Goal Weight- Calculate yours!!!

Options
For anyone wondering what their goal weight for their height should be here are calculations I learned in college.

For females: 100 lbs for the first 5 foot and 5 lbs for every inch after that. Then depeding on your fram/bone structure you can +/- 10%

For Males it is 106 lbs for the first 5 foot and 6 lbs for every inch after that. Same for +/- 10%

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this caculation is off. It doesn't account for body frame or age. If I went by that (5'4") It would have me at 120, could never acheive what it is saying.

even when I was 17 and my mom and someone else thought I was anorexic at 140 I wasn't as small as what that is saying I should weigh.
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Wow... That means I should weigh 110 lbs... seems kind of small to me...
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    actually it is based on exercise physiology and nutrition. I have a degree in health fitness. It does take into account body frame. +/- 10 percent.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    155 for me,but I'm not sure with my frame lol!
    Despite the fact that my goal is 150.....
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    125, that sounds good, in the lower range though, im shooting for 120-140
  • kmeekhof
    Options
    Wow... That means I should weigh 110 lbs... seems kind of small to me...

don't forget you can add 10 percent... so thats 121 lbs.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You can also check this out: Its similar to that formula, but gives you the option of checking your bone structure.
    Thanks for sharing!

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For anyone wondering what their goal weight for their height should be here are calculations I learned in college.

For females: 100 lbs for the first 5 foot and 5 lbs for every inch after that. Then depeding on your fram/bone structure you can +/- 10%

For Males it is 105 lbs for the first 5 foot and 5 lbs for every inch after that. Same for +/- 10%

I heard the same for females but for males it should be at 5', 106lbs and 6 lbs/inch. As men at most heights should be more than just 5 lbs more than women. My calc has them at 6 lbs dif at 5' and will increase by an additional pound every inch so at 5' 6lb difference, at 5'5 a woman should be 125 while a man should be 136, an 11 pound difference, at 5'10 a woman should be 150 while a man should be 166, an 16 pound difference.

I find this is a much better tool than BMI. and remember the +/- 10% for frame size.
  • Stephanie4Cali
    Stephanie4Cali Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That can't be right. You have to factor in age. According to weight watchers those numbers are off.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This is a generic measurement. I'm a trim 130 lbs and this says i should be 10 lbs lighter. I'm in a size three pants but have a lot of muscle. I weight train for an hour 15 min 3 times a week and run around 15 miles a week. I consider myself to be in very good shape. If I lost 10 more lbs i'd be way too skinny.
  • redmenace22
    redmenace22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I concur. At 5'8", this would put me at 145#s. I don't know of any male with that height and weight combo.

Try this BMI calculator, I think it explains some of the variable to consider pretty succinctly.

;-)
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that either. That says that at 5'8" I should weigh 145. If you factor in +/- 10 percent, that means 130-160. My goal is 160 but any lower than that sounds WAY too low unless someone is a comptetive swimmer/biker/boxer or something like that. Not doubting your degree but that seems like a major generalization that doesn't account for people's individual constitutions and bodies.
  • kmeekhof
    Options

For Males it is 105 lbs for the first 5 foot and 5 lbs for every inch after that. Same for +/- 10%

I heard the same for females but for males it should be at 5', 106lbs and 6 lbs/inch. As men at most heights should be more than just 5 lbs more than women, this has them at 6 lbs and will increase by an additional pound every inch so at 5' 6lb difference, at 5'5 a woman should be 125 while a man should be 136, an 11 pound difference, at 5'10 a woman should be 150 while a man should be 166, an 16 pound difference.

you are correct.... I did not catch my mistake when typing it! I will edit.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 125 is way too small for me! I have never been that weight as an adult, even when I was 24, vegan, and working out for over an hour 5 days/week. I guess I could get there if I wanted to give up my muscle mass, but no thanks.
  • mickimause
    Options
    No way. That puts 5'8" at 140lbs. Way too small, in my opinion...and not what the BMI calc on here says, either. I know it's only a tool, and not medical advice, but even that says at 5'8" I should be between 141 & 165lbs.

Thanks for the info, though!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I concur. At 5'8", this would put me at 145#s. I don't know of any male with that height and weight combo.

Try this BMI calculator, I think it explains some of the variable to consider pretty succinctly.

;-)

Try my calc for a man, a man at 5'8 should be 106 +6*8 = 154, 14lbs more. then you have the +/- 10% depending on frame size. So if you are a large framed 5'8 man you should be 169.4 (154*1.1)

I am a medium size frame and according to this I am 4 lbs over the ideal weight, which makes sense as I tend to have a fair bit of muscle, especially on my back.
  • kmeekhof
    Options
    This is a generic measurement. I'm a trim 130 lbs and this says i should be 10 lbs lighter. I'm in a size three pants but have a lot of muscle. I weight train for an hour 15 min 3 times a week and run around 15 miles a week. I consider myself to be in very good shape. If I lost 10 more lbs i'd be way too skinny.

You are correct. By volume muscle weighs more than fat. That being said the averagge person does not weight train or run like you do.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yup, calculations came out correct for me. 120 and I have a small frame.
    I was 112 when I got married but a lot of people said I was too skinny.
  • guapogringo
    Options
    Wow, it was pretty close for my height and weight. 6ft = 178lbs. I am actually 8 pounds light. I guess I need to eat. Thanks for the formula.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    how do you figure out what kind of frame you have?