CLA for belly fat/weight loss

Options
I just bought some Tonalin CLA Complex. It was recommended to me when I was shopping at my local health food store. I have included a link that provides more information on CLA:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/cla.htm

Since I do have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism, I was excited to see hypothyroidism referenced when I did a search on this supplement. The woman working at the health food store where I bought it said she used it and lost 10 pounds, and that it really does target belly fat, but it did take 2-3 weeks before she saw results.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it, and thoughts in general.

Thanks!

Lucy

Replies

• kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Let me know if it works.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Watching with interest!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Great info, Lucy! I am meeting with a RD and wholistic practitioner this week. I will bring up CLA to her and see what she has to say......I'll keep you posted.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i took this for a couple of months when i hit a stall umm i really cant't be sure if it worked or not or so im not sure i mean when you factor all the other stuff i was doing it was just hard to tell
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Lots of studies say it does work, The dosage is high and it comes out to lots of money. I took it for over six months, taking supplements constantly is time consuming and in the end I wasn't sure it was worth the cash.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i agree den it was very expensive after about four months i quit
  • Pita0224
    Pita0224 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Interesting.. I'll have to look into it more. What does it cost? Waiting with anticipation to see what others say....
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for a month and a half. I use the CLA from Max Muscle. The recommended dose is two capsules three times a day, but I take one capsule three times a day. In the first month I lost 7 lbs. I noticed while taking it my hunger is greatly reduced. This concerns me because I burn around 1000 calories a day through exercise and am having a very hard time reaching 1200 net calories per day. I have gained back about 2 lbs due to crappy eating, but I am quite happy with my CLA results. I just have to learn to eat better :ohwell:
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This is just off the top of my head, but I think it was around $22.00 for a bottle of 90 tablets (Costco was the best deal), but I think I had to take six or eight per day to meet get the recommended amt. so 90 didn't go far. And Like I said this information is off the top of my head so may not be entirely accurate. If you plan to use this supplement, make sure and research how much you need to take, if you don't take enough you are wasting your time and money.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I have been on it for a month and a half. I use the CLA from Max Muscle. The recommended dose is two capsules three times a day, but I take one capsule three times a day. In the first month I lost 7 lbs. I noticed while taking it my hunger is greatly reduced. This concerns me because I burn around 1000 calories a day through exercise and am having a very hard time reaching 1200 net calories per day. I have gained back about 2 lbs due to crappy eating, but I am quite happy with my CLA results. I just have to learn to eat better :ohwell:
    The recommended dose on the one I bought (Tonalin) is 3 per day. Did you take before or during meal? I would be happy with 7 pounds, 10 is my goal. I understand there is a risk of "feeling green" if you take on an empty stomach?? I am just learning about this as of today so I appreciate your feedback!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    This is just off the top of my head, but I think it was around $22.00 for a bottle of 90 tablets (Costco was the best deal), but I think I had to take six or eight per day to meet get the recommended amt. so 90 didn't go far. And Like I said this information is off the top of my head so may not be entirely accurate. If you plan to use this supplement, make sure and research how much you need to take, if you don't take enough you are wasting your time and money.
    The one I bought was 90 capsules for $21 and some change. The recommended dose is 3 per day, but if I look at the dose, it looks like it should actually be three and a bit. Wonder if that bit makes a difference? As I said previously, the girl at the Co-op where I purchased it took three per today and had good results, decreased belly fat and 10 lb loss. I am wondering if the brand makes a difference to how much you have to take? Maybe some have lower or higher concentration of the supplement? I agree research is important -- thanks!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Great info, Lucy! I am meeting with a RD and wholistic practitioner this week. I will bring up CLA to her and see what she has to say......I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks, Sporty! :)
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I looked at the bottle again and saw that the brand is Iron-Tek. Then under 'CLA' is says 'Pure Tonalin CLA Complex 1,000 mg'.
    When I look at the back of the bottle, it says Conjugated Linoleic Acid (from safflower seed oil) 1,000 mg, and under that it says providing Conjugated Linoleic Acid 780 mg. Under directions it says to take 2 to 3 per day before meals and use with a low-fat, low calorie diet and daily exercise.
  • FireRox21
    Options
    The recommended dose on the one I bought (Tonalin) is 3 per day. Did you take before or during meal? I would be happy with 7 pounds, 10 is my goal. I understand there is a risk of "feeling green" if you take on an empty stomach?? I am just learning about this as of today so I appreciate your feedback!

My CLA says 1500mg conjugated linoleic acid from 2000mg safflower oil containing 80% CLA. So there is a total of 1500mg of CLA per capsule. Ther recommended dose is 2 caps three times a day, but I pay about $27.00 per bottle and it lasts about a month. I take mine with or without food. I don't have a problem with nausea as I take a lot of other medications that do that for me!!! I had read somewhere, I think it was in a Max Muscle magazine that the recommended minimum dose is 1.5 grams per day. I think you just need to find your happy place with it and go from there.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options

My CLA says 1500mg conjugated linoleic acid from 2000mg safflower oil containing 80% CLA. So there is a total of 1500mg of CLA per capsule. Ther recommended dose is 2 caps three times a day, but I pay about $27.00 per bottle and it lasts about a month. I take mine with or without food. I don't have a problem with nausea as I take a lot of other medications that do that for me!!! I had read somewhere, I think it was in a Max Muscle magazine that the recommended minimum dose is 1.5 grams per day. I think you just need to find your happy place with it and go from there.

Thanks so much!
  • luckyprincessuk
    luckyprincessuk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Girls and guys (if your reading too), you don't need expensive supplements.
    It's the low fat, calorie counting that works not the supplements, your all doing so great please don't get drawn in.
    spend your hard earned cash on a special treat to reward yourself for your hard work or plan an active day out for you and your partner/children.
    Most of all have fun.
    Sarah
    P.s if you want to shout at me or even add me as a friend your more than welcome 
  • FireRox21
    Options
    Girls and guys (if your reading too), you don't need expensive supplements.
    It's the low fat, calorie counting that works not the supplements, your all doing so great please don't get drawn in.
    spend your hard earned cash on a special treat to reward yourself for your hard work or plan an active day out for you and your partner/children.
    Most of all have fun.
    Sarah
    P.s if you want to shout at me or even add me as a friend your more than welcome 

There are more benefits to CLA than just weight loss. It has cancer fighting properties, promotes the building of lean muscle, can prevent atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), can help diabetes, is a powerful antioxidant, can improve cholesterol levels and can boost your immune system.

I take CLA because any help I can get is wanted. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis that has fused my joints to the point that I cannot do floor based weights/cardio, etc. I also have PCOS that has caused me to go into early menopause at age 31. I also have Cushing's Syndrome that has led to an abnormaly large amount of fat to be stored on my hips, stomach and face (think 'moon face' associated with chemotherapy drugs, of which I also take.

Granted there are some supplements out there that are just hype and wallet-drainers, but most supplements are needed by people that are changing eating habits and starting exercise programs. While the changes are being made in a person's lifestyle, the body needs some extra help while it adjusts.

So, before one goes about saying supplements shouldn't be bought/used, research said supplement and take into mind that each person is different and might need the help said supplement would offer.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    WebMD said CLA worsens diabetes and shouldn't be taken by anyone with a metabolic disorder. A lot of CLA supps are made of oils like safflower. Safflower oil, as an example of one Omega 6, is in a lot of processed foods. If you eat processed foods, you are already getting enough omega 6's through your diet. Too much Omega 6 is BAD for you. In fact, it's terrible for inflammatory diseases, like RA, which I also have. I think more research needs to be done before everyone starts downing CLA supps.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400149/balancing-omega-3-and-omega-6.html