Hello from Northern Ireland...lots to lose.

Options
Hello everyone

I have a lot to lose (almost 40lbs!) but I'm trying to think of it as just a pound at a time it's not as overwhelming that way. I'm a 35 year old female, mum to 3 boys and a gorgeous golden retriever puppy. I have allowed my weight to spiral out of control and I need to take steps now to rectify that. I'm also quitting smoking tomorrow morning (using the patch) and although I know it will be tough trying to do both, for me it's better to tackle them both now and not lose weight, then quit and eat lots to substitute the cigs and put the weight back on like I have done in the past.

I'd love to find some friends on this and would appreciate hearing from ANYONE lol shoot me a message and I will answer straight back.
Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Maggie

edited to add* is there any way that we can add pics to profile and tweak the settings so that friends only can see them?

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Welcome from Colorado you can add pics not sure about limiting it to only friends.
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me im from northern ireland too but now live in leicester :)
  • Maiden_
    Options
    thank you both and nice to meet you :)
  • melaniekeeptrack
    Options
    good luck, you have a busy life by the sound of it! I quit smoking two years ago and did replace the cigs with food - gained 20 pounds! that being said have lost 12 of it so far. One day at a time -- for dealing with the quiting smoking thing - drink lots of water to flush out the toxins and make sure to reward yourself along the way ! i promise you will feel better within 3 weeks! I used smoking to escape ( getting away from busy life) so I had to find other was to socialize and to give myself time.

I wish you luck
    Melanie
  • eatingmysandshoe
    Options
    Welcome, we're a friendly bunch!

I also have a lot to lose (though a bit more than you :ohwell:). My dad lives in Northen Ireland if that counts! I'll message you.
  • helenbanni78
    helenbanni78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Maggie,

I'm from the West Midlands, UK. I have shed 3 & 1/2 stone since April 2010, I joined MFP about a month ago to help as I still have about another 30 or so pounds to go. Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm 32 and have a 14 yr old daughter and 18 month old son. Oh and best of luck to you :smile:

4251195.png
  • Maiden_
    Options
    Hi Melanie :)

I have tried to quit a few times in the past and each time I over compensated with food, treating myself to every sugar laden thing you can think of! I even started smoking again in an attempt to control my weight :( The cigs and the fat have to go lol!

Well done on quitting!

Oops! Had to edit as others replied and I didn't want to be rude lol! Helen and Eating, thank you both so much I will add you now x
  • LornaW
    LornaW Posts: 27
    Options
    You can add me if you want..originally from Ayrshire Scotland but now in Zurich. You can add photo, but I also dont know about privacy settings. :happy:
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Welcome Maiden, I'm from London, Essex, add me if you want!
  • Maiden_
    Options
    thanks Lorna and Mum, adding you both now :)
  • dabsgram
    Options
    Hello Maiden. Born and raised in the States, but my parents came from Dublin. Hang in there - it will happen. My goal when I started was 35 lbs. So far I have lost 26 and am feeling great. I quit smoking on Oct 5, 2008. It does take some will power, but it's all attainable and I can't believe how much better I feel. You'll get some great support from people on this site since we are all after the same thing. I started two years ago, but didn't stick with it. I just came back to myfitnesspal in mid-December and hope to be at my goal weight by my anniversary - March 10.
  • Maiden_
    Options
    thanks Dabs and congrats on quitting and losing so much! inspirational! I really am feeling a lot more positive about this seeing all the great support x
  • dabsgram
    Options
    :smile: You're welcome. Welcome aboard.
  • dwinny
    dwinny Posts: 10
    Options
    I know all too well how you feel. Although I've quit smoking for almost 10 years now, when I did quit, I immediately started working out every day for at least 45 minutes. It was hard as hell, but I set a goal for myself. I was going to Florida in those two months, so I knew I wanted it! But that's where I fall flat, I need to find something I can stick with and maintain it when I get there! So I'm here too to vent frustrations! :)
  • Maiden_
    Options
    well done on quitting hun! I really am apprehensive about it :( but I can't let thoughts like that get in the way of me giving up the cigs once and for all. I need to understand that it's ok to crave a cigarette but it's NOT ok to act on the crave and light one.
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I have 40 pounds to lose as well and I know it's not going to be easy. Feel free to friend me and maybe we can encourage each other
  • Maiden_
    Options
    thank you Camille, will add you now :)
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Good luck!this is a great site that has helped me shed my baby weight. The best thing is I'm learning so much about nutrition and portion control that I feel like it's a real lifestyle change and not a fad diet.
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Welcome....I"m a Canadian living in Belgium. Well...you have taken your first big step so CONGRATULATIONS!!! Feel free to add me as a friend...the more the merrier. I just started myself and I hope to lose 28 pounds. I lost 7 prior to joining up....we can help get each other through those tough times I'm sure we all go through.

Cheers
  • Maiden_
    Options
    thank you both :) determined to stay in this for the long haul x