Bananas are going bad!!! What should I do with them?

Options
HeatherShrinking
HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
Help! I bought some bananas and they are all going bad on me (guess I should have gotten greener ones). Anyone have any recipes/ideas for bananas that are going bad?

I tried the Nutella/Banana wontons recipe last night - they were amazing, but I can't have just 1 (or 3 or even 5). :blushing:

So what else can I do with these things? Eating them plain is getting a little boring.

Replies

• djnelson1024
    Options
    U have a banana bread recipe need atleast three of em.
  • RonieLisbeth
    Options
    get a blender and milk (:
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    make banana bread...check out Hungry Girl recipes :-)
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Make banana bread with them. I only use bad bananas for this anyways. If you use applesauce instead of crisco (I think), it makes it a little bit better for you...
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
  • djnelson1024
    Options
    I have one I mean LOL 2 cups flour 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter tsp vanilla 1 tsp baking soda 2 eggs mix it all together cook at 350 for 45 minutes to one hour check it with toothpick or fork to see if inside is still soft
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    When bananas start to turn brown i freeze them for when i make banana bread.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I'm going w/ banana bread. But you should wait until they are totaly brown. Brown bananas make the BEST banana bread!!
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    If you have an ice cream maker, you can make banana soft serve "ice cream." Or peel them, cut them into thick slices, and freeze them for future smoothies.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    You can mash them up and freeze them in ice cube trays. Store them in freezer bags, then you can use them for smoothies, add to oatmeal, etc.
  • twinkier
    twinkier Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You can freeze them and use them for smoothies and banana bread or muffins later. I usually peel them when they start to get bad and put them in freezer bags and throw them in the freezer. they are good for a long while in the freezer (about 3-4 months, sometimes longer). I then just break off what I need for a smoothie, my fake ice cream recipe, or for baking.
  • ajstrs
    ajstrs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Slice them onto a tray covered in parchment paper and freeze them. Then add to smoothies (or just eat outright for a chilly sweet snack.)
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    When bananas start to turn brown i freeze them for when i make banana bread.

i agree. i freeze mine and use them for smoothies
  • twinkier
    twinkier Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great information and recipes.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    look for a healthy banana cake recipie!
    or
    smoothie
    or
    drop scones/small pancakes with them mashed in the mixture(makes them really moist)!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have always heard to freeze them whole, this will brown them right away and then they are wonderful for making banana bread. Good luck.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    Depends how bad they are. If they are still edible you can slice it and put peanut butter (thinly) on them and freeze them, or roll it in a tablespoon of chocolate chips as a treat. I've also made "banana" ice cream with the kids I work with; just stick the banana in a food processor and tada.

If they're beyond the edible stage I don't have anything particularly healthy right off but you can freeze them and use them for cooking later, just peel them and put them in a baggie.

I do have a recipe for 'Banana Snackin' Bars' which I don't think is too high in calories but I'll have to look it up later for you.
  • hudzis
    Options
    I agree. Make them into smoothies with orange juice, frozen berries, and ice cubes. Fresh berries are hard to find in winter, so use frozen. They were picked in season. I make mine without milk, ice cream, or yogurt so there's no added fat or sugar. Just the sugars from the fruit, which are good sugars anyway.
  • BACKDROPsilhouette
    Options
    Take off the peels and put them in the freezer in a bag. That way they won't go bad and you can use them for smoothies over the next week or so.

EDIT: OH, and if you make a smoothie...use almond milk in it instead of regular milk. Less calories, plus it's delicious.
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i slice mine and freeze them flat on some cling film on a plate. Then when frozen put all the pieces in a freezer bag and keep in the freezer.
    i eat the pieces before i go for my long runs for energy.
    also they're good as a sweet treat when you are craving sugar :smile: