Tendonitis in the ankle

Options
So I have tendonitis in my ankle....I just recently found out. Anyway now when I try to exercise its just not happening, I have Insanity and was supposed to have started it in Jan. I tried the fitness test and my ankle would just not let me finish! Anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do to keep the irritation down. And no I don't want to do a different exercise. Thanks:)

Replies

• chrimsonfyre
    chrimsonfyre Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had tendinitis in my ankle after my Breast Cancer 3day walk. It will heal with time if you let it. I had to stay off of it as much as possible for 3-4 weeks. At night when I got home I would ice it and elevate it. My doc gave me a note so I could wear supportive tennis shoes to work during the day instead of my dress shoes.
    I eased slowly back into exercise once it healed so it would not injure it again. Have you talked to your doctor about physical therapy if needed?
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    I have TERRIBLE tendontitis in my knees so when i do certain excersizes that require alot of impact (jump rope) im in excrutiating pain next day....so when my excersize video calls for jump rope, i jog in place or do jump jacks insead because the impact on my knee isnt as bad...
  • roseyrose2000
    roseyrose2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well, i hate to say this but a different excerise is going to be inevitable. I have had ankle tendiniits in addition to Plantars facitis. I went to physical therapy for 2months and changed my excercise from running to spin class, elliptical and stair climber. It took about 3months to finally get better. Its been 3months and i have i increased my running milage to 18miles a week for the past month and a half and now, its coming back. This time, i know to stop running and go back to the other excerises. Stretching and ice definaltly seem to help. Good Luck, i know its frustrating but dont give up.
  • emmascott
    Options
    I know the chances of this helping are probably slim, but try nettle tea. I was looking up the benefits of it today and one was for tendinitis.

Em
    Xxx
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    Hey! I have had tendinitis in both my achillies tendons, wrists, and most recently my ankle and knee. Tendonitus isn't something that goes away overnight, in fact, mine flares up constantly if not managed properly. I would suggest going to a physical therapist a couple times to hook you up with exercises that will stretch and strengthen the area. Here is basically what my PT has me doing for my ankle http://www.livestrong.com/article/108322-exercises-tendonitis-ankle/

My doctor put me on anti-inflammatories, and I am not saying it is right for you because I am not a doctor. The advice I was given every time I have had it was to stop what you are doing, rest, ice, elevation, and then slowly start in to stretching and strengthening the area. Then once you have done that and are pain free, very slowly start working back into more intense exercises. I have come back from it before, and have been able to run, do P90X, and did insanity. It just takes time and be patient with your body, which I know is not easy. Good luck!