium beers and the Victory beers!!! Haven't had the others...yet.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    At my work we are starting to get a few different. unique, tap beers. Well, more unique than the usual Texas favorites of Coors Lite Miller Lite and Bud Light. :laugh: Luckily, we dont have any of them on tap. Sort of pisses people off, but come on, branch out a bit! We now serve some good stuff from the Rahr brewery out of Fort Worth. We have their Iron Thistle, which is a Scottish Style Ale that's delicious!

Recipe Information:
    Style: Scottish Style Ale
    Alcohol By Volume: 8.0%
    International Bitterness Units: 25
    Color: Dark Brown
    Hops: WarriorI
    Tasting Notes: Deeply Malty, Caramel, Light Hops
    Availability: January-February
  • improvstitute
    Options
    ...We now serve some good stuff from the Rahr brewery out of Fort Worth. We have their Iron Thistle, which is a Scottish Style Ale that's delicious!

Recipe Information:
    Style: Scottish Style Ale
    Alcohol By Volume: 8.0%
    International Bitterness Units: 25
    Color: Dark Brown
    Hops: WarriorI
    Tasting Notes: Deeply Malty, Caramel, Light Hops
    Availability: January-February

that sounds amazing!!!
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm from Wisconsin and my favorite is, what else? Spotted Cow! By New Glarus. With a lemon wedge. Mmmm...beer...