Favorite Easy & Healthy Cookbook

Options
stephy6
stephy6 Posts: 17 Member
I've heard a lot about the Clean Start, Eat Clean Cookbooks but my husband and I are really looking for a healthy cookbook with somewhat quick and easy recipes that use more common ingredients. When we went to the bookstore to look around there were a lot of cookbooks we liked but many had vegan or specialized ingredients that we don't really want to buy at this point. I'm trying to slowly get him to eat more healthy foods so something that is simple and easy would be best.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Looney Spoons
    Eat Shrink and be Merry
    Crazy Plates
    all by the same authors, my wife and I use these all the time, we also just started using the Eat clean cook books.
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    try weight watchers recipes.. they are pretty easy and yummy!! we have like 12 WW cookbooks at home and they have everything from breakfast to dessert and duck to pizza... they are really yummy... and most of the time you can just google them and try out a few before you buy the books. we love the ww taco salad.. YUMMY!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Biggest Loser cookbooks.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Looney Spoons
    Eat Shrink and be Merry
    Crazy Plates
    all by the same authors, my wife and I use these all the time, we also just started using the Eat clean cook books.

I love those!!!!
  • soleste
    Options
    This is not in the "health food section" but a book that I love is the Meatless Gourmet books. It has very easy recipies and tells the nutritional break down of the recipe. Everything I have made from this has been delicious and I get many requests for the recipies. I have had them for about 15 years now.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend also swears by the eat clean book, though i havent looked at it yet :)
  • nala67
    Options
    bump
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    better homes and garden puts out quite a few books with quick recipes. look in a good book store for them.
  • e3slisa
    Options
    :wink: I swear by Gino D'acampo - The Italian Diet book, it is full of wonderful, simple, healthy receipes, its Fantastico !!!! :smile:
  • stephy6
    Options
    Those who have the Eat Clean Cookbooks, do you find the recipes to be more involved or take more time to create? Also, do the ingredients tend to be ones you would have to find in the Organic or Healthy section of a food store? I really would like to try eating more clean but I'm afraid the recipes might not be simple enough for me starting out.
  • paroxysm
    Options
    Favorite would be
    Lazy Low Cal Lifestyle Cookbook by Becky Clark

*edit to add- you might enjoy the
    Eat this not that cookbook "Now Eat This, 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Food's..." Some of them are so delish, and not difficult. He uses the same ingredients over and over.

I also use cheap cookbooks/grocery store cookbooks and just swap out the ingredients to make them lower cal/healthier/lower sodium.

Favorite websites:
    Cooking Light http://www.cookinglight.com/(look in their 'super fast', 'easy', '5 ingredient', etc)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Cooking/Low-Calorie/300-Calories-or-Less-per-Serving/Main.aspx

http://400caloriesorless.com/

http://www.eatingwell.com/

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=howItWorks (look for quick and easy and then narrow it down to healthy low cal)
  • fitmom4ever
    Options
    My absolute favorite cookbook has to be Cooking Light 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook. It gives you ideas for the full meal, not just one dish, as well as delicious dessert recipes, all quick and easy to make using ingredients commonly found in most households. And most of the dishes are under 400 calories. They have the full nutritional info under each recipe, and a suggested grocery list on the edge of each page to make sure you have all the ingredients needed for the full meal. I also love that my 3 yr old daughter will eat most of the meals without a fight, and there are a variety of cultural influences to the cookbook as well, including Meditteranean, Oriental, Mexican, Southern, Italian, Greek, Moroccan, and Carribbean.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Those who have the Eat Clean Cookbooks, do you find the recipes to be more involved or take more time to create? Also, do the ingredients tend to be ones you would have to find in the Organic or Healthy section of a food store? I really would like to try eating more clean but I'm afraid the recipes might not be simple enough for me starting out.

Some of them do use ingredients that are not as common, but the recipes are quicker and easier than most cook books and/or recipes.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I love the biggest loser family cookbook. Great easy recipes, that are all made from staple ingredients. Give you all the calories, fats, sodium, etc. Even desserts!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I get 'Healthy Cooking " magazine put out by same group as 'Taste of Home'.... in each issue they remake 3-4 common recipes over to be healthy. I look forward to each issue (6X/yr.) as they are geared for that season.

QVC had a special I wanted that looked good also with 2 cook books from Taste of Home...one was"Comfort Food " made Diet", the other was a "Guilt Free Cooking" but do not remember the specifics. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.
  • stephy6
    Options
    Thanks for all the great recommendations! I have checked them all out on Amazon and made a list to bring to the bookstore today so I can look through them. The Cooking Light and Biggest Loser cookbooks look great and I like that they have the nutritional facts as well. I checked out the Looney spoons, crazy plates, etc but they don't seem to be selling them on Amazon. I'm going to look at Barnes & Noble to see if they are there.
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook- recipes that have more of your "normal ingredients"
    Biggest Loser Cookbooks
    Betty Crocker 300 Calories or less

Hope this helps!