can i buy a hrm with my hsa?

Options
Can I buy a heart rate monitor with my health savings account?
Would that be an eligible expense?

Replies

• amandakay23
    Options
    I wouldn't think so since mine wouldn't even let me buy a thermometer! I'd call though, you never know!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I would check with your HR people. There were a lot of changes in the HSA law that went into effect 1/1/11
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Maybe if your doctor would give you a prescription for one and you could order it through a pharmacy. I used to be a pharm tech and I know we got other medical supplies for people that way. Good luck!
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    something I can answer :) As I work for a company that administers health savings plans

You can, with a doctors note.

You can get just about anything related to losing weight, WITH a doctors note.

That inclues Weight watchers, exercise equipment, gym memberships, alli, and many more

It doesn't include foods, unless you're on a special diet because of say Celiac disease, than it can cover the difference between normal food and the cost of the special foods(Say a loaf of normal bread is $2.00, and the special bread is $3, you can claim the $1 difference)

Just keep your receipts & dr note!
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    deleting second post
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    They are now requiring a prescription for everything... But they are notorious for reimbursing by mistake. I would buy one and submit it. If you get denied, submit it again... :)
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    I would check with your HR people. There were a lot of changes in the HSA law that went into effect 1/1/11

most of that had to do with OTC items, and that is just that you have to have doctors notes to get things like aspirin, where up until now, you did not :)
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I called Humana (my company) and they said that I could not unless I had a Dr.s note stating that I had a heart condition that required the use of one:ohwell: You would think that insurance companies would want to spend their...or our money...on prevention. I would have loved to get the BodyBugg but instead bought a cheap one from Wal-Mart...a waste of money.
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    HSA is not an insurance program, it's money you set aside pre tax dollars. . and we're not allowed to ask what condition means they have to have something. .as long as your doctors says it's medically necessary for you to have this item, HEPA laws won't allow us to say what is that condition. . you would not believe the stuff people do. . colonic massage, all sorts of herbs/treatments. .. pen*s enlargement drugs, etc, as long as they have a dr note, they can have it
  • stephy6
    stephy6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would also be careful with trying to submit it and being reimbursed by mistake from any medical reimbursement account. They have increased medical reimbursement account audits on individuals' who have these accounts and I would hate for someone to get in trouble for being reimbursed for something that should have had a prescription associated with it. My husband has had his FSA for three years and already been randomly audited twice. I also know from being in HR of some of my employees who have been audited on their HSA account. So just be careful and always check with the company who administers your medical reimbursement account to make sure you can be reimbursed (legally) for certain items.