Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What's the "healthier" choice?

So, since I started w/MFP, I've been taking a different approach at my dieting. Watching calories yes, but more focused on the "clean eating" instead of just anything. My view so far is - it may be higher in calories, but it's healthier...so that's how I've been eating & so far it's working. I still get flustered & concerned about which item is the "better choice". Especially when there is a big calorie difference. My latest dilema:

Cracker Barrel Restaurant
Grilled Chicken Salad (dressing included) = 620 calories or Chicken & Dumplings w/carrots & greenbeans = 390 calories
(facts found on Livestrong.com)

I personally would think the Grilled Chicken Salad would be healthier. But, I look at the calories, thinking about the rest of my day & trying to stay under my calorie range, etc.

Which one would you pick?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    So, since I started w/MFP, I've been taking a different approach at my dieting. Watching calories yes, but more focused on the "clean eating" instead of just anything. My view so far is - it may be higher in calories, but it's healthier...so that's how I've been eating & so far it's working. I still get flustered & concerned about which item is the "better choice". Especially when there is a big calorie difference. My latest dilema:

Cracker Barrel Restaurant
    Grilled Chicken Salad (dressing included) = 620 calories or Chicken & Dumplings w/carrots & greenbeans = 390 calories
    (facts found on Livestrong.com)

I personally would think the Grilled Chicken Salad would be healthier. But, I look at the calories, thinking about the rest of my day & trying to stay under my calorie range, etc.

There's no one right answer to this, as some of it will depend on what else you're eating that day.

But to get to 620 calories in a salad, there must be many 'extras'--high fat cressing, croutons, bacon bits, etc. That would be an awful lot of grilled chicken breast to hit 620 calories, so there must be some hidden stuff.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I would order the salad, but ask for the dressing on the side and use it sparingly. Also, as the Atlantique noted, there might be some extras on the salad that you can ask them to leave off.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Just because it's called a "salad" doesn't mean it's healthier.

Look at the calories and fat-- that should immediately tell you something. The second option is going to keep you full, with half the calories.

Same concept applies to a "Smoothie"-- some from Jamba Juice have over a 1000 calories-- but surely, you'd pick that over a milkshake, right?

Beware of foods that "sound" healthy-- go with the calorie count and nutrient density and volumetrics of the food (ie, whats going to keep you fuller longer)
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Cracker Barrel puts bacon on everything, even salads! I'd ask for the salad, no bacon or croutons, dressing on the side.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    I would go for the chicken and dumplings just because they are soooo good and although cals are lower im sure fat is higher. But thats just me since I do not go out to eat a whole lot when I do i wanna enjoy my meal and it sounds hearty and fullfilling. I get tired of salads. They seem boring most of time... Portion control is more important than anything. Eat what you want but in moderation. I love cracker barrel!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Just because it's called a "salad" doesn't mean it's healthier.

Look at the calories and fat-- that should immediately tell you something. The second option is going to keep you full, with half the calories.

Same concept applies to a "Smoothie"-- some from Jamba Juice have over a 1000 calories-- but surely, you'd pick that over a milkshake, right?

Beware of foods that "sound" healthy-- go with the calorie count and nutrient density and volumetrics of the food (ie, whats going to keep you fuller longer)

I agree with this. A salad isn't necessarily 'cleaner' and dumplings aren't necessarily particularly processed if it's a decent place.
  • The salad would be the "healthier" choice...The dilemma here is finding out what is making the salad have that many calories...my guess would probably be the dressing...Ask for a fat free dressing...
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Be careful finding your facts on other websites. I would try to look it up on cracker barrel's website. My fiance is a manager there and I know they have the nutritional info. The dressing is the big kicker with the salad. Bring your own or like previous people said, ask for it on the side and use it sparingly. It may have more calories, but the chicken and dumplins is going to have a lot of sodium. I suppose you just have to pick from 2 evils! I always choose salads if possible and leave off things like bacon bits. Salads can end up with over 1000 calories easily depending on what gets put on them. Applebee's is a good example. Their salads are TERRIBLE!! Good luck!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Eating out is a tough one! Especially for "clean" eating! I try to think of food in it's most basic form. Grilled chicken in a salad versus fried, and vinegrette instead of a creamy dressing. I guess those are pretty obvious. Don't forget the doggie bag, either. Splitting your food in half before you eat it is a good approach, too. Good luck. I sense a few restaurant meals in my near future, too and don't want to get too far off track, myself!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    As a Clean Eater myself, I would go with the salad with some alterations. I see that this is what is in the salad. I would see how much chicken is there. You know it isn't clean like you would make at home. Then I would take off the cheese and croutons.

Request the dressing on the side or bring your own clean dressing from home.

Grilled Chicken Salad
    Fresh greens topped with marinated grilled chicken tenderloin, Colby cheese, red onion, wedged tomato, whole boiled egg and sourdough croutons.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Be careful finding your facts on other websites. I would try to look it up on cracker barrel's website. My fiance is a manager there and I know they have the nutritional info. The dressing is the big kicker with the salad. Bring your own or like previous people said, ask for it on the side and use it sparingly. It may have more calories, but the chicken and dumplins is going to have a lot of sodium. I suppose you just have to pick from 2 evils! I always choose salads if possible and leave off things like bacon bits. Salads can end up with over 1000 calories easily depending on what gets put on them. Applebee's is a good example. Their salads are TERRIBLE!! Good luck!

I just looked and they don't have nutritional information on the site. Only the menu is listed.
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Thanks everyone for the advice! It's nice hearing everyone's point of view. The "full factor" is something I definitely consider. And I realize, that salads can be horrific depending on what is in them. It's gonna be a battle anywhere you eat out. I just want to stick to what's working as best as I can. If I slack off a couple days a week, I will start to gain back what I've lost. It's already happened to me.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member

The grilled chicken salad and split into two meals. If I felt I couldn't do that, the soup. So, for me, it's too high a calorie load in one brief sitting .
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    If you can't find the menu on the website then call the restaurant and they can tell you where it is on the website or give you the information over the phone or at the restaurant. I've done that before because I have a food intolerance and they may even have other choices for you that are not listed on the menu.