Nike+

Options
I wanted to see if anybody knows how accurate the Nike+ is (not GPS version) when calculating how far you run. I know the calories are accurate, but this past weekend I ran a 5k race in Atlanta and used my Nike+ so I could figure out how many calories I was burning. However it said that I ran 4.59 miles, but a 5k is only 3.1 miles.
So I was just wondering if the Nike+ system is accurate or if maybe the race itself wasn't set up right.
Thanks.

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You have to calibrate it to your pace for it to be accurate. Check the instructions on how to calibrate. It's super easy.
  • BenJoeM
    Options
    I wanted to see if anybody knows how accurate the Nike+ is (not GPS version) when calculating how far you run. I know the calories are accurate, but this past weekend I ran a 5k race in Atlanta and used my Nike+ so I could figure out how many calories I was burning. However it said that I ran 4.59 miles, but a 5k is only 3.1 miles.
    So I was just wondering if the Nike+ system is accurate or if maybe the race itself wasn't set up right.
    Thanks.

You need to calibrate it and do it a few times. It recommends you go up to a track and walk a mile and also run a mile. You will want to do this a couple of times. Once you have done it about 4 or 5 times it will be 98% accurate. Also depends on where your chip is. Make sure you have the chip in your laces or you have Nike+ Shoes. Both of those will make a difference.
  • iamanne
    Options
    Once calibrated it is pretty accurate. I calibrate mine every month or so just to make sure, but it has been very close since the first time I calibrated it. To do it, just run a mile at your regular pace (find a place you know for sure is a mile). Tap end workout. The Nike+ may say somehting other than a mile. In the summary of your workout tap calibrate, then srcoll the mileage to one mile. You are now calibrated. Run the same mile again to double check the calibration.
  • leb89
    leb89 Posts: 54
    Options
    cool, thanks guys! I will get on that this weekend!