Effective Exercises that are gentle on the knees?

Options
I need good exercise ideas that are not hard on my knees, due to past injuries.

Replies

• skynyrdchick
    Options
    The only exercise I can say is the 1 my orthopedic surgeon told me after I blew out my knee; bike riding :o)
  • jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cycling is very easy on the knees. When I run my knees hurt, but cycling is very easy on the joints.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I swim, and I will walk on a treadmill but I can't/ don't run.

I also like floor/ mat exercises (e.g., pilates, leg lifts, traditional calisthenics sorts of stuff) focused on the legs.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Also, you might be able to do upper-body cardio like shadow boxing. Can you walk comfortably? Maybe do some power-walking?
  • fergy66
    Options
    cycling is the best option. it losens the joints and then keeps them mobile. You can try the elyptical but it bothered my knees. I've had 2 knee scopes and acl replacement.
  • Tinkywu
    Options
    Swimming?
  • lorriefagan
    lorriefagan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Swimming and using the elliptical. We just bought the Sole elliptical machine and it is so smooth it doesn't bother my knee at all.
  • ppenton
    ppenton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics
  • habibti
    habibti Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my knee, I LOVE the elliptical (but not all ellipticals are equal, I had to find one with a step/gate size and motion that felt good for me.) I also use a recumbent stationary bike, I like to use hand weights to work my arms at the same time. And of course there's always swimming - great for cardio health, but I never lost a pound in 6 years on the swim team! : \
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    Options
    Spinning (easy on the knees, hard on the booty ) and the elliptical has been pretty good for my knees.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I tore ligaments in my knee before. You want to avoid anything that cause impact on your knees, I think. Basically - cycling (outdoors or on exercise bike), elliptical trainer and swimming (as long as you avoid breast stroke, as there it can causes problems sometimes). I was also advised to build up my quads to help support the knee joint, so I do leg presses at the gym too, and some squats. No lunges! :smile:

C
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You might want to try deep water running. Available at many rec centres and WHAT a workout! :bigsmile: