Question for those who DO eat their exercise calories...

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much of a deficit you are already operating under (#/wk) and how hungry you are.
    And for many people, a difference of 100 cals, is probably within the error range of recording.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you used to measure the calories you burned. Some HRM's take RMR into account when calculating exercise calories. Others, Polar for instance, does NOT remove RMR calories.

For most people RMR is between 90 and 130 calories per hour. For me it's about 120 (assuming I sleep for 8 hours), so when I do my 35 or 40 minute workout I usually subtract about 70 calories from it (since I have a polar), OR I won't start my HRM until after my 5 minute warm up is done, and I stop it before I do my 5 minute cooldown, it just about evens out the calories. It depends on what I feel like doing that day.

If you're talking about using the MFP calculations, well, that's really generic anyway, so using it is a crap shoot, so I can't really give you an answer. Really, if you're worried about RMR and exercise calories, you should have an HRM already, if not, then you're relying on MFP to be correct for YOU, which it almost certainly isn't.

Mine is about a calorie per minute (5'2" and 125). Since I use an HRM I do subtract my resting calories. Of course if I didn't it probably wouldn't make a big difference in the day. I work out for an hour and I'm subtracting a little over 60 calories. If I ate that it wouldn't hurt.

That sounds super low, even for someone as little as you. How did you get to that conclusion? You didn't use an HRM did you? Most HRM's don't do very well calculating non-exercise heart rates.
  • tmill91
    Options
    I eat mine back, though I may just have elevated calorie needs because I seem to lose consistently on 1800 calories/day.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I eat mine back, though I may just have elevated calorie needs because I seem to lose consistently on 1800 calories/day.

it depends mostly on your age, height, weight, activity level, lean tissue levels, and exercise. I.E. everyone's different. A heightened metabolic rate is simply someone who does more daily activity than others, unless you have a metabolic condition like hyperthyroidism I guess ( note that's hypER, not hypO. Or an overactive thyroid. Don't wish for it guys, I know a few people who have it, it's a horrible condition, worse than obesity any day of the week, trust me. But you'd know it if you had it.)
  • skeene07
    skeene07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about the extra calories from my BMR because it's not typically that many and I figure that the elevated heart rate and sped up metabolism the rest of the day balances things out. My BMR is 1350ish so that's only 56 calories an hour (so 28 for a half hour). I'd like to believe that I burn more than that after exercising for the increased heart rate while I'm cooling down and the afterburn.

• runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Considering that your metabo is raised for a long time after your cardio is finished, I would think that subtracting your RMR isn't necessary. I eat all my exercise cals and lose 2 pounds a week.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I don't worry too much about the extra calories from my BMR because it's not typically that many and I figure that the elevated heart rate and sped up metabolism the rest of the day balances things out. My BMR is 1350ish so that's only 56 calories an hour (so 28 for a half hour). I'd like to believe that I burn more than that after exercising for the increased heart rate while I'm cooling down and the afterburn.

It's slightly more than that actually. you shouldn't be using BMR you should be using maintenance calories. And maintenance calories is higher during waking hours than sleeping. For most people it's between 90 and 140 per hour. For me it's about 125 to 130 per hour, thus I use the number 67 for every 1/2 hour. Not a ton, I know, but over the course of a month, that would make about a lb or two difference. Which I care about as I'm in maintenance.