What's with the Sauna anyway?

Options
So I was thinking of spending some quality time in the sauna but I am not sure whats its really for or how long to stay? Can someone please tell me what the benifits are of sitting in the sauna, when to go and for how long???? :huh:

Replies

• lordofultima
    Options
    Benefits? Feels nice, that's like asking the benefits of sitting in a hottub.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    I thought it was to aid in detoxifying... helping your body to sweat out additional toxins.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It helps to rid the body of toxins through sweat. You could possibly lose some water weight and is not recommended if you have skin problems like severe rosacea. I like to sit in my steam shower with some eucalyptus oil when I am congested. Stay no longer that 15-20 minutes (you may have to work up to it). Ohhh...and it feels amazing!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I tend to sit in the sauna for ten minutes, then jump in a cold shower, then repeat until I get bored. My face usually breaks out right after, then 24 hours later my skin looks fantastic. I think it tends to clear out your pores.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I know it warms you up if you live in a cold climate! Good enough for me!

Really, it helps open your skin pores which rids certain toxins. I've also heard that you actually burn some calories cause your body is working (to cool itself or something?) Guess it depends how hot yours is and how long you can 'take it'. The steam room at my gym can be very hot and 5-10 min is all I do. Sauna's are more of a dry heat - I like them but we dont have one at the gym - I would think 10-20 min is reasonable.
  • cacfish
    Options
    Can I ask about the benefits of the steam room....I have asthma and it makes breathing so easy fo me......but why do the guys in the gym sit in there for 30mins?
  • 6Alsmom
    Options
    I have a far infrared sauna in my garage and use it several times a week. Steam saunas heat the air, (so you can't spend as much time in them), FIR saunas actually heat you up! The heat penetrates your skin and sub-q tissues which helps increase blood flow thus aiding injuries and moving the toxins out or your body through sweat. There are many more benefits but I guess it depends on what you want to believe, but I love my sauna, not only for the benefits I believe I'm getting, but also because it's very relaxing to sit in there and just sweat!! I usually set the temp at 125 and spend about 45 minutes inside.
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I sit in the Sauna because it feels great after a hard workout. I was told it helps to remove the impurities out of your body but you have to be in there over 15 to 30 mins for the process to take place. I enjoy the sauna with the steam. You feel great once your done and you sweat more.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I go in the sauna after my water aerobics class to warm up. I'M FREEZING AFTER I GET OUT OF THE WATER!

Charmagne
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I am gonna hit it up tonight and see how I like it and how long I can bear it. :wink:
  • anita1717
    anita1717 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I WAS HOPING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO OWNED AN INFRARED SAUNA. MAY I ASK A FEW QUESTIONS? WHAT BRAND DO YOU HAVE AND IS IT A CARBON 360 ? I HAVE READ THAT THIS TYPE OF SAUNA ACTUALLY CAN BURN 600 CALS IN 30 MIN. DO YOU FIND THAT THIS IS TRUE. I REALLY LIKE STEAM SAUNAS BUT THEY ARE VIRTUALLY OBSOLETE DUE TO INFRARED I HEAR. WONDER IF I WILL LIKE AS MUCH. I WILL IF REALLY DOES HELP LOSE WEIGHT. ANY INFO OR OPINIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED THANK YOU.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    so are us non sauna people in danger of being poisoned by toxins or what?