trying to lose weight and gain muscle

Options
At the moment i'm focusing on the weight loss more then the muscle build. Just looking for advice really I'm focusing on weight loss through cardio and diet, trying to lay of the weights for now.

Is this the best option, any ideas, advice gladly accepted

:)

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I believe it is all important. Weight training will give you more muscle that will increase your metabolism helping you lose even more fat. Too many people concentrate on cardio, and diet alone. Many of those plateau alot, Many end up looking thin, but not real healthy. My opinion, is to do it all, A good diet is 80% of it, but you will need to do the cardio for overall fitness, to work your heart, The strength training will help build your other muscles to give you a better look, and feel.
  • hardybelle83
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, you're really missing out on some great metabolic effects of weight lifting.
    Lifting weights will not hinder fat loss... would you rather weigh 5 pounds more than you do right now and fit into smaller clothes, or lose 5 pounds on the scale and still struggle to fit comfortably into your clothes?

Please don't discount the benefits of strength training, no matter what your goals are! Unless you have a physical issue that prevents you from being able to lift weights, you should keep at it! Definitely work on cardio & diet as well. All three are important parts of the equation!
  • Reka2011
    Reka2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been told that you should incorporate strength training into your workout regimen so that you can build the muscle...I'm no trainer by no means but thats what I've been told by the trainers LOL
  • solongself
    Options
    Weight loss "secret" which is no secret at all: Calories in vs calories out. Burn more than you consume and you WILL lose weight! I've lost 42 lbs in recent months and am loving it!

Switch exercise up. Both Cardio and weights. You don't have to become a power lifter, but muscle does burn more calories! Large muscle groups! I hear lunges work wonders, but I hate them! haha! I'd like to swim too, but not motivated yet!

Good luck!

M
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that might interest you. I incorporated some of the key take aways into my plan.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm
  • teri_cmc
    Options
    I highly recommend finding a CrossFit gym in your area and checking it out. I started last May and have lost 27 pounds on the scale and over 12% body fat! People think I've lost much more weight than that because of all the sculpting and muscle I have now... CrossFit workout incorporate all of it and the trainers will work on your diet with you...
  • kbarnes84
    Options
    From my experiences doing a lot of cardio makes you shrink but not look better, or more fit. From doing just cardio I gained my weight back very quick compared to lifting weights and cardio. What it comes down to if you want to be fit or smaller. If its just smaller do the cardio but if you want to be fit overall weights are very important in a work out. :happy:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    At the moment i'm focusing on the weight loss more then the muscle build. Just looking for advice really I'm focusing on weight loss through cardio and diet, trying to lay of the weights for now.

Is this the best option, any ideas, advice gladly accepted

:)

Well said by Dave4d! To that I would add, make this a lifestyle change. Make sure you log your food, and excercises, it becomes addictive and will help you keep on track. Make your food diary public, that way if you have any questions about what you are doing a person can quickly look at your food habits and maybe able to make informed suggestions.
    This works, I did it once and am doing it again.
  • sdtul
    sdtul Posts: 24
    Options
    More muscle = More calories being burned. I actually don't do any formal form of cardio, but focus mainly on weights or plyometric type exercises.
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    I like the circuit training. You get cardio and strength in the same workout. It's tireing, but I would recommend it to anyone. Like someone said above me, unless you have some kind of medical reason to not lift weights, you should put it into your workout routine, even if it is only once or twice a week. You get better results faster.
  • johnblackmur
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to try and work weights back into my programme

I got advice that said I should focus on one area, fat loss or muscle gain so this has helped me clear that up. Like someone said I'm not looking to end up power lifter size just look good and have the confidence I have online in my daily life.

Thank you for the advice I'm also going to follow the lead of a lot of people on here and start talking pictures so I can see the progress