I never thought I could do it....

Options
I still can't believe it but I jogged 3 miles last night on the track in a little less than 34 minutes!!!! See- In school I was always the fat kid that walked "the mile" in gym class and as an adult I never phatomed the thought of jogging. I have always loved walking and hated jogging. But last August the C25K program caught my eye and so I started it and have been working on it off and on since then. I still have not officially completed all the workouts but I was up to the 2 miles jog. So last night I set out to do 2 miles and possibly 2.5. And after 2.5 came and went, I said I am going to go just a little further, just a little further, and then tad da!! I made my goal of 3 miles. Wow!

Replies

• m2purple
    Options
    congrats! That must of been the best feeling in the world!
  • mrsdstarks
    Options
    That is awesome! What an inspiration for all.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I was never a runner when I was younger either. Hated it and hated to sweat. But I still can't believe I run many miles - on purpose!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That is inspiring cause I need to do 3 miles in 45 mins and I always give up :(...
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!
    YAY for you!! I hope you have a terriffic day! :)
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    way to go...that's such an accomplishment!! ♥
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I love those days when we manage to impress our toughest critic: ourselves!
  • clswinehart
    Options
    That is awesome! I can totally empathize! I was always the slowest and so I hated running in front of people and competing which was sad because my dad is a runner. I started running just a little bit in the dark where no one could see over 2 years ago and now I don't care who sees. I can run 2 miles and am aiming for for 3 consecutive miles and a 5K in May. Your post just added a little bit more inspiration that I can do this too!
  • bigcurt61
    bigcurt61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Amanda I'm proud of you!! Great job on your accomplishment and hard work.
  • sburt1
    sburt1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was the same way!! I HATED running and then last year I just started. Since then I have done 2 5K's and have another one on April 16th, and I have just signed up for my first ever Half Marathon!!

Congrats to your accomplishment!!
  • Lisabackontrack
    Options
    Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment!!
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! What an awesome accomplishment!!! Very proud of you!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    Congratulations! :happy:
  • teacher4380
    Options
    That is inspiring...I just did a 5k, but I mostly walked since the "pack" was so far ahead of me. I did do minimal running/jogging though. My goal was less than 59:59 for a time...I completed it in 51:30...I was stoked!!! I couldn't believe that I finished under my goal and by so much...that was also the day after I had finished a mile in 14 minutes....and seeing as how I did a mile in 30 minutes just 3 months ago! I want to do my husband's mandatory workouts of running a mile and a half in about 12 minutes...I can see that in my future!!! Keep up the good work!
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's Awesome! Congrats.

It's a cool feeling. I just recently had the same thing "happen" to me (like I didn't create this! lol). I NEVER like jogging/running. Always felt winded/fatigued within the first 1/2 mile. Never understood how ppl enjoyed it. But I have been working out steadily for the last year and increasing intensity with everything. So a few weeks ago when it was warm I set out to "just see how far I could go" Lo and Behold I was able to keep going the entire 3 miles!!!! I have done it 2 more x's since then!! So I went out and got a new pair of running shoes and plan to keep it up. Gonna look into a 5k and start a goal of decreasing my time (took me about 40 min for the 3 miles, and i did 3.9 miles the other day in 45")

Congrats again!!! Keep it up!!
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And best wishes to those of you working towards running/ jogging goals. It is possible. It just takes time, patience, and dedication. I am going to sign up for my 1st 5k on March 12th. Probably in the future, (very far away future) I will work towards completing a 10k. Keep up the good work MFP family!!