I have a ? for people who eat their exercise calories??

Options
I am not opposed to eating my exercise calories but I am having a hard time most days. Some days I do because I really feel better when I can keep my net over 1200 calories but some days it is really hard. If I am eating super healthy I can almost never hit it. I know (for me) I feel better if I do but I also am having issues eating when I am not hungry because I feel like that is what got me here in the first place.

Any advice? I know there are small things that add calories like nuts but I am even finding that when I try to sneak that extra snack in, I am eating less of my meals. Are eating more fattening meals like lean ground beef instead of chicken or adding more cheese in good options?

Another thing is, last week I had a really hard time eating them, and I know I lost an extra pound than I did when I ate my exercise calories the week before BUT I felt like I had less energy. I am trying to convince myself that that extra pound wasn't worth the feeling of exhaustion but when I have so far to go it did make me a little happy to lose and extra lb.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth. I eat my exercise calories some days and not other days. My body seems to respond better to the zig-zag method so I never eat the same amt of calories every day. Some days I net 1100, some days I net 1600.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    u could try somethin like adding healthy peanut butter 2 somethin. it's pretty much 200calories a serving. or just eat a servin by itself instead of adding it 2 a piece of bread. if u eat an apple u can add it onto that.

maybe that'll help? :flowerforyou:

i don't always eat my exercise calories. 2day it's just a struggle 2 get to 1200calories b/c i'm eatin so clean. even when i add a bag of chips 2 it i still didn't net over 1200 til i added fruit. & this isn't even a workout day. lol
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just want to say to you that you should not think of a calorie as a BAD thing. There is a common misconception that calories are the devil etc. Eat what MFP tells you and feel free to eat your workout calories. You need the fuel and don't feel guilty. You are doing the right thing by getting in shape and eating right... I wish you so much luck.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them...sometimes I don't. Calories are the fuel that keep us going...so if you are hungry I say eat them!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Like you said eat higher fat/calorie versions of food you are eating already such as Milk, cheese, yogurt, salad dressings. Add olive oil to soups and sauces, add avocado to sandwiches and salads. Eat nut butters with you regular snacks etc.
  • JaneOAnderson
    JaneOAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel that if I am hungry and I have the extra calories available, I will eat them. I also exercise some days just so I can eat more--especially if I am going out to a restaurant or to a house party or something. If I don't eat enough and I exercise, I can't sleep at night. Then I feel lousy the next day and end up eating in an attempt to make myself feel better. So, my recommendation is to eat to where you feel good. If you don't feel like eating, then don't. If you are hungry, then eat--Just make sure you keep eating healthy foods!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This summer when I fist started cooking for myself, I had trouble eating all of my calories because I ate a lot of "light" foods and not doing a lot of real cooking, and was eating around 800 a day, not to mention going to the gym for about 2 hours at a time and burning 400 or more calories. I lost weight, which felt great, but it wasn't healthy. I was sleepy all the time, I took a 2 hour nap each day and was going to bed early. I've found that eating enough calories is definitely more beneficial both physically and emotionally than losing weight by not eating enough.

One way I get calories and nutrition is peanut butter. Since a small amount has a lot of calories, you can eat a serving with something like an apple and not be stuffed, but still satisfied, and you get nutrition from it in the form of protein.
    Cooking with olive oil also provides calories, makes food taste more flavorful, and is better for you than other cooking substances like butter. Try sauteeing veggies with olive oil and spices.

EDIT: wow in the time I took to type this, someone else made the same suggestion! haha
  • mama_mia3
    Options
    I kinda look at my "post workout snack" as an energy filler rather than a calorie filler...for me it's a mind game. I've been struggling myself eating all of my calories even without my workout cals added back in. I'm not eating junk during my meals by any means and what I have been eating is conciderable low calorie meals. Friends and MFP are telling me to eat more, but I know exactly what you mean by some days you just can't!! But if I try to think of it as an energy intake rather than a calorie intake I can always muster to eat a handful of almonds or a cup of yogurt inbetween meals or after a workout. Who doesn't want extra energy?! So that's what I've been doing lately. Mind over matter.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think you need to listen to your body. If you are feeling tired and sluggish that means you need them. I go through the same thing. I think I need to get better about eating earlier in the day. I hold off in case I don't work out but then I have too many calories left in the evening. I was slacking and let myself go under 1200 and I saw my weight loss slow down. Yesterday afternoon I did have some almonds and I did ok with calories. I also think I need to stop worrying so much about the extra little calories. I was eating my breakfast sandwich w/o butter, why?? At the end of the day I needed more calories. Look for things like that, that you may be omitting unncessarily.

Best of luck.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself and how often do you think about this stressing you out? If its daily on both accounts its too much. Its about getting healthy and yes the scale is a awesome tool but doesnt always be the main indicator. Do you do measurements? Are you always over on sodium and short on water? Weight is a funny thing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do better when I eat bigger meals for breakfast and lunch, so I'm not trying to cram all my extra calories at the end of the day. And I like to have a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime, so there's 150-ish calories.
  • ethel64
    Options
    I go back and forth. I eat my exercise calories some days and not other days. My body seems to respond better to the zig-zag method so I never eat the same amt of calories every day. Some days I net 1100, some days I net 1600.

im exactly the same, i know the extra calories are there if i want them but i dont always use them, i really think its whatever works for you personally, only you know the way your body reacts with them or not......just my opinion..
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself and how often do you think about this stressing you out? If its daily on both accounts its too much. Its about getting healthy and yes the scale is a awesome tool but doesnt always be the main indicator. Do you do measurements? Are you always over on sodium and short on water? Weight is a funny thing.

I usually only weigh once a week (Wednesday) but I hopped on the scale on Saturday and was down 3lbs since the prior Wednesday. It is stressing me out daily to "reach" 1200 net calories. I have read so many posts on here about the "debate" and "starvation mode" and horror stories that is has me freaked out. Then on top of that I was feeling less energetic that the previous week so I put two and two together. I do measure every 15 days, and am doing great on measurements. I drink 96+ ounces of water a day, I do go over sodium some days, but not most. I am still learning, it's been a little less than 6 weeks. I know I am thinking about this to much, but I can't stop!!
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Like you said eat higher fat/calorie versions of food you are eating already such as Milk, cheese, yogurt, salad dressings. Add olive oil to soups and sauces, add avocado to sandwiches and salads. Eat nut butters with you regular snacks etc.

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if this was a healthy option. I can add olive oil to veggies or sauces instead of trying not to have it. I just didn't know if this was still "healthy" or if I needed to just have more fruit & veggies that seems impossible to me.

Thank you everybody. I know everyone is different! I think eating a net of 1200 is best for me but just having a hard time doing it. I am still working out 7 days a week so it seems like a daily battle!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a little more then my 1200 calories on my exercise days but never eat the whole amount..I find that I feel better when I do also...but then there's times when I can't...I never force myself to eat more I just make sure I eat 5-6 small meals a day and that's it..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if this was a healthy option. I can add olive oil to veggies or sauces instead of trying not to have it. I just didn't know if this was still "healthy" or if I needed to just have more fruit & veggies that seems impossible to me.

Thank you everybody. I know everyone is different! I think eating a net of 1200 is best for me but just having a hard time doing it. I am still working out 7 days a week so it seems like a daily battle!

For some reason in the 1950's or 60's fat got a bad rap. But if fat comes from the right sources it is healthy and essential. A balanced diet consist of fat ranging from 20-35% of total calories
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ugggg,for me its so hard to eat back calories burned i would have to eat 2,000plus on most days and I cant do it.Im more hungry on the days I dont work out than on the days I do.Such a tricky thing.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I find all it usually takes to add in calories is a serving of grains, brown rice in quinoa, and the numbers are there. I am sometimes under 1200 net calories, but not often. I don't stress over those low days, and I try not to stress over the days that I go over some, but that is harder for some people than others. This is a learning journey, so like someone else said, try to think about calories as fuel, a neutral concept, and then do as your body tells you to do regarding them.
    Good luck.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat! The problem with modern diets of fast food, restaurant and processed foods is that there are unhealthy levels in them.

But if you add a small amount of healthy fat to your diet, thats a good thing (and adds necessary calories). Healthy fats are things like olive oil, coconut oil, almonds, peanut butter, dairy products, lean beef, yogurts, etc.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Isn't it weird the days you eat super healthy you don't feel as hungry or like you can't reach your target? Just shows how much more filling REAL food is over processed or junk foods.