if everyday were like today, you'd weigh...

Options
I aim for a low number. I'm 235.5 right now (started at 240, 25 days ago). So when I log in food, I aim for about 217-216 on the part where it says I'd weigh this much if 5 weeks. However, I'm only losing about 1-2 pounds a week. why am I not losing more? If I eat "bad" food, I work it off with exercise. I'm ALWAYS under my calorie goal. I'm usually under everything (except sometimes I'll be over on sodium or cholesterol...but it's rare.)

Replies

• littlelionesslove
    Options
    I think it's because every day is different...plus I think it's just a rough estimate based on your nutrition intake. Because, for me...technically I should be weighing around 90 pounds by now but I don't because my metabolism changes, and I eat/exercise differently.

*I'm no professional though!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should only be aiming to lose 2lbs/week at the most. You are probably not losing more as if you under eat (large calorie deficit) over a period of time your metabolism will slow down and you body will fight to hold onto the weight it does have. Try following MFP and eat 95-100% of the calories suggested, including calories burned from exercise.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds/week is a healthy amount; you're actually right where you should be.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That "button" is a bit finicky - I'd ignore it for the most part. This site is set so that you are only supposed to lose 1-2lbs a week. That is the healthiest (and lasting) way to do it. You shouldn't be TOO far under your calorie goal though, if you are depraving your body, it may be HARDER to lose weight (numerous threads on that already exist).

Good luck on your continued journey though - 1 to 2 lbs a week is perfect!
  • Lydbell
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle which weighs more, you might also not be eating enough. Your body will go into starvation mode if you don't give it enough.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think it's because every day is different...plus I think it's just a rough estimate based on your nutrition intake. Because, for me...technically I should be weighing around 90 pounds by now but I don't because my metabolism changes, and I eat/exercise differently.

Haha me to it says I should be about 92lbs and loosing.W.T.H.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is excellent, i have been on MFP for 3 months and lost 22 pounds, what does that tell you? slow and steady wins the race, besides you dont want to have to deal with excess loose skin due to rapid weight loss. Be patient and you will see the results your looking for.

The scale is just one way to measure your progress. Check your inches as well. Measure your waist, thighs, chest, and so on. you will be surprised to find that the scale isnt moving but you are losing inches.
  • ToeKneeRay
    ToeKneeRay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Everyone has had good suggestions for you! I'd also add to measure yourself, particularly if you're gaining muscle, and thus the weight is not going down.

4199334.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • sunnygirlray1
    Options
    You are doing fantastic. I have found for me the slower I lose the weight the longer it stays off. I can relate to wanting to hit a certain number by a certain date. For me it is my Birthday party that is planned in Vegas for next month. I won't be thin for it but I am trying to stay focused on the fact that this is a lifestyle for me and each day I practice taking better care of myself emotionally and physically I am winning. Keep up the good work and eventually you will be at goal!!
  • KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    oooh ok, thank you everyone!
  • RonieLisbeth
    Options
    idont trust that estimate but you can try eating more protein and less fattening things , even if you work it off
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

TO LITTLELIONESS:

EAT SOMETHING FOR GOODNESS SAKE! YOU CAN'T LIVE ON 300 CALORIES OR LESS PER DAY. THERE WAS ONE DAY WHERE YOU ATE 240 CALORIES AND BURNED MORE THAN 1000. ALL YOU ARE DOING IS LETTING YOUR BODY EAT UP ALL OF YOUR MUSCLE MASS! GUESS WHAT IS NEXT? YOUR ORGANS AND SYSTEMS WILL START SHUTTING DOWN. CALORIES ARE NOT OUR ENEMIES. THEY ARE OUR FUEL AND WE NEED THEM! DOES YOUR NUTRITIONIST KNOW YOU ARE DOING THIS?
  • polrwht07
    Options
    The estimation you get on this website isn't fully acurate just based off the fact that people lose weight, burn fat, and gain muscle at different rates.
  • littlelionesslove
    Options

TO LITTLELIONESS:

EAT SOMETHING FOR GOODNESS SAKE! YOU CAN'T LIVE ON 300 CALORIES OR LESS PER DAY. THERE WAS ONE DAY WHERE YOU ATE 240 CALORIES AND BURNED MORE THAN 1000. ALL YOU ARE DOING IS LETTING YOUR BODY EAT UP ALL OF YOUR MUSCLE MASS! GUESS WHAT IS NEXT? YOUR ORGANS AND SYSTEMS WILL START SHUTTING DOWN. CALORIES ARE NOT OUR ENEMIES. THEY ARE OUR FUEL AND WE NEED THEM! DOES YOUR NUTRITIONIST KNOW YOU ARE DOING THIS?

I know I know...food is my friend, food is my friend!! Thank you :)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    EAT!!!!
  • terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle which weighs more, you might also not be eating enough. Your body will go into starvation mode if you don't give it enough.

1lb of muscle does not weigh more than 1lb of fat. 1lb fat = 1lb muscle. Muscle takes up less space than fat; because fat is lumpy and dense. There are several threads that disspell the myth about this.

Back to the original question: I agree with several of the other post . . . you need to eat to fuel your body. At minimum you probably need to eat at least 1200 calories a day, and more if you exercise.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Each time you log your food for the day it tells you what you would weigh in 5 weeks if everyday were like that day you just logged.... So I am thinking on the day MFP told you you would be 90lbs you must have eaten way under your calories...

Although looking at your food diary you always eat well below your calories.... Which is NOT good!

Sorry - that is not the point of this website. You mention NOT being pro-anna... Not sure I believe you to be honest and I am not sure MFP are doing you any favours by letting you use this website in the way you do!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1lb of muscle does not weigh more than 1lb of fat. 1lb fat = 1lb muscle. Muscle takes up less space than fat; because fat is lumpy and dense. There are several threads that disspell the myth about this.

If that is the case then you weigh the same as me because 1 lb of you weighs the same as 1 lb of me. This argument is horse s*%t. You know, I know, we all know that when someone states that muscle weighs more than fat them mean by volume muscle weighs more than fat. a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat, that is what they mean. It is implied they are referring to by volume, no need to argue it is obvious what they mean. I hate this argument.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Where is this magical button?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

TO LITTLELIONESS:

I know I know...food is my friend, food is my friend!! Thank you :)

You are very welcome. (We have already become MFP friends). I'm rooting for you!