Newb and a statistics junkie

Options
I found this site using a mobile device yesterday and so far it looks promising.

Anyway, throughout my adult life my weight has been up and down. I have lost large amounts of weight (25-30lbs) only to pack it back on shortly after. I have always been the type to do things in extremes. I was either eating nothing but fattening foods OR starving and over exerting myself. Now I find myself 40lbs overweight and ready NOT to diet in an extreme way. I want to eat smart without starving myself the way I did in the past. I won't say that I am dieting... I would like to think that I am eating "properly".

I started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have switched from eating take out every single day to eating A LOT of fruits and vegetables along with other better choices. I have payed attention to things I never noticed before, like sodium in processed foods. I haven't salted my food in those two weeks... and I love salt.

I'm rambling... Although I have not noticed any physical changes, I have felt better. I haven't suffered from heart burn, which was a daily occurrence.

I'd like to ask this: So far, I have been eating healthy through the week and on one weekend day have gone out to eat with my wife without regard to nutrition. Im a bit worried "treating" myself will sabotage the whole goal right out of the gate.

I made my food log public, I have nothing to hide.

Anyway, I look forward to using this site to better watch what I put in my body.

Matt

Replies

• lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    Matt,,,welcome...

If you stick to this website and App,,,u will definetly see a difference. This is the healthies and best way to loose the weight and keep it off....Just remember, calories in, calories out....LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT....

If you know you will go over your calories on the weekend, then get out there and do 20 - 40 minutes of cardio, get your heart rate up and burn those calories that you over eat!!!!
  • peterhern
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm trying to lose weight and develop habits from keeping it from coming back.
    I have consumed a gallon of water per day for a week now and I feel great ... have also lost weight.
    You'll be interested to note the formula is body weight in pounds divided by two equals the minimum number of ounces of water to drink. Coffee and Tea (cafinated) don't count, soda doesn't either.
  • peterc9
    peterc9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt - just take your time. I've been doing this for 3 months and have really noticed the change.... but I don't beat myself up if I have a bad day. I agree with the post below - be honest with yourself, thats the only way you'll take control
    All the best
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey, sounds like you're on the right track - short term weight loss (and the subsequent gain) is easy, we've all done it to some extent. Changing to good eating and exercise habits will not only allow you to lose weight, but you will feel better and live longer!
    I think its important to blow off steam every now and then, there's no point feeling good if you can't go out for a great meal and a few drinks ever now and then. The trick is moderation and making good decisions, once you get used to eating a healthy diet, you might find that the fatty foods you used to see as treats aaren't really that appealing anymore.
    Keep up the good work.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, im surprised at all the responses here. It all looks like sound advice to me, although I am still learning. I'm still learning when it comes to cooking but I do enjoy making the food and experimenting. I even made my own pasta sauce because the canned stuff was packed with sodium.

I do have a few good habits that have been in place for a long time. I drink mostly water... lots of it. My wife and I never buy juice and rarely have soda. I work midnights and take a 24oz water bottle with me every night. I don't smoke and only drink a few beers a month. My wife and I got gym memberships recently... It's been about 7 years since I had one. I did make good use of my old membership and am ready to get back to it. I also am a recreational cyclist. I ride throughout the summer but normally ate enough to offset any exercise benefits. Now that it's cold I only ride 2 miles each day to work and I have gained 9 pounds since last August.

My biggest problem is quantity, I used to eat large amounts throughout the day. I also have a big weakness for candy and sugar. My solution for the past two weeks has been to snack on vegetables and fruit which has actually been nice. I haven't really denied myself fruit, i've been eating what feels like a lot of Clementines.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone!