How to input HRM calories as exercise?

Options
I tried out my HRM yesterday for an hour while I am not doing anything (sitting down on couch, getting up once or twice). It shows that I burned 200 calories in that hour. I was wearing a chest strap and it shows that my heart rate keeps going between 70-90. It seemed high to me but then again I am 150 pounds overweight. I hope I understand this correctly....the calories I burned during an exercise according to HRM, I subtract the calories I would have burned from just sitting down and then input that in MFP as exercise?

Replies

• redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I believe you should only use your HRM for exercise only. MFP calculates everyday calories burned already. I only use mine for exercise ad log it accordingly.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    what i do is I only input the calories that i burn from exercise. so if i do 30 minutes on the elliptical and burn about 375 cals then that what i enter on my exercise tab. hope this helps. not sure if this is correct but its the method that i use
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate unless your HR is elevated during exercise. So don't count any cals unless they are during exercise (cardio only as the amount for weightlifting isn't very accurate either)
    ....the calories I burned during an exercise according to HRM, I subtract the calories I would have burned from just sitting down and then input that in MFP as exercise?

Yes you should back those cals out. You would take maintenance cals divided by 24 divided by 60 to get cals per minute burned if not exercising then multiply that by the number of minutes exercised and take that off the HRM total.

So if your maintenance is 2200 you cals/min would be 1.53 so if in 30 min your HRM says 300 cals you would back out 46 (1.53*30) from the 300 and enter 254 in MFP.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I do not think this should be added as exercise. These are calories your body burns which are already calculated into your daily goal.
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi

My understanding is you should oly wear your heart rate monitor when you are doing exercise - MFP calculates the rest. So only enter in calories you burn on exercise on here...
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have debated this one too. If I do 60 mintues of intense cardio calorie burn I log the calories burned. If I do a long term activity, like playing at the park with my kids for a couple hours or walking and shopping, I will usually subtract my "resting calories".
  • steffilily
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate unless your HR is elevated during exercise. So don't count any cals unless they are during exercise (cardio only as the amount for weightlifting isn't very accurate either)
    ....the calories I burned during an exercise according to HRM, I subtract the calories I would have burned from just sitting down and then input that in MFP as exercise?

Yes you should back those cals out. You would take maintenance cals divided by 24 divided by 60 to get cals per minute burned if not exercising then multiply that by the number of minutes exercised and take that off the HRM total.

So if your maintenance is 2200 you cals/min would be 1.53 so if in 30 min your HRM says 300 cals you would back out 46 (1.53*30) from the 300 and enter 254 in MFP.

How do I find out what my maintenace cals are?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

How do I find out what my maintenace cals are?

Go to your goals tab, then on the top right is says Calories burned from normal daily activity, that is you maintenance cals.