When motivation is lacking...

wey1983
wey1983 Posts: 109
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
Hi everyone! I'm reaching out for any advice, suggestions, etc. About a year ago, I really got into fitness and healthy eating...I went to bootcamp twice a week, zumba once a week and went for walks/jogs whenever I could. I felt great, I looked great, it was an amazing time in my life! I've had a very rough winter, family emergencies, broken relationships and a few other things. So it seems like lately I have lost all motivation to do anything. I would LOVE to be a morning person, but I literally snooze for at least an hour. I cannot physically get out of bed! I've wanted to join the gym for the last 2 weeks and have yet to go there, even when its right up the street! I don't know whats going on with me...I want to get my energy back and get more active but for some reason i just can't. I know its winter and people get the 'Winter Blues' but I just feel lazy. Help! Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks <3

Replies

• I too love the snooze button! I'm beyond trying to be what I'm not, and I'm not a morning person. Therefore, I don't exercise in the morning. I have found that if I force myself to wake up early and get a slow start to the day with a cup of coffee and a little bit of reading, it also increases my energy level for the day. This helps to keep the energy and motivation to workout after work. Good luck!
  • It's always more fun with a buddy. Do you have a friend who you could walk or go to the gym with. Maybe you could do start with fun workouts like tennis, swimming, or hiking to get back in the swing of things. Once you start, it will become addictive. Usually when I don't feel like working out, I go ahead and put on my workout clothes and that usually gives me the motivation I need.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Hey,

I read your post and one thing that immediately came to my mind is:
    if you're not a morning person, plan your workout for the evening!!!
    I'm not a morning person either and I wouldn't be able to get up at 6 am or even 3 or 4 am (as some people on here do) to go to a gym or jog or whatever <shudder!!!>
    I rather go to gym after work. After all it doesn't matter at what time of day you exercise, as long as you DO exercise.
    So get moving, pack your bag and go to that gym.
    It's always one step first, then one more step... and one more....
    DO that first step and go there tonight!

MM
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    You kind of just have to boss yourself around. I have been known to tell myself (out loud) to shut up and quit whining.

Think of your feelings as the caboose and your will (discipline, commitment, whatever) as the engine. You do it because you said you would, committed to it, etc., not because you feel like it. Once you get going, you'll find that your feelings (the caboose!) have no choice but to follow -- your energy will increase and you'll feel amazing.

When I don't work out because I'm sluggish in the morning, I find that I stay sluggish all day. That's no fun. But when I get up and exercise anyway, just because I promised myself I would, I feel better within just a few minutes of exercising, and then I'm up and happy and more energized throughout the day. My daughters have even noticed the difference in my moods based on whether or not I've exercised!

(Funny thing: this engine/caboose thing is true in other parts of life as well -- like marriage!)

Another note: I am not a morning person either, but it quickly became obvious to me that waiting until the afternoon or evening to work out gave me far too many opportunities to come up with excuses and reasons to skip it. Now that I've been working out in the morning for several years now, I can't imagine anything else -- like I said, it changes my mood for the whole day. AND -- it raises your BMR for the rest of the day, too! Some people can stay committed to afternoon/evenings workouts. You'll just have to see what works best for you.
  • I have the same problem Today begins a new day for me and I am forcing myself to go to the gym today no matter how much I hate it
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    I've gone through the same thing and was in a similar funk this past January. What helped me get out of it is a friend asked me to join a biggest loser contest. I didn't "feel" like doing it but after I ignored my feelings and went ahead I got really excited and into it and found this website in addition. I've lost 5 pounds in the last two weeks and got down past a weight marker that has been my nemesis for 5 years.

Some advice that was given to me a couple years ago was to "take action despite how you feel". If you keep waiting to feel like you may never do it. Take just one action today that is positive. It doesn't have to be extreme. Maybe either just taking a 10 minute walk or drinking a bunch of water today. I find when I get myself up and moving the motivation will start to come. I think it's normal for people to go through what you are going through. You are a human being. Don't beat yourself up. Watch the negative self talk, we all do it and what we are doing is lying to ourselves. Put a postive thought in your head and keep repeating it. Don't give in to the negative self defeating talk.

Good luck to you.
  • wey1983
    wey1983 Posts: 109
    Thanks for the replies and good advice everyone. Its just feels so weird being in this 'funk' right now. But, hopefully my aunt will have a bootcamp tonight and I WILL GO. If not, I am going to that gym!! I just have to quit b - tching and do it!!

:-)
  • neuroticalme
    neuroticalme Posts: 20 Member
    Check other areas of your life as well, and make sure you're not depressed. It doesn't take full-on Major Depression to really sap the zest out of life. Other than that, nothing beats the buddy system.

My best friend and I love to cook and try out recipes, not only together, but it's a lot of fun to make batches of things for ourselves and then exchange some. It's also a great way to ensure variety in our diets and save money. For example: we'll each keep cooked rice on hand, and then exchange some dishes that go with it, like stir-fry or Indian food.
This discussion has been closed.