"Side" ideas please

Options
Last night I intended to make mashed potatoes to go with my leftover meatloaf, and then use the leftover potatoes and the ground turkey I had to make a shepards pie. When I got home, I found the potatoes I had were bad, so no shepard's pie tonight :ohwell:

I do still have the ground turkey though, which I will make "sloppy joes" with, but I'm stumped as to some side dishes to make with it. I will have a veggie, but I need another idea as well. I could always go get some tator tots (which would be what my mom would serve with it) but I thought maybe you all would have some better (read, healthier) ideas.

Thanks!:drinker:

Replies

• katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I substitute califlower for potato. Mashed califlower actually is very similar in taste to mashed potato and way less calories.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking of stopping at the store anyway, why not get some fresh potatoes? Then cut them into strips and make your own french fries. You can bake them in the oven with a little Pam sprayed on them. Or do the same with sweet potatoes. Yummmm.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea! I'm trying that one this week!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking of stopping at the store anyway, why not get some fresh potatoes? Then cut them into strips and make your own french fries. You can bake them in the oven with a little Pam sprayed on them. Or do the same with sweet potatoes. Yummmm.

I second this. I always use sweet potato fries for a side if its a burger or sandwich night. If you don't want to exert all the effort of making them they have some by Alexa at Walmart either plain flavor--add just a bit of salt or garlic powder for flavor and they have cajun seasoned ones.
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    LOVE mashed Cauliflower!! Sweet potatoe Fries, Cauliflower Fritters are awesome as well
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/cauliflower-fritters-25.html
  • krisnshan
    Options
    why not two veggie sides? Broccoli, raw carrots or cooked carrots...turnip greens..I eat what I like, does it have to "go" together? LOL Good luck! I think the sweet potatoe fries sound great : ) OR you could just have a nice fresh salad as a side, that's what I do with spaghetti.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Mixed fruit cup. My kids always like it when I fix fruit for them to eat with the meal.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! I've heard cauliflower is a good sub, but I don't like it raw so I've been a bit afraid to try it mashed.

I've done sweet potatoes before, but it slipped my mind! I think that is probably what I'll go with.

Thanks again!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    we typically eat celery with peanut butter, seven layer salad, raspberry jello and pineapple with sloppy joe's. but other side options include:
    cucumbers and baby carrots
    string cheese
    apple slices and grapes

spinach salad with avocado, black beans and corn
    cottage cheese
    mandarin oranges

crunchy-baked broccoli and cauliflower
    yogurt
    blueberries