Confused about calorie intake?

Options
Hello everyone!

I am a little confused about my calorie intake that the website gave me (losing 1 lb a week) which is I think 1390, now to lose the 1 lb a week should I take in that many calories even if i exercise and say burn 200 calories?

Replies

• Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you burn 200 cals with workout and add it here in your exercise diary, the website will increase your goal for the day to 1590 (1390+200). This way you will still lose 1 lb per week. You can eat less, but shouldn't get under 1200 cals net, which means in this case 1400 cals (1200 minimum intake+ the 200 you have burned with working out).
    The more you exercise, the more you can eat. It's simple like this.
  • nichola_watters
    Options
    If you burn 200cal then that means you have an extra 200cal to use if you need it
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You should generally eat most of your exercise calories- Your "goal" calories and "net" calories (on your home page) should be close to the same.
  • PharmCat12
    Options
    If you work out and burn 200 calories, you are allowed 200 EXTRA calories to eat that day because you would want to stay at 1390 calories. Another way to look at it is that you work out adds calories to what you are allowed daily; so 1390 +200 from working out = 1590 calories you are allowed a day, to be losing 1 pound per week.
  • Cilla39
    Options
    Hello. Your not on your own, I am having a little problem with this website ,I put everything into the program as what food i eat and my exercise that i do at the gym for One hour. .
  • brandihutchinson
    Options
    This blog will help you understand, it's really simple and you will lose weight!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KarenBorter/view/it-s-really-easy-no-really-74560
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There must be some sort of problem with the calorie calculation. For my resting caloric burn (if I didn't do anything but lay around all day) the number is 1290 (using the BMR calculator). This site wants me to limit my calories to 1200. LOL. That's 90 less calories than my resting caloric burn. If I followed that advice, I'd ruin my body. I've added to the system that I normally work out 5 days a week for 45 min each. It seems they aren't factoring in the amount of exercise we plan to do. I suspect my correct caloric intake to lose a pound a week while I work out 5 days a week would be closer to 1600 or so. It would be nice if they linked actual workouts together with the food eaten for the day in their calorie planner... or maybe they do. I just started and haven't input any activity for the day.