The Dreadful words "weight loss surgery"

Options
So I had an appt onThursday with my Endocronologist, I've never met with her before, because I was seeing a Reproductive Endocronologist, but my primary GP wanted me to go see her to see if she could help with PCOS, Hypothyroidisum, and Weight loss.... I spent almost an hour with her.. and she went over all that was wrong with me, ordered some more tests... and then the weight loss issue came up...

Me: I've been trying to lose weight now for almost a year, and I am feeling very discouraged because I have only lost 30lbs

Endo: what methods have you tried?

Me: I hired a personal trainer working out 3 days a week with a trainer and 3 days on my own, I use myfitnesspal.com to track my calories styaing below 1400 on a non exercise day and staying between 1600-1800 on exercise days. I love to go to the gym, but I am getting no where from all the work I am putting in. I also follow a Low Glycemic lifestule where most of everything I eat is on a lower glycemic scale because of PCOS and IR.

Endo: Well to be honest with you it's very hard for someone like yourself to lose weight, it's often that women like yourself find themselves in this situation, and because of the clinical problems you have, you are always going to have that set back. Wht I would suggest is "weight loss surgery" (she saw me take a deep breath and sigh) ... I can see that you are skeptic of that, so let's talk about it ... but first I am going to give you more time.. I want you to continue on, go see this Dietician, and if 6 months or so you haven't lost more weight, I want you to start considering this... With the problems you have, it may be the only way for you to shed the weight, and once you shed the weight, your body may start acting the way it shuold.

Weight loss surgery... I have always felt like it's the easy way out... people that opt out for WLS just want to take this route because they don't want to try... I never thought in my life my Dr would recommend this for me? I always thought that for those that had Diabetes and other life threatning situations it would be the right thing to do.. . but if your healthy why would you? ... why woud you undergo such a life threatning surgery? ...

So to consider it is hard for me... but my thoughts stand... If I get the surgery, will be my chances of conceiving go up? ... oh how I want a baby more than anything?

Replies

• Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have heard that losing weight can help with conceiving a baby. I have lap band and it i actually friendly as far as pregnancy is concerned. Once you got pregnant they would unfill your band until after you have the baby to make sure that the baby is getting all the nutrition that it needs. i just posted a blog about my band if you would like to read it or you can message me if you have any questions!!
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck with whatever choice you make.. But I can tell you weight loss surgery is no easy way out. I had the lap band surgery done a few months ago. It will help you meet your goals but only if you help yourself also. You still have to learn to eat healthy and workout.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This is a tough decision. I don't really have advice, but I know that medically health problems like hormone imbalances can be serious obstacles to weight loss goals. Sometimes medical intervention is needed. Hang in there and I wish you the best whatever you choose.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was "healthy" but i opted for the lapband...Now i am HEALTHIER! best decision of my life!
  • Knaroz
    Knaroz Posts: 23
    Options
    Another bander here (and if you look at the numbers, they don't lie.) As far as preg increase, my doc advised to use 2 separate methods of birth control because he has 7 new mothers to be in the past couple of months all 40+ years old lol.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as you! You can do this on your own without the surgery. I started my weight loss journey at 320lbs with lots working against me. I have hypothyroidism and I have a bad hip (I have had 2 surgeries and I am facing a replacement soon). Those two things alone are enough to turn anyone off! When I made up my mind to lose the weight once and for all I knew I had to stick with it and it would be now or never. I had 3 kids and I was 2 1/2 years into my journey and about half way to my goal when I found out that surprise baby #4 was on the way. I was devested and thought I was going to fail. As soon as I had the baby I got right back into it. I reached my first goal of 100lbs lost when he was 5 months old. I lost another 14lbs before I started slipping up and gained almost 40lbs back. I got back on the wagon on Jan. 1st and I have 4lbs to go to get to my lowest weight and then continue on to the last 15 or so. It takes time to lose the weight, it isn't going to come off overnight and the fact that you have lost 30lbs is a great start! Nobody can force you into the surgery. I used to work in an Endo department and I would see people come back for their 3, 4, 5 year check ups from gastric bypass only to have put the weight back on. Some people do wonders with it and realize it is a second chance at life but the majority of people I know who have had it done have gained the weight back! Losing weight isn't a quick thing it has to be a lifestyle change weather you do it surgically or the old fashioned way it is all a lifestyle change!
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.......wow thoes are some tuff problems when it comes to losing weight and having a baby. I have hypothyroidism too and struggled for years to lose weight and get pg. Can I ask what are you doing to treat the thyroid? Once I got on the right amount of meds for my thyroid I started seeing results from my hard work. My thyroid problem was found when I was 14 (pretty young for a MD to look, but my grandma has it and was sure I did too) I always struggled with my weight until I started to see a Endocronologist at age 22. She really upped my meds, in fact my pcp told me I had gone from Hypo to hyper. But I lost weight felt great and even got pg. Well as soon as I got pg my obgyn cut my meds in half. I gained 80lbs with that baby!!! It took me a few years to be able to see a Endocronologist again due to my insurance, but once I did I told him about the last time. He looked into my med records and realized she had been dosing me off my T4 and T3, not TSH like most MD's do. Now I take a high does of meds and don't have too much trouble with it. Again my pcp thinks I am hyper and wants to lower my meds because my TSH is high, but my T4 and T3 are great! I guess my point is before surgery take a look at your thyroid and see what you can do to get that under control 1st. Surgery is not any easy choice nore is it a easy way out. There is a life time of hard work with surgery.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing easy about weight loss surgery. I have not had it, but my friend has and she still has to do the work. She has to eat healthy and exercise. It is a tool that you will utilize on your path to a healthy lifestyle. It has changed her life. Ultimately, it is your choice and you will have to weigh risk vs. benefit but, keep an open mind.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Do not think of weight loss surgery (it is after all a SURGERY from which you will have to recover and its not like you can eat whatever, how much ever and never exercise but still lose weight or anything like that) as the easy way out, its not and you shouldn't let ANYONE make you feel as though it is if you do choose that route. It is merely a tool to help, who knows perhaps the dietitian will be the help you need to kick your weight loss into high gear and you won't need the surgery. I haven't had any WLS but I'm not against it; in fact I'd probably jump on the chance to be honest because I've been trying to lose weight for about 3 or 4 years now(yay for yo yoing weight -_-')

As for the baby I lost 50lbs right before I got pregnant with my first. We had been trying for about a year and a half before then and I do think weight loss was part of it.
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    If you were exercising and dieting as you stated and lost thirty pounds in a year, then that wasn't bad at all. Why you ask? Because you were building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. You didn't gain all that weight over night and you can't expect to lose it overnight AND keep it all. Slow and steady wins the race!

Good Luck!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have a dear friend that had weight loss surgery for exactly the same reason. She had the surgery and did concieve months later. She now has a beautiful baby girl..

However - she is still overweight. She struggles today with juggling a baby, eating only certain foods because some make her sick and working out like the rest of us. She went through a great deal with having the surgery. She had to lose so much weight before she could have the surgery and was on 800 calories a day weeks before it. Of course she lost weight doing that.

I would caution the surgery only because it is not a magic pill. You will still need to eat right and excercise after the surgery. I have never been in a situation where I had to make such a decision but why go through a surgery when you ultimately will have to eat right and excercise.

I would suggest kicking up your workouts and adding strength training. Muscle burns fat and if you are not adding lean muscle your body will not burn all it needs too. I have used a few different at home programs. Both are 90 day plans that have worked for many people. Message me if you want the info. Since they are set for 90 days you will know quickly if they work. I also use a shake that has helped me lose my last 10 pounds. It is nothing else out on the market and is like a salad bar in a glass and then some.

I know you can beat this and do it naturally!!!

Ultimately it is your decision and whatever you do we all support you!!!!!
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you were exercising and dieting as you stated and lost thirty pounds in a year, then that wasn't bad at all. Why you ask? Because you were building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. You didn't gain all that weight over night and you can't expect to lose it overnight AND keep it all. Slow and steady wins the race!

Good Luck!

I'm sorry but muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat; muscle is however DENSER than fat so it takes up less space with the same amount of weight. If she were building muscle and losing fat she would see a loss in inches rather than weight (don't know if OP measures but its a good idea to do so). I don't mean to sound b!tchy or anything but that phrase urks me lol
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing easy about weight loss surgery. I have not had it, but my friend has and she still has to do the work. She has to eat healthy and exercise. It is a tool that you will utilize on your path to a healthy lifestyle. It has changed her life. Ultimately, it is your choice and you will have to weigh risk vs. benefit but, keep an open mind.

Thank you so much for this! Most people who have NOT had WLS do think it's the "easy" way out and use people who did NOT put in the effort as examples of failures.

I had lap band surgery in 2008. Best decision of my life. I have made changes in my lifestyle and am healthier and happier than I've ever been.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do not think of weight loss surgery (it is after all a SURGERY from which you will have to recover and its not like you can eat whatever, how much ever and never exercise but still lose weight or anything like that) as the easy way out, its not and you shouldn't let ANYONE make you feel as though it is if you do choose that route. It is merely a tool to help, who knows perhaps the dietitian will be the help you need to kick your weight loss into high gear and you won't need the surgery. I haven't had any WLS but I'm not against it; in fact I'd probably jump on the chance to be honest because I've been trying to lose weight for about 3 or 4 years now(yay for yo yoing weight -_-')

As for the baby I lost 50lbs right before I got pregnant with my first. We had been trying for about a year and a half before then and I do think weight loss was part of it.

Thank you as well!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    There is a surgery in Canada called the sleeve, my Dad is waiting for it to be approved in America in the next two years. While waiting he is watching his eating better.
    This surgery is more desirable to the existing choices, because it removes the grellin that makes you feel hungry all the time.
    The lap band has a port and can be adjusted by the doctor so you can eat a little more and doen't resolve the issue of being hungry all the time, you can eat very little and you suffer, because you are staving.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    No, he's talking about volume. A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. Thus you can get thinner and maintain the weight if you are gaining muscle and loosing fat.
  • Lcm726
    Lcm726 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I see an endocrinologist for my thyroid and every time I ask for her help in weight loss, she doesn't have a good answer for me. My PCP recommended lap band years ago and I just am not sure it's for me. I am scared of the risks and I do want to get pregnant again. I'm not so comfortable about the idea of having the band with a baby in there! I'm considering it..but I don't want to make that decision yet. I'm trying to lose it on my own, but it's not easy.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've had WLS too (lap band on June 23, 2008). I'm not sorry I did. I couldn't lose on my own either hiring personal trainers, dieticians, tracking calories, etc. But I came to the decision on my own. It had to be painful to have your doctor recommend that you have it done.

Don't give up on trying on your own. Even if you decide to go through with WLS, you will probably need a lot of documentation to prove that you tried on your own before your insurance will agree to pay for it. It took me 10 months to get insurance approval. I had to have regular appointments with my dietician, my primary care physician, and a personal trainer for several months before insurance would agree to pay. And then it took me several months to get all the medical and psychiatric evalulations completed before I could qualify. Your MFP diaries will help provide proof for insurance too.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    There is a surgery in Canada called the sleeve, my Dad is waiting for it to be approved in America in the next two years. While waiting he is watching his eating better.
    This surgery is more desirable to the existing choices, because it removes the grellin that makes you feel hungry all the time.
    The lap band has a port and can be adjusted by the doctor so you can eat a little more and doen't resolve the issue of being hungry all the time, you can eat very little and you suffer, because you are staving.

The gastric sleeve is approved in the US. My friend had it done just before Thanksgiving and has lost over 50 pounds already.

Also, the lap band does help with hunger. That's the point of it. It is wrapped around the top of your stomach which is the part that senses when you are full.
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    So not the easy way out. I was considering WLS and I read about it and watched vlogs for 2 months... Actually it seemed ahrder to me than actually dieting and working out. So if you need it due to medical problems then by all means you are braver than me. It will not be easy but it will be worth it. Noone will think less of you and if they do phooey on them!