Kicking the Caffeine

Options
So, I have been hanging on to my last vice for far too long. Sure there isn't many calories in my favorite drink, but it isn't helping me lose weight either.

What is the best way to kick my coffee addiction? Cold Turkey? Wean myself slowly?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Wean. If you try to stop cold turkey you will get withdrawal headaches.
  • teacher4380
    Options
    I went cold turkey with my tea since I am not much of a coffee drinker...but they do have "half-caff" that you may want to try and then decaf once you are ready to take the plunge! It also makes a difference with what you drink throughout your day...going caffeine-free with coffee but still downing caffeinated sodas, isn't going to be as effective?!?! So revamp everything...but be prepared for a few days of a sluggish feeling...but drink lots of water to keep you going! Good luck!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Definitely wean. Just be wary. I tried to cut caffeine completely a couple of years ago, and I slept ALL the time. It made me realize that I need caffeine. I went almost a year without it, and it never got better.

I do encourage you to try, I just wanted to warn you that there may be a reason you feel like you need it.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Coffee is actually good for you. It has antioxidants. I try to drink a cup a day but usually have about 3-4 cups a week. I drink decaf usually. I went cold turkey and had serious migraines for three days. Would definitely go with half caf and half decaf until you can go completely without. :-) Green tea is also good because it only has a tiny bit of caffeine and is good for you.
  • Bojangles79
    Options
    There are studies that show Caffiene is beneficial for the body. Two new research studies, published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, show that coffee consumption may both prevent and improve symptoms of Alzheimer’s, and reverse memory problems. It is a tricky habit, but it's not smoking or binge eating... ;)

If you do it I think I cold turkey is the best way. Headaches for a few days is a good reminder of how the body can become dependant on something. The harder it is the better the chance the quit will stick. Better make time to sleep longer throughout the night!

Good luck.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    How many cups of coffee do you have a day? I have one in the morning and that's enough for me. I don't find that it hinders my weight loss at all.
  • tansyg
    tansyg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    switch to Rooibos tea. No caffine and it is delicious. It satisfies the need for a hot drink
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I cut down on coffee, but still have one cup usually in the morning, black and no sugar. Coffee is good for you, just in moderation, and without all the sugar and creams.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you feel you need to give up coffee completely. Most OTC weight loss pills are basically caffeine so it shouldn't be hindering you in your weight loss. If you are using too much cream or sugar, then try to cut down on those.

Everything in moderation is usually the best course of action. By depriving yourself of something you really like it adds to the misery of this whole journey.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Everything in moderation is usually the best course of action. By depriving yourself of something you really like it adds to the misery of this whole journey.

This is so true! Took me awhile to learn this lesson, but has really come home this time around. You can't deprive yourself forever.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the input.

I have actually cut out all carbonated beverages. The thought of soda with all of that sugar, just makes me ill.

I was drinking one 16oz cup every morning, then recently added another in the afternoon. I know that there are some benefits to coffee, but the acidity of coffee is shown to produce fat cells. I thought by taking the coffee out of the equation, this may help me lose the last few pounds that I have been wanting to lose. I don't use sugar, but I like cream. I use half and half.