Not sure how to calculate a meal made of left overs?

Options
Okay...so I have no idea how to enter this (granted I didn't know how to enter the first meal either!)....

But I made pot roast yesterday...3.5lbs of chuck roast w/ potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions & celery... I mostly measured out the meat & potatoes yesterday, and guesstimated the rest for my diary.

But now its even more mixed up (because there is less of everything, and of course some people (my husband....ahem) picked out the potatoes etc....and today I'm going to try to make potpie's out of the left overs.

It says to make the sauce out of the left over juices (which I saved) mixed with flour, spices etc......and then split up the meat & veggies among the pies. (using Pillsbury crescent dough)

I figure I can still weigh the meat, but I'm wondering if I should just quick add a guess for the veggie calories?

And what should I put for the broth calories (when I'm trying to calculate out the sauce)?

Its complicated not using stuff from a can that comes with a label! lol

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Why not just do an entry for homemade beef pot pie? You're never going to be exact on your calorie count. So alittle over here, a little under there, life goes on.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Here's my guess: instead of weighing the meat look at the volume of it and compare to the original size of the cooked roast. Use that as a proportion of the original. (Cooked meat will weigh less.) In other words, if it was a 3.5lb roast and there is about 1/3 left, you could use a weight of 1.2lb. That would be close enough. The juices came from the meat, so if you use the uncooked meat, according to my reasoning you don't have to add anything for the juices. The veggies (except for potatoes- which are gone LOL) don't have that many calories anyway. Most of the calories are probably going to come from the flour and the dough.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you think it would be fine just to add in the flour & spices I use, and not worry about extra calories for the juices since it came from the roast itself?
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Do you use the recipe tool found under food? It is amazing and super quick!!

You create a recipe and just individually add all the ingredients. You figure out how many people it will serve and it cuts the calories and other info down for one individual serving. I LOVE IT!! It makes me feel like I'm more on top of my true calorie count.
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just started using the recipe tool. You're right, it is fantastic and very easy.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I do like using the recipe tool too. :) I use it too, I just wasn't sure what to put in it since I don't really know how much is left...I'm just going to guess and hope the best. lol I don't mind being off by a little bit, I'm just always worried I will be off by like 200 calories (and that would really suck).
  • darcibean
    Options
    I just use the recipe tool and from the beginning I put in about how many servings I think the whole meal is. When I eat leftovers I guesstimate if I eat half of a serving or whatever. I usually go a little bit over what I think I ate.
    As for the gravy/broth, I'd enter a new recipe and divide that into servings too.
    Then add whatever each one is for your food entry.