asparagus

Options
Hey friends- can you tell me a quick easy way to cook asparagus. I don't have the grill ready to fire up so it will have to be an oven or microwave version. Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Oven is best since the microwave and steaming in general doesn't make it crisp/tender only soggy.

Add a little bit of olive oil, black pepper and garlic powder, toss and bake for about 15 minutes until brown'ish and crispy looking on 400 degrees.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    Oven,,,add garlic salt pepper a little oil and drizzle with balsamic vinegar....yummm
  • deandp371
    Options
    Or you can do the same under the broiler - very good!!!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Oven or steaming is good. If you don't steam it very long, it really won't get soggy at all. I usually add a bit of pepper and lemon juice for flavoring - mmm....tasty!
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    I like them sautéed in olive oil and garlic
  • gracewelda
    Options
    I am not exactly sure how many calories are in it but try wrapping it in tin foil with light dill dip and put it in the oven for about 25 minutes . The best way I have had it so far! Cheers!
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like to steam it in the microwave. It doesn't go soggy at all! :)
    I like to drizzle some lemon over it. Yum!
  • vjbaker
    Options
    Roast it in the oven with a tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Delicious:heart:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Blanch the asparagus; add some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a sprinkling of almond slivers!
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you want to make it super yummy and up the "fancy" factor, check out this recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/baked-asparagus-with-balsamic-butter-sauce/Detail.aspx
    That is the only way I make it anymore! I usually use half the recipe of sauce though, and Smart Balance Light instead of butter.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options

ooo looks goooood! thanks for sharing... :flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I steam mine all the time. Take care, only a few minutes. You want the snap not the slop. :happy:

I enjoy them.
  • Giovanni_P
    Options

That is the best way to make asparagus!

Dont forget to try a grilled Mozzarella, Tomato, and Asparagus sandwich too.
  • mom2alexandmatt
    Options
    I do the same but a dash of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Don't overcook. Only takes a few minutes!
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have a steamer from pampered chef, Just throw them in there with a little pepper and salt and a tiny bit of water and microwave 4 minutes....still crisp and delicious! I use it for all my veggies!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This was a good recipe, could probably get away with using a little less oil.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Asparagus-with-Herbes-de-Provence/Detail.aspx
  • Spinmedry
    Options
    Snap off and discard the tough ends first. Place the spears in a shallow pan, drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil and1 tsp. balsamic vinegar; sprinkle salt and pepper over. Shake the pan a bit to coat with oil and roast in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on your preferred degree of doneness. Stir it up halfway through to release some steam. Sometimes I add sliced mushrooms and a litte garlic, or some sunflowwer seeds for extra crunch. You can experiment with different oils and flavored vinegars to make it go with whatever else you're serving, like sesame oil and rice vinegar if you're making Chinese, etc.
  • momof3babes
    Options
    Wow! THanks everyone!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the Microwave, they strip nutrients out of off, I do stove top or roasted in the oven with garlic.