3 weeks now...Stomach????

Options
Hi, I have been following fitness pal and recording what I eat makes a BIG ifference. I never wanted to admit it.
I am a big girl and I have been exercising 4 times a week and I am under calorie goal almost everyday. My problem is my stomach! I have lost inches in my legs but not my waist. It would feel so good to go down a pant size. I am doing zumba 2 times a week, a boot camp and hiking (2-3 hours hiking). I really do not want to succumb to a no carb diet. What should I do for my stomach? I am def an apple shape! I have lost 5 lbs so far but weigh in tomorrow so I am thinking I will have lost more. Any advice?

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    It'll take some time. Most people lose fat in their legs, arms, necks, and faces before their stomachs. You might be losing fat in your stomach, but it's probably just a little bit for now. Don't give up, just keep doing what you're doing. :)

If you're not already doing so, try not to eat any starches after lunch or your afternoon snack.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My body sheds first in the last place I put on weight. So, I always lose my weight in my face and my hands before any where else. I highly recommend Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred for taking off inches in your middle. It helped to kick start my inch-loss significantly in only 4 weeks. Good luck!
  • mrsthomp0519
    Options
    Keep on the path, it will come. I have "trouble" spots as well. my thighs and butt won't let me go down a pants size but my waist will. you have to think, when we gain weight, we don't gain it all in 1 spot (although some spots seem to adsorb more than others, he he he) you are doing everything right just give it time, i know, that is the hardest thing to do. In the meantime if you find something that will target fat from a certain "spot" on your body i'd love to know, but in my experience, the only thing that takes the weight off my hips and thighs (even if i do leg workouts) is an all over weight loss. stay stong and good luck!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm not apple shaped at all, but I'm even finding it difficult to loose the extra padding in that area as well. I think that legs get in shape more quickly because you are ALWAYS moving your legs. Try doing some core specific workouts, like jab-cross punches, standing abs, crunches, elbow-knee standing crunches, high knees. Basically, do a jillian michaels workout. Lol. I have lost a ton of inches while doing banish fat boost metabolism, from my waist and hips. Working your core will help a lot to give you a more defined waist.
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, there is little you can do to decide where your body deposits to or removes fat from, and for most people, your body wants to keep fat around your waist. But what you can do it increase the muscle strength, size and tone in the area, so that when you lose the weight there it'll be more noticeable and less muffin top-ish. Make sure you are incorporating core workouts (any ab workouts, pilates, crunches, etc) into your workout and when you start losing there the difference will be really clear.

Keep up the great work!
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    30 day shred definitely!! its only 4.99 from amazon (UK) so theres no reason why! you only need hand weights and then your good to go! good luck! xx
  • RichB77
    Options
    Hi,

Ahhh, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought that!!!!! I'm in the same boat. Shoulders, neck and face seem to be getting better, but my tummy remains!!!!!!!
    Are you taking measurements as well as your weekly weigh-in? I've noticed small changes and going down a buckle size on my belt (yey!) i think i want immediate results, but i know it's a while off yet.
    Keep going though, you'll get there :flowerforyou:
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    The first thing you should do is read the Paper Towel Theory (http://www.peertrainer.com/LoungeCommunityThread.aspx?ForumID=1&ThreadID=15480) It will help put things in an unique perspective so you don't get discouraged :)
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    It'll take some time. Most people lose fat in their legs, arms, necks, and faces before their stomachs.
    I didn't know this?
  • xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for an hour a day everyday...kinda extreme but i feel its the only way i can stick to it and not take a break. As for carbs i swapped bread for tortilla wraps and haven't had pasta for a week and i've lost 4inches off my stomach...its hard but worth it....green tea is helping me a lot also. Hope this helps
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Blame it on genetics. I have also heard the last to come off is what has been there the longest. You can't target burn or spot reduce. You can only be patient, work hard, make sure you are eating enough and the right foods. And make sure to eat your exercise calories
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    just give it time. It seemed like it took FOREVER for me to drop my first pant size, now I'm having to buy new jeans every couple of months and am down 7 sizes (it's been almost a year). It will happen. You just have to have patience...I know how hard that is. I'm currently yelling at my scale because it's not moving "fast enough". I really should just put it away for a while...
    Congrats on the 5 pounds lost, though! Keep up the good work!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My body sheds first in the last place I put on weight. So, I always lose my weight in my face and my hands before any where else. I highly recommend Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred for taking off inches in your middle. It helped to kick start my inch-loss significantly in only 4 weeks. Good luck!

i'm just curious did you do the 30ds daily, every other day or what?
  • Kellyshyanne2011
    Options
    It takes time, plus you need to eat the recommended amount of calories a day...otherwise if you are too low your metabolism decreases. Just watch portion sizes and eat about 5 small meals a day. That is what I do...I am on the go all the time so I try to stock my car full of food weekly with healthy items.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, where the body adds/removes fat is genetic and there is nothing you can do about it. No matter what someone is trying to sell you...you cannot spot reduce fat.

Just continue to eat right and exercise and eventually the body will use the fat around your stomach.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It'll take some time. Most people lose fat in their legs, arms, necks, and faces before their stomachs.

It actually depends on the person and their body shape. Where you're saying that you more of an apple shape you'll lose it slower in your stomach. That being said, the working out is great.. keep it up! One o fthe best ways to lose inches in your stomach is to tone it, so be sure to do a lot of ab exercises. Be patient with yourself, we all have our issues (I can't lose in my thighs to save my life!).
  • marybbuggin
    Options
    Thanks for replying so quickly! I find it hard to eat small meals at work (teacher). I am awesome at drinking water as now I have my own bathroom in m classroom!
  • mommabear2002
    Options
    Well I know it can be frustrating. The only way to get the extra tummy fat to go is burning those calories. Core exercise will strengthen your muscles but its not going to isolate your fat lose in your tummy region. Just keep it going and burning that fat and you will eventually start seeing some change.
    FYI at 140lbs my butt is very full and round (honestly too big) but by the time I get down to 135lbs its almost flat and my tummy hasnt changed too much. Everyone gains and loses their fat in different areas first.
    Keep it up, all your hard work will pay off :)
  • light1980
    light1980 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and on top of not losing in my stomach, I am impatient, so when I all my pants still fit me the same, it is very discouraging. But, what I don't notice, other people do and when other people notice, then I take notice. I put on a pair of pants this weekend that I have not worn in over 2 years and I had to put a belt on!! It'll happen, you just have to be patient. I do a 20 minute zumba flat ab workout 4 times a week (sometimes 5), plus run anywhere between 2-4 miles a day (it depends on the time I get on the treadmill at the gym...we can only be on for 30 minutes but sometimes I get there early that I usually can squeeze in an extra 10 minutes),plus an additional 20 minutes of cardio on another machine, and weight training. Someone else mentioned green tea. I truly believe that it helps. During the month of Dec I started drinking it, but was not going to the gym because of the bad weather we had and the only other exercise I was getting was Zumba. I lost 6 pound in Dec. Try it,see if it helps!! Keep up the good work and stay positive...IT WILL HAPPEN!!:bigsmile:
  • light1980
    light1980 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and on top of not losing in my stomach, I am impatient, so when I all my pants still fit me the same, it is very discouraging. But, what I don't notice, other people do and when other people notice, then I take notice. I put on a pair of pants this weekend that I have not worn in over 2 years and I had to put a belt on!! It'll happen, you just have to be patient. I do a 20 minute zumba flat ab workout 4 times a week (sometimes 5), plus run anywhere between 2-4 miles a day (it depends on the time I get on the treadmill at the gym...we can only be on for 30 minutes but sometimes I get there early that I usually can squeeze in an extra 10 minutes),plus an additional 20 minutes of cardio on another machine, and weight training. Someone else mentioned green tea. I truly believe that it helps. During the month of Dec I started drinking it, but was not going to the gym because of the bad weather we had and the only other exercise I was getting was Zumba. I lost 6 pound in Dec. Try it,see if it helps!! Keep up the good work and stay positive...IT WILL HAPPEN!!:bigsmile: