WEIGHT LOSS VS FAT LOSS

Options
Weight loss is obviously how many pounds of body weight we lose, and it is the only thing a scale can tell us. It includes weight lost from fat reduction, muscle atrophy, decreased water and nutrient retention, and decreased contents of the digestive tract. This is not really what most of us want to focus on. Instead, we want to focus on “fat loss,” which improves our health, and in the minds of some, changes our aesthetic appeal.

A significant change in diet definitely results in both faster fat loss and weight loss, as it is easier for most of us to cut a few hundred calories from our daily intake than to run a few extra miles. However, some of what we see on the scale comes from a reduction in muscle mass and water weight- two things that make the numbers look better but make us feel worse. Thus, the weight loss from diet alone can be very deceiving.

When we add exercise to a healthy diet, we get to keep our muscle mass and even increase it over time. We delay the reduction in metabolism that comes as we lose weight (carrying extra weight around all day burns calories, after all). We increase our energy instead of lose it as our bodies struggle to preserve our stores of fat. Plus, we get bodies that are more capable, making daily tasks easier to accomplish and opening up recreational opportunities we might not have had before.

In many ways, diet and exercise are like our left and right feet. We all had to learn how to walk, but once we got used to it, it sure made getting to where we wanted to go a whole lot easier.

It’s OK to start with either changes to your diet or your activity level, but you have to add the other component before long. Otherwise, you might just find yourself circling back to where you started

:flowerforyou: THIS ARTICLE HELPED ME, SO I WANTED TO SHARE:flowerforyou:

Keep it up everyone and remember you are worth it!:heart:

Replies

• emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is obviously how many pounds of body weight we lose, and it is the only thing a scale can tell us. It includes weight lost from fat reduction, muscle atrophy, decreased water and nutrient retention, and decreased contents of the digestive tract. This is not really what most of us want to focus on. Instead, we want to focus on “fat loss,” which improves our health, and in the minds of some, changes our aesthetic appeal.

A significant change in diet definitely results in both faster fat loss and weight loss, as it is easier for most of us to cut a few hundred calories from our daily intake than to run a few extra miles. However, some of what we see on the scale comes from a reduction in muscle mass and water weight- two things that make the numbers look better but make us feel worse. Thus, the weight loss from diet alone can be very deceiving.

When we add exercise to a healthy diet, we get to keep our muscle mass and even increase it over time. We delay the reduction in metabolism that comes as we lose weight (carrying extra weight around all day burns calories, after all). We increase our energy instead of lose it as our bodies struggle to preserve our stores of fat. Plus, we get bodies that are more capable, making daily tasks easier to accomplish and opening up recreational opportunities we might not have had before.

In many ways, diet and exercise are like our left and right feet. We all had to learn how to walk, but once we got used to it, it sure made getting to where we wanted to go a whole lot easier.

It’s OK to start with either changes to your diet or your activity level, but you have to add the other component before long. Otherwise, you might just find yourself circling back to where you started

:flowerforyou: THIS ARTICLE HELPED ME, SO I WANTED TO SHARE:flowerforyou:

Keep it up everyone and remember you are worth it!:heart:
  • jen777
    jen777 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Emi!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok my dear. Very good timing. Thanks.

I am sitting here.....pouting....even posted a thread.....oh poor me I havent lost a pound in 3 wks.

You made me rething this whole thing. I was ready to buy the ben and jerrys and instead made this list:

This is what I have done

Walked 30 miles
    Jogged 2 (not all together..haha..just in with walking...:wink: )
    Ate 3 new kinds of fruit, tried tofu, added veggies to my tomato sauce.
    refused dessert at my favorite restaraunt
    swam and walked at the beach
    tried 3 new video work outs
    added squats and heavier weights to my routine
    turned off the TV while working out
    bought size 10 pants
    stayed up every night until 10 pm instead of falling dead tired into my bed at 7 pm in pain
    reduced my pain med intake
    drank 4-6 bottles of water a day (WOW I did that?)

Thanks for this thread. :smooched: :love: :smooched:
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You are very welcome :flowerforyou: