So Slow

Options
I am trying so hard. I have changed my eating habits, walking every day, going to the gym every other day, and the weight is coming of SOOOO slow. My chest, arms, legs, stomach are getting harder, but the weight won't come off. It has been two months. Any suggestions ?

Replies

• redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling yourself become harder then you are gaining muscle. One pound of fat takes up much more space than one pound of muscle, so when you lose lots of fat you will notice the loss of inches, but at the same time you are gaining muscle. Lose a pound of fat, but gain a pound of muscle, and the scale won't change, but your body sure will! The scale might not be showing what you want, but I'm sure your body is looking much better than it was!
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you only weigh yourself on the scale or do you take your measurements too ? Taking them could encourage you better as you would see the inches going away faster if you are building muscles.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with redwngs13!! Heck, I just put on a suit jacket this morning that I bought 5 years ago. It fits better now than it did then, and I currently weight 10 pounds more than I did then... The leaner muscle has definitely helped me lose a ton of inches, even though the scale is moving painfully slow!! :)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Try adding short bursts of more intense cardio into your workout. So when you are walking either try running for 30 secs or if you are on the treadmill, set the incline at 3+. Do that every 5 mins or so. That may get your heartrate higher and increase your calorie burn. Hang in there. I've been at this for 7 weeks and the first month I lost 13 and this month I have only lost 4. But my cloths are definitely fitting much better.
  • lulubenmom
    Options
    Not sure if you're doing this already. But stay away from all packaged products, the calories etc on them are often incorrect. In fact I read a study that was done by University where of all 76 products checked for accuracy of calories, fat content etc, they were ALL wrong. I've found going as natural as possible makes a big difference. The apple will be what calories it is, but will that protein bar???
  • befitcoachuk
    befitcoachuk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What is your split between cardio and strength training? The strength work is obviously what has caused the change in yoyr muscle 'hardness' (and an increase in muscle will result in a reduction in fat), but you will need to focus on the cardio work for more of the weight loss effect. Combining both is a always the best idea though :smile:

Keep at it though - even without the weight loss it sounds like you are making a positive difference to your life.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Make sure you balance your diet between dairy, protein, carbs, fruits, and veggies. Drink all of your water and stay below the recommended sodium level. When I started exercising, my muscles retained water. I was smaller but the scale didn't show it. Just keep going. It takes quite some time to gain our weight and it takes twice as long to lose it.
    I would suggest taking your measurements once a week until the scale starts to show all of your hard work. Hang in there!
  • keymo
    keymo Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies. I feel like I have a team now, which is the drive I need to stay with this.Thanks to all of you, and I wish you all the best.

Lindy