Elliptical Pain!

CCSunlight
CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone else's ankle hurt after being on the elliptical? I think it's because I'm pushing down with the balls of my feet rather than in a flat-footed way. I love the elliptical for cardio and I don't want to have to switch to a bicycle or something. Anyone have advice?

Replies

• twfleischer
    twfleischer Posts: 3 Member
    My ankles dont hurt but my feet go numb after 20-25 minutes! Im curious to see what kind of advice you get!!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    my ankles only hurt if i move them more than my knee's. trying pushing with your knee's and not your feet. hope that makes sense lol and i also used to get numb feet/toes. not anymore though.
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Mine does the same
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    My ankles dont hurt but my feet go numb after 20-25 minutes! Im curious to see what kind of advice you get!!

If you search MFP you will find that numbness on the elliptical is a common complaint. The most common "solution" is change your shoes or wear different shoes, which is a funny answer to me, because I do it barefoot with the same problem. I also have numbness in my feet when running. One Orthopod told me it was Tarsal Tunnel but the nerve conduct study showed very little nerve pinching. I've been working with a DPM on the issue. Basically, we are working on stretching exercises for my feet and the big tendon that runs the top of my foot to my big toe. I'm trying to get flexibility back in it, as I lift my toes when I walk apparently or do the elliptical. The stretching exercises, and foot strengthening have helped. I can almost pick up a tennis ball with my feet, but it's taken me over a year to get to this point. Best of Luck.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    My feet used to get numb on the elliptical. Now I try really hard to actually lift my feet off of the pedal when it is back, sort of like a running motion. I never get numbness now.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member

If you search MFP you will find that numbness on the elliptical is a common complaint. The most common "solution" is change your shoes or wear different shoes, which is a funny answer to me, because I do it barefoot with the same problem. I also have numbness in my feet when running. One Orthopod told me it was Tarsal Tunnel but the nerve conduct study showed very little nerve pinching. I've been working with a DPM on the issue. Basically, we are working on stretching exercises for my feet and the big tendon that runs the top of my foot to my big toe. I'm trying to get flexibility back in it, as I lift my toes when I walk apparently or do the elliptical. The stretching exercises, and foot strengthening have helped. I can almost pick up a tennis ball with my feet, but it's taken me over a year to get to this point. Best of Luck.

stretching/exercising more ofter probably explains why i no longer get the numbness in my toes.
  • twfleischer
    twfleischer Posts: 3 Member
    Wow, thanks for all the information. I may need new shoes, but I also figured I have bad circulation in general. Im hoping that this new work out routine I am doing will help that as well.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    If your ankle hurts or legs get numb you are going to fast and being on top of your toes instead of using the whole foot.
This discussion has been closed.