Hey Runner Friends - Help getting back into it?

Options
As alot of you know, I have logged quite a few miles during January ... and I ran my first half marathon on January 30th.
Then I went to Disney, there was no running for the entire time I was gone.
The next time I ran was Feb 13th - a 5K and I felt fine...
the next day I was struck down with the crud, which knocked me for a loop.

Last Thurs I ran ... 5 miles... and I was ok except for the puking at the end because I pushed it a bit too far.
Then I have been sick since...

I want to jump back in at about a 15-20 mile/week pace --- I was putting it much more than that before the race.
My plan is 4 tomorrow, 5 on Thursday, and 6.5 on Saturday ...

Is this ok?? I havent taken this long off since I started running....
Thanks!!

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Just take it easy the first few runs. Your body will let you know if it's good to go or not!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I'm actually just getting back into running also. I had my son 6 months ago, ran a 5k when he was 3 months, and haven't done really anything much since. So this morning was my first day back. I did 2 miles on the treadmill. It was kinda tough. My pace was faster than normal because I was trying to hurry and finish to get ready for work. I felt pretty good though.

I think your miles sound fine since you just basically took a month off. Maybe 4 milers for a couple of days with a easy-going pace? Then, see how you feel after that.

The worst thing I've done before running was upping my miles too quickly.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I suggest heading to runnersworld.com and doing the smart coach plan on There for the 15 to 20 miles a week. Of those runs do your best to get em all in. If you are hurting, cut back by 10%

You can do This! Just hop back into the routine, honestly I This k your Disney break was Good. ..this way You wont get burnt out

I'm here for you, em!
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I like Aggie's idea. I think you should start with 3, 4, and then maybe 5 on Saturday. I think jumping right up to 6.5 so fast after being sick could prove frustrating.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I like Aggie's idea. I think you should start with 3, 4, and then maybe 5 on Saturday. I think jumping right up to 6.5 so fast after being sick could prove frustrating.

If I had it my way I would do 5 this weekend -- but Iam training a friend of mine for a half marathon, and I need to get her up in distance... me Ill be ready for the half no problem no matter what ... but its her first and I have to be a good friend.

I was ok on my 5 miler last week ... so I would like to hope I will be ok ... I guess I will know later...
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't forget...really! It's called muscle memory, you may not have run for a while but getting back in the swing of things is more mental than physical. Listen to your body, not your brain (it's usually your brain that tells you you're tired, not your muscles). I would just pick a plan (Runners world smart coach is really good) and run with it (literally) taking it easy only if your muscles (not your brain) tell you to.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    The body doesn't forget...really! It's called muscle memory, you may not have run for a while but getting back in the swing of things is more mental than physical. Listen to your body, not your brain (it's usually your brain that tells you you're tired, not your muscles). I would just pick a plan (Runners world smart coach is really good) and run with it (literally) taking it easy only if your muscles (not your brain) tell you to.

Thanks. I am following Galloways program ... but instead of running for 30-45 minutes he recommends, I like to settle in at 4-5 mile runs because I hate the first 2.5 so it gives me some time to settle in.

Then the long runs are per program ...

Haha muscle memory -- your right its more mental than anything. I mentally think that my body has apparently forgotten how to run in the last month since I didnt do it ... but your right, its still there... :)
  • incognitopotato
    incognitopotato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you listen to your body and pay close attention to how quickly you're able to bounce back after each run. It's easy to get caught up in your enthusiasm to get back into running and accidentally overdo it. I'm sure you'll surprise yourself with how quickly you recover. Good luck! :)
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Many runners will follow the 10% rule. Don't try to run more than 10% farther than your longest run. Don't run 10% more miles a week. Don't run more than 10% faster pace. This general guideline will help ease back into it. But since you've been running a bit since your half I would say somewhere in the 3, 4, or 5 would be a good place to start. If we could all have it our way we'd be running marathons everyday and wouldn't have to worry about the calories we eat. But, se la vie.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I have never bumped my own post -- but anyone else have an opinion?
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    ah, ok. I can identify with that completely.

If I had it my way I would do 5 this weekend -- but Iam training a friend of mine for a half marathon, and I need to get her up in distance... me Ill be ready for the half no problem no matter what ... but its her first and I have to be a good friend.

I was ok on my 5 miler last week ... so I would like to hope I will be ok ... I guess I will know later...