reading

Options
ok maybe its me but I wonder how someone can read a magazine or read a book on their Kindle or ipad etc ?? i do notice that some of these people are not sweating very much when their done with their cardio, but i guess thats just my perspective. i mean im there to sweat it out like a *kitten* in church.....lol not lolly gag not sure how they do it.

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    it would be easier than reading a book for sure they are pretty cool
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I read a book when I was on the treadmill but I think it's the only machine I could do and read. I can't run so I walk very fast and holding a book is easy. :glasses:
  • Jaccilatt5
    Jaccilatt5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ive noticed that I feel like I didnt get as good of a workout in when I read on my Nook, but it helps distract me from the fact that Im running in place in my basement faced towards a big blank wall. So I guess it helps.....then again maybe I should just move my treadmill till its nice enough to run outside.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    depends on the type of cardio session.

if your looking to max out your calories in one hit, and set PB's. then you shouldnt be able to read...

but if your like me...and do some fasted cardio once or twice a week on the bike...I could read if i wanted to as i'm only going easy, keeping my heart rate @ between 100 and 120bpm (which is getting harder every week, lol - or should i say easier? - it takes level 7 nowadays to keep that rate...anything more than 4 when i started doing in 2 months ago and my heart rate was hitting 130 easy...) but that's irrelevant.

If they are on the bike/treadmill for an hour, they's burn something like 300-400 kcals while reading a book i guess. still ok IMO. But they'd add an easy 100-150 if they left the book at home, without much more significant effort.
  • emseigle
    Options
    I listen to Pandora and read on Kindle for Android while I am working out some days. Not on the arc trainer, just music for that cause I think I would drop my phone because of the setup. And not usually on the treadmill because I am on a steep incline and am busy holding myself in position lol. But I do read while on the elliptical, I don't find it hard to focus on there and trust me, I am sweating like a sinner in church anytime I do cardio. lol
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LOL I get the best of both worlds, I get my workout AND I get to follow along in my book, sometimes the workout gets pretty intense if I get caught up in the story... audio-books for the win, library has em for free so I just go to the gym only place I let myself listen to them, so my workout has a built in reward.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For the "Steep incline but hanging on" poster, watch your shoulders hanging on. I'm always worried about the shoulders of those I see hanging on for dear life because the incline is "so much"

I use my treadmill at the steepest incline it will go and don't hold on to anything. You're not going anywhere, slow it down if you feel the need to hang on but I do try to translate my workouts into real-world training and the steepest incline that the treadmill will go is tame compared to some of the inclines on my chosen hike path.
  • emseigle
    Options
    Oh I don't go fast on the steep incline. And when I say holding on it is because I am holding my back straight and pulling in my stomach. No danger of falling off but afraid my phone would fall.