Putting one foot in front of the other = Success!

Options
‎2 years ago I started my journey to become a runner. I was always involved in team sports throughout my school years. But as the years passed so did my involvement with the sports I used to identify myself with as an 'athlete'. Then came college,marriage, work, and then babies. With each new chapter came the addition of a few more pounds. I found myself at 30 years of age weighing in at 244 pounds and not recognizing the person staring back at me in the mirror. I decided then and there to reclaim my inner athlete. But how would I do this when all the sports I loved so were team based and didn't fit into my schedule any longer. The only thing I could come up with is become a runner. I had never run in my life, other than a few warm up laps around a gym! But I laced up my shiny new sneakers and set out on my journey to become a runner.

At that time I couldn't run, I jogged, and not all that well. I did this for ~ 1minute at a time at speeds of 4.5mph. And it was hard, that was really hard at 244 pounds to get my body to even move that fast. But ya know what I did it. Time and time I showed up at that gym, I hit that treadmill or the track and I put one foot in front of the other. It took me over 6 months to run a full mile at 5mph pace. I still remember that day and how accomplished I felt when I could say I ran a mile!! Once I hit that first mile there was just no stopping me it was as if I could fly. (Well at least I thought I could in my head.) So I registered for a 10K. Not bothering to think ummmm, try a 5K first! It never even crossed my mind to start small, because I knew I could do it, I believed in myself and my abilities for the first in a very long time. And ya know what I smashed that thing! I walked only twice during the entire 6.2 miles, finishing in just over 1:20. That was april of 2009. There have been many other 10K's, a few 5K's sprinkled in, a half marathon, and soon to be added to the list my first FULL marathon in November this year.

I had no idea where running would take me. I had no idea that if I just put one foot in front of the other and kept on moving that I would find myself again; along with my courage, my strength, my self love, and my love for this journey we call life.

Today I did my fartlek (speed training) on the treadmill at 8mph intervals. It's amazing what you can accomplish if you just try-- starting by putting one foot in front of the other, it's amazing where you'll go!!!

Replies

• UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    :flowerforyou: encouraging for the rest of us! thanks for posting!

Edited to add: :laugh: might be before your time, but the title of your post reminds me of that bass and rankin animated xmas feature w/ the Burgermeister Meisterburger... :laugh:
  • twogoots
    twogoots Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    what an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing. Great work.
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Thanks...I have just started running too!!! I'm only running at 6.4km per hour and I'm finding that ok. It's good to know that eventually I will be running at a faster speed...with my fingers crossed to make it to a half marathon one day.

Thanks for sharing....wonderful :smokin:
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: encouraging for the rest of us! thanks for posting!

Edited to add: :laugh: might be before your time, but the title of your post reminds me of that bass and rankin animated xmas feature w/ the Burgermeister Meisterburger... :laugh:

ME TOO!! Everytime I hear someone say that I think;
    walk1.jpg
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Now you can official say "I AM a runner!"

I think that makes a difference. In the beginning you say "I run" but when you realize that the change has been made to its something you do to who you are is amazing.
  • kbdelarosa
    kbdelarosa Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I am on week 7 of the C25K and and doing my first 5K in early May. I am already looking forward to a 10K! You are an inspiration!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Thank you for being such an inspiration. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCCESS!!!

I can't WAIT to hear how you rock that marathon in November :)

Charmagne
  • jwheele
    jwheele Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. What a great inspiration you are. Congrats!
  • Spinmedry
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your success!
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! Thank you so much for sharing...You are an inspiration! Keep us posted on your journey to the Full marathon.
  • cpax
    cpax Posts: 2
    Options
    That is awesome!!

I would like to become a runner too. I am signing up for a 5K in March so we'll see how it goes from there.
  • maipai21
    maipai21 Posts: 146
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm aspiring to be able to become a "runner" one day too :)
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Great story - keep on running!!! :smile:

Trying to get back into running myself!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your success. I wish I could run but I have dislocated both knees..however I do what I can...I am on the treadmill walking and also doing the elliptical...and I also Zumba...

Keep on running!!!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
    And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
    If you never get up on your feet
    Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
    A fast walking man is hard to beat

If you want to change your direction
    If your time of life is at hand
    Well don’t be the rule be the exception
    A good way to start is to stand

If I want to change the reflection
    I see in the mirror each morn
    You mean that it's just my election
    To vote for a chance to be reborn
  • outersoul
    Options
    I love this post. I'm in that same boat right now. I just started running, two days ago, and it's tough but your post has really encouraged me. I'm running my first 5k in May.
  • octopusami
    octopusami Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I ran a full marathon in 2005 but it wasn't until this part year that I considered myself a runner because I am out there everyday doing 3 miles in the morning before work and actually enjoying it.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to go out and run tonight but seeing this made me do it, one step in front of the other. Couldnt be easier.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!