What's worse?

Options
Okay... so I know that it is important to watch both your sugar and sodium intake, but I'm wondering which is worse to go over?

Replies

• vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering that too. I never go over my sodium level but I always go over on sugar...not because of sweets I eat but because of the fruits in my regular diet...
  • RonieLisbeth
    Options
    isay sodium because it makes you bloated and makes you retain water for longer lol
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. If you're a diabetic, you should stay away from the sugar; and if you're hypertensive, you should stay away from the salt. If you're both, you have a lot of work on your hands finding foods to eat.
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    isay sodium because it makes you bloated and makes you retain water for longer lol

That's what I'm thinking... but still curious...
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I personally don't pay a lot of attention to sugar but try much more to watch my sodium. There's no science or reason, watching sodium is just more important to me.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would say sugar. That is just my opinion though. I am diabetic, so that has a lot to do with why I think sugar is worse. Eating too many carbs will pack on the pounds. It also keeps your blood sugar up and makes the body hold on to fat. I have trouble staying under my sodium limit too. I have found that if you buy something low carb or low fat, they compensate for the lack of taste with sodium. It is still important to watch your sodium. Also, eating too much of it will make you retain water thus making you weigh heavier. My trainer tells me if I eat "whole foods" I wont have to worry about sodium. That is easier said than done. Remember I am not a pro, this is just my opinion.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I wonder about this too, although I really have to watch both so it probably doesn't matter...lol But still curious.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't even watch my sugar intake since I'm a sugar junky. I worry more about my carbs, fat, and for me, iron. Never gave much thought to sodium to be honest. Since my blood pressure is good and my sugar level is on the low normal side, I don't worry. I know sodium isn't my biggest thing anyway, sugar is a whole other story!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'd say sugar, unless you have high blood pressure or are genetically predisposed to high blood pressure.

The sugar is going to play with your mood, your sense of hunger and fullness, make it hard to break a habit for sweets, and eventually predispose you to diabetes. If you don't break the sugar habit, you're always going to struggle with your weight.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. If you're a diabetic, you should stay away from the sugar; and if you're hypertensive, you should stay away from the salt. If you're both, you have a lot of work on your hands finding foods to eat.

ha!
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    Your body needs both sugar and salt. Depending on your medical history, I'd say focus on the sugar intake. If you're drinking enough water, the sodium should balance itself out. I used to think that sugar is the worst thing in the world and you shouldn't eat it ever...mistake. Making an enemy of food drove me crazy and even though I was thinner, I was very unhappy. My recommendation would be to try to eat as much unprocessed food as possible. Stay in the produce and meat sections of the grocery store, try to stay out of the aisles as much as possible. You'll find you'll be eating better food with less sugar and salt without even thinking about it. And when you've done that and the chocolate comes around, it's not a sin to have a piece :)

Sidenote, if you love salty foods, try sea salt. Less sodium than table salt but still a lot of flavor :)
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would say from a weight loss perspective too much sugar is worse. But for long term overall health too much salt is worse.
  • ammccarter
    Options
    I don't think it's that simple. I think you have to figure out what types of sugar you are taking in. Refined sugar from sweets is much worse for the body than natural sugars from fruits.
    Sodium intake is greatly reduced when you stay away from processed foods, but it's almost impossible to keep to what professionals say is the recommended amount. (I think it's gotten a bad rep personally)
    It all depends on you and your body's needs.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I restarted my journey almost 2 months ago...I started tracking sugars but due to the high volume of fruit I eat I was always over my sugar so I stopped tracking it. I try to stay under my sodium-some days its easier and some days its not.
  • Losing2Live69
    Options

Amen to that!! I am both and I have a time keeping both below my goal! It it is low carb or low fat it is usually high in sodium. If it is lower in sodium it usually has more fat and carbs...this makes planning meals very challenging at times!
  • Losing2Live69
    Options
    Your body needs both sugar and salt. Depending on your medical history, I'd say focus on the sugar intake. If you're drinking enough water, the sodium should balance itself out. I used to think that sugar is the worst thing in the world and you shouldn't eat it ever...mistake. Making an enemy of food drove me crazy and even though I was thinner, I was very unhappy. My recommendation would be to try to eat as much unprocessed food as possible. Stay in the produce and meat sections of the grocery store, try to stay out of the aisles as much as possible. You'll find you'll be eating better food with less sugar and salt without even thinking about it. And when you've done that and the chocolate comes around, it's not a sin to have a piece :)

Sidenote, if you love salty foods, try sea salt. Less sodium than table salt but still a lot of flavor :)

Sea salt and table salt have the same amount of sodium. Salt is salt. The difference is the way they are obtained.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142