Better to eat late or not enough?

Options
fevre
fevre Posts: 60 Member
I'm VERY busy with school throughout the week, and a lot of my classes don't allow food, so in the evenings after I've had dinner I tend to still have a few hundred calories left. Not eating them would put me under 1200, but when I eat them all before bed I tend to not lose weight (or even gain a bit). I'm worried that having all this food right before bedtime is hurting my weight loss, but I'm also afraid that if I go under 1200 that often my metabolism will slow down. Which of those two is the better option? (I AM going to start working harder to eat more throughout the day, but I'm curious about the answer to this question)

Replies

• EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sensible eating at night is no issue at all. Do it!
  • Jaemoo34
    Jaemoo34 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think if you don't have a meal that is too heavy you will be okay. As long as it does not become an everyday thing. I also don't think that going under 1200 would be too stifling to your success if its once or twice a week.
    I know how you feel though I'm also a student and fitting in when to eat and exercise with classes and studying gets to be a struggle sometimes.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I think that not eating after seven pm was a ploy by the fast food industry. You can eat whenever you want to eat, just stay within your calorie limit, and you'll lose weight.
  • VOLume5973
    Options
    I often have the same problem. If i'm barely below 1200 on my intake, I just ignore it. If I'm over 100 shy of it, I eat a snack, like a small bag of popcorn or an apple. I think eating right before bedtime can hinder wieght loss although I don't know of any scientific research to prove it (not that any doesn't exist).
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have to eat at night because I am on insulin. I just make sure I eat foods with lower carbs and no refined sugar. I try to eat foods high in protein at night.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sensible eating at night is no issue at all. Do it!

I agree. If you're hungry, then eat. If you're not, then don't. Simples :happy:
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There are a couple nights a week where I have this problem too. What I've done is try to make sure that I get most of my calories long before that. (5 small meals ) Then when I get home, I have some peanut butter on toast, and water, of course. That way I don't go to bed too hungry...I work out in the mornings, and the last thing I need to do is wake up hungry.
    Try doing that. You really don't want to go under your 1200. Ever. But eating a large meal before bed, consistently, won't help matters either.
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i think if you had a banana or apple and some peanut butter or a handful of nuts, that is sensible enough before bed. If you eat like another dinner or something heavy, that might not be a good idea.
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a Fiber One bar everynight before bed. Sometimes I'll have a banana with it. It hasnt affected my weight loss
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm always eating at night, sometimes as late as 1-2 am or even 3 am, i'm a night owl. So far I have lost 42 pounds in 12 weeks so I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference, just stay within your daily calorie limit. Last night I went out to dinner and only ate 1/2 of my burger, at around 1am I got hungry again and ate the other 1/2 and a yogurt. You should be fine eating at night, if your stomach is growling, then eat. I just add those calories after midnight as my new daily tally.
  • fireflyangel22
    fireflyangel22 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I work every day until 11pm, and have a 40 minute drive home. Often I do not get a supper break at work, so that leaves me with all my supper calories to eat at midnight. Thus far, (i've only been on this weight loss program one week) I've still lost. My biggest challenge is to not just mindlessly eat at this hour because I'm tired and starving, from not eating since 1pm.
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to eat late as it affects my sleep. Conventional wisdom wouild also dictate that eating early in the day kick starts your metbolism.
    You could easily increase your calories intake by adding a handfull of nuts to your breakfast. But as people have pointed out already, if you're not hungry in the evening don't worry about it too much.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Last night I had some yogurt with fruit about an hour before I went to bed. I actually weighed less this morning than I did yesterday morning.

The previous night however I ate something really carb-alicious, I think it was an english muffin or something.. I think that was too heavy as I weighed more the next morning despite being under my calories for the day.

Just do what works for you!
  • MightyMom4
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have just been trying to eat a little bit more for breakfast, it takes a little tinkering to figure out how to get your calories in. If I eat later at night I gain...it's just that simple. So, move things around until you figure out how your body works best.
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I only eat things in high fiber pass 7 and it has help me lose more.
    I would only eat if you are hungry.
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    You should not eat 2-3 hours before going to sleep, even if you think you are eating sensibly. Yes, it can affect your weight loss because you do not burn as efficiently in your sleeping hours v. your waking hours. Try to eat a good, big breakfast before school and eat snacks throughout the day between classes. Also, during your lunch hour/break, eat something filling as well. Don't force yourself if you aren't hungry, but if you feel you need to eat something before bed, try some fruit or something very light. Make sure you are eating enough cals too, because 1200 might be too low, which will also hinder your weight loss. It may also cause weight gain if you don't have enough cals during the day.
  • BusyMomma2012
    BusyMomma2012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I Love Fiber One bars! i eat one with a banana every morning for breakfast!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    +1 on eating a larger breakfast with protein, nuts, oats etc. Will keep you fuller longer and will clear out at least 400 cals of your day.

If you must eat before bed, lay-off the cereal, its sits around in you for a while making you feel heavier longer.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Eating late does not affect weight loss whatsoever. If anything eating late actually helps fat loss. Eat what you want, whatever time you want, just keep your calories where they need to be for the day.
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    Eating late does not affect weight loss whatsoever. If anything eating late actually helps fat loss. Eat what you want, whatever time you want, just keep your calories where they need to be for the day.

Is that a scientific fact? Or are you just giving your opinion? I'm curious because there is some controversy over this issue. Like, I heard it's ok to eat after X o'clock, as longs as it isn't anything heavy. Just curious if anyone has anymore to add to this.