Quinoa Recipes

Options
Does anyone know of any good quinoa recipes they would like to share? I just bought some and I'm not sure what to do with it (or how to cook it).

Replies

• Rhiven43
    Options
    I cook mine at 2 parts water, one part quinoa. I bring water to a boil and then add quinoa, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. And I use it like I would rice, as well as cold added to my salads and put it in home made soups. It's got a pretty mild flavor really, so you can "dress it up" like you want. Great plant based source of protein!

Ooops! I forgot to mention- be sure to RINSE it well first before cooking!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like to make a tomato soup with it. Basically I cook 1/4 cup of it or whatnot and add it to a can of no salt added tomatoes. Not as clean as I'd like but its quick and easy. I also top it with stir fries or curries. YUM! You can even make it into a breakfast by adding baked apples and cinnamon or something like that. Its just very versatile.

There are some I've seen where you stuff bell peppers with it and other stuff. Like this:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-quinoa-stuffed-bell-peppers-318400

I use the Ancient Harvest brand so I don't rinse it. It says on box not needed. ;) Makes it easier.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    It can also be eaten like oatmeal if you wanted to add cinnamon, brown sugar, etc.
  • bevoandme
    bevoandme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can get the cookbook Quinoa 365 there are fantastic recipes in it for Quinoa. If you follow the cooking instructions on the bag you can then use it in place of oatmeal and flavour it with fresh fruit and yogurt or make a greek salad by adding cucumber, tomatoes, onions, feta cheese and greek dressing......you can also cook it in chicken broth and then saute some mushrooms and green onions and a pinch of nutmeg and mix all together.....yummy, you can add other veggies as well, broccoli or asparagus are good too! Fresh minced garlic with mushrooms and broccoli sauteed.....soo good!!
  • psajadi
    Options
    1/2 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    Kosher salt
    1 carrot, finely diced

Rinse quinoa under cold water. In a small saucepan, bring water and 1/4 tsp. salt to a boil. Add quinoa and carrots and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Let quinoa rest, covered, for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
  • Jnoecker
    Jnoecker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use it inplace of rice in almost any recipe. My favorite is stuffed bell peppers (stuffed with ground turkey, 1/4 cup Quinoa uncooked, and a half medium onion diced fine). Add a can of tomato soup as broth and bake covered for 45 minutes @375. Each pepper is about 275 calories and very filling. Good luck!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rtrue18
    Options
    It's not the fastest dish to make as it requires some prep work of the dicing, but its still pretty easy. I also add some Thyme to mine and sometimes I add other flavorings when I have a serving, like a little vinegar or a very small amount of a light salad dressing. It makes a lot so its great for leftovers :)

Quinoa & Winter Squash Slimming Salad

2 yellow onions, diced
    4 celery stalks, diced
    4 carrots, diced
    2 cups diced squash, butternut or any other fall or winter squash
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 Tablespoon brown rice syrup
    dash of freshly ground sea salt
    zest and juice from 1 lemon
    2 cups filtered water
    1 cup quinoa
    4 sprigs of parsley, finely minced
    1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    2.Place the onions, celery, carrots and squash in a large bowl. Mix in the oil and syrup, then sprinkle the salt and lemon zest. Mix until well combined and then place on a shallow baking dish. Cover the dish and bake for approx 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
    3.While the vegetables are in the oven, put the quinoa and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for about 20 minutes over low heat, until the water is absorbed.
    4.Combine the vegetables and cooked quinoa together with the lemon juice and parsley. Serve warm or chilled.

Nutritional Facts: One serving equals: 95 calories, 1g fat, 19g carbohydrate, 2.5g fiber, and 4g protein. Servings: 10
  • lisab15979
    Options
    Hi

I eat Tesco Whole foods quinoa.

I cook mine for around 12 minutes beacuase i like it to be a sort of rice/cous cous replacement. Bring some water to the boil then pour over the quinoa so that it's all covered. Cook on high and keep adding water until the nuclei come free from the seed. In the meantime I add two tble spoons of marg,a splash of worcester sauce, mustard and pepper ,all should all be absorbed. Then ready to eat! I usually have this with salad and a Quorn burger, Delicious but I'm guessing a few people will be saying "uuurrrgggg"!!!
    It's amazing stuff because it doesn't bloat or cause wind (!!) like cous cous, and is really high in protein. I usually have 100g instead of the 50g serving size but to be fair that's pretty much the main part of my dish, YUMMY but how expensive???!!
  • karikariboberry
    karikariboberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I made the most delicios quinoa salad last week!
    I followed this quinoa recipe, works perfect everytime
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-quinoa.php

then I waited til the quinoa was cool and added chopped red pepper, cucumber, celery kalamata olives, red onion and some crumbled feta.
    It was very good, with or without dressing!
    hope this helps
  • Plume
    Plume Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to make salads for lunch with quinoa. One of my favorites is a roasted veggies quinoa: roast veggies in oven and add to quinoa. It can be any vegetables you like roasted: peppers, mushrooms, eggplants, zucchinis, onions, etc. It is particularely good with roasted root vegetables such as sweet potatoes, beets, carrots and parsnips. You can warm it up to make it a hot meal or just take it out 1/2 hour before eating so it's not cold. Adding bocconcinis or other bites of cheese is good with that recipe. My second favorite is a mexican salad: add corn, black beans, green peppers, tomatoes and green onions to quinoa and add a dressing made with olive oil, lime juice and hot sauce. Again, taking out the salad 1/2 hour before eating makes it tastier.
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have this sitting in my pantry and had no idea what to do with it!

Bumping for future recipies!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I use it inplace of rice in almost any recipe. My favorite is stuffed bell peppers (stuffed with ground turkey, 1/4 cup Quinoa uncooked, and a half medium onion diced fine). Add a can of tomato soup as broth and bake covered for 45 minutes @375. Each pepper is about 275 calories and very filling. Good luck!

I substituted it for rice in my stuffed pepper recipe too and it was awesome! Did not miss the rice at all and it was SO much more filling!
  • MJLavaty
    MJLavaty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Any new recipes out there to share?
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Peruvian Quinoa Stew (Double Batch)

My wife and I like this so much, I doubled the recipe and we get 3 night's worth of meals.
    We also add a chopped cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast to each portion.

Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa, (bring to boil in 2 cups water, cook covered on low for 25 min then let sit until needed in last step)
    ___
    4 cups onions, sweet, chopped
    8 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    ___
    4 celery stalks, chopped
    4 carrot, cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch thick slices
    ___
    4 peppers, bell, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 cups zucchini , cubed
    4 cups tomatoes, fresh chopped (or canned if you like tons of salt)
    2 cups water or vegetable stock
    ___
    4 TBSP cumin , ground
    2 TBSP oregano, dried
    2 TBSP chili powder (can double this?)
    2 TBSP coriander, ground (can double this?)
    2 pinch cayenne pepper (or more to taste - very hot)

--Salt to taste--

Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
    Grated Cheddar (OR) Monterey Jack cheese (optional)

Instructions:
    1. place: Onions
    Garlic
    Vegetable oil
    in covered soup pot, and saute on med/hi heat for ~ 7 minutes

2. Add: celery
    carrots
    to the soup pot and cook an additional 7 minutes on MED heat, stirring often (you can keep the lid on for this)

3. Add: bell pepper
    zucchini
    tomatoes
    water/veg stock to soup pot. (I just use water - 0 sodium that way)
    Stir in: cumin,
    chili powder,
    coriander,
    cayenne and
    oregano
    to soup pot. Simmer covered on MED for 30 to 45 minutes until vegetables are tender. Keep an eye on it more near the end so it doesn't stick or burn. Maybe trun the heat down a bit. Can let sit for 15 more minutes with burner off and with lid on - it will still cook a bit.

4. Stir in cooked quinoa and salt to taste. I use about 1/2 TSP for the whole batch

5. Top with grated cheese (and optionally chopped cilantro) - We skip these
    6. Serve immediately.

Per serving (just the stew, chicken is extra): Calories 316, Carbs 54, Fat 9, Protein 12, Chol 0, Sodium 128
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I found this grape and quinoa salad recipe at the grocery store, and it was AWESOME. Here it is:

1 1/4 cups gluten-free, fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
    2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
    2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar, divided
    4 oz fat-free feta, crumbled (1 cup)
    1/3 cup dried Zante currants
    1/3 cup slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 Tbsp finely diced shallot
    (I used green onion instead of the parsley and shallot)

1. In a medium saucepan, bring broth to boiling over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa; reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

2. Preheat oven to 375F. Place grapes in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tsp of the oil and 1 Tbsp of the vinegar; toss to coat. Spread grapes in single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven; let cool completely.

3. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, grapes, feta, currants, almonds, parsley, and shallot. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining oil and vinegar. Drizzle over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
  • 2girls4boys
    2girls4boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from Allrecipes. I stuffed it into peppers. One pepper was super filling. I stuffed 6 peppers. The nutritional information is for 8 servings.

Spanish Style Quinoa

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 small green bell pepper, chopped
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions
    1.Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the quinoa, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes until the onion is tender, and the quinoa has lightly toasted. Stir in the tomato sauce and water, then season with the chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Stir the quinoa occasionally as it cooks.

Nutritional Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 126

Total Fat: 4.9g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 154mg
    Total Carbs: 17.5g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.4g
    Protein: 3.7g
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member