This topic is kinda for women only -

Options
I started birth control patches last Wednesday and they've been making me sick to my stomach - which if I eat it makes me feel better - but I've almost gained all the weight back that I've lost gained back 3lbs so far :( This does not make me happy!!!

I know I can suck on peppermints and that helps - and I"ve also bought some Pepto-Bismol tablets that I can suck on that will make the nausated feeling go away...

I'm going to get back to walking twice a day and working out to my Jillian Michael DVD's Mon - Wed - Frid - Sun....

Any other tips that you can give me!?!?

Replies

• sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have you been drinking enough water. Dehydration is a big one! If you are dehydrated, your body holds all of the water you consume in, rather than expelling it, causing extra weight.

Plus, drinking water when I don't feel good always helps me :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Did your diet change? Weight gain is not an uncommon side effect of most birth control. It's my understanding it's mostly due to water retention.
  • steffilily
    Options
    Doctors usually have to change birth control prescriptions to find one that fits the women. You might want to let your doctor know that the one you have is making you feel sick.
  • jabbogurl
    Options
    Maybe its just the type that you are on. Once I switched from Yasmine to Yaz, Yaz only had 3 sugar pills as opposed to the whole week. I was sick almost every day! It made me feel misserable and not so much fun throwing up :( Ask your doctor for a sample of a different kind and that may help.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would check in with the doc and discuss switching birth control methods...you should have to put up with feeling nauseous!
  • bbryant573
    bbryant573 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I haven't been drinking enough water...I need to go fill up my 44oz water jug...
  • bbryant573
    Options
    I have only been on the patch since Wednesday - I'm going to give it a little more time before I go to my doctor...the only reason I'm on the patch is b/c I am afraid that I'll forget to take the pill on a daily basis - and I don't like needle and I don't want an implant...
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Ortho-evra birth control patch since 2005. I LOVE IT. It is much easier to remember than the pill and if used correctly, I find my period is normal, lighter, and the patch does not fall off or get stuck to my clothes or anything.

It shouldn't be making you feel sick though! Are you putting it on your lower abdomen (like under your underwear?)..that's where I put mine. You can also put it on your arm and even your butt I think! I think you should wait a week or two and then contact your doctor. I think it did cause some weight gain (back in 2005) but nothing too bad.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have only been on the patch since Wednesday - I'm going to give it a little more time before I go to my doctor...the only reason I'm on the patch is b/c I am afraid that I'll forget to take the pill on a daily basis - and I don't like needle and I don't want an implant...

What about an IUD? I love my plain copper one. No hormones so no weight gain and it lasts for up to 10 years if you want it to, or back to normal fetility as soon as its removed if you decide to ttc.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

i keep mine next to my toothbrush. and take it when i am brushing my teeth it was the only way i could remind myself to do it it becomes second nature and you know you're going to brush your teeth at least twice a day and therefore see it twice a day iyswim
  • bbryant573
    Options
    I've got mine on my upper arm....today it's not affecting me. And I think you're right I'm going to wait to see what the other 2 that I have before I make a decision to call my doctor... I haven't been on any kind of birth control for over 2 years. So my body I would think just needs time to adjust to all the hormones...