Running with your dog

Options
I'm slowly getting back into running. It's pitiful, really--I used to run half marathons and now I'm thrilled to make a mile without stopping! :noway:

But I'd like to take the pooch with me. :smile:

Have you found a good brand of waist-leash for this?

I used to run with the dog and she is awesome--as soon as I settle on a pace, she just maintains it with me. But at this point, with all the start-stop, it's been a challenge. :indifferent:

Replies

• TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I have a very good running dog too!!! But I only use a neck collar and a leash.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i wish i could run with my dog, even though im super slow her little legs still cant keep up with me (unless she's stolen a piece of bacon out of y hand, then she can out run me by a mile lol)
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting back into running! I'm glad you posted this, because I've been running with my dog, but am still using a hand leash. I would like some advice on a waist leash as well. It would make running much easier. I think I've heard them referred to as umbilical leashes on pet training shows on TV.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have a very good running dog too!!! But I only use a neck collar and a leash.

I used to be able to do that when I was running 7.5-8 minute miles (which is a pipe dream at this point!) She was at a trot and just kept on. But now I am so slow that she wants to stop and sniff things all too often. :frown:
  • mlockey
    mlockey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a 10-lb Yorkie and he runs with me. I adjust my speed so he does a fast trot like he's on a treadmill. He seems to really like it. Plus, when he had blood work done recently the vet commented on how vigorous his red blood cell count was. Sometimes, he provides the motivation for me to get out and run -- I know it's good for him and it seems to relax him.
  • chrssyeldridge
    chrssyeldridge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wish I could run with my dog. She's got too much go for me! She's a pitbull but she is on the smaller side only about 60lbs.. My roommate takes her running and she can bust out 5-9 miles like its nothing.. Wish I COULD!!!!
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like this one: http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_category.cfm?queries_index=index6&title_bar=Sport&ProductCode=15

Their products are really high quality and solid.

I can't wait till the snow melts enough here to take my dog jogging, right now he just hangs out in the car while I'm at the gym. Sigh.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    My dog gets bored after like .5 miles so its a lost cause

but as soon as we get home....shes wired
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I like this one: http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_category.cfm?queries_index=index6&title_bar=Sport&ProductCode=15

Their products are really high quality and solid.

I can't wait till the snow melts enough here to take my dog jogging, right now he just hangs out in the car while I'm at the gym. Sigh.

Thanks! Will check this one out!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I'd love to run with my dogs--they currently pull too much and get easily distracted. I may start training my 1 dog once it starts warming up. I used to take her on very long walks (10miles) and know she can handle that so a 3 mile run should be good if I work her up.