Do you count coffee as water?

Options
I am tracking my water consumption and I want to know who counts their cups of coffee (yes, I have several) as water consumed. I know that coffee is a diuretic, but it is 95% water.

Cheers,

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I drink aboput 4 cups of tea a day but I do not count them as my water.
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    I would say no because you lose as much water as you drink in the coffee if not more.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    nope.. i record coffee and water separately
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Caffeinated coffee should not be counted as water because it is the caffeine that makes you pee.
    Decaffeniated coffee on the other hand can be counted.
  • Akronite0883
    Options
    I put them in seperately
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    As far as counting them as water, it really depends on who you ask. Some doctors say no, you absolutely can't count anything but plain water. Some say you can count anything that isn't caffeinated. Some say you can count anything liquid. Caffeine is a diuretic, but it doesn't get rid of all the water in that cup of coffee (evidenced by my ex-brother-in-law, who literally drinks nothing but coffee and caffeinated soda all day, and he's not a raisin yet). There's no consensus. So, to deal with all the conflicting information, I say forget counting ounces and cups, and look at your body. If your pee is yellow, you need to drink more water. If it's clear, you're drinking enough.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    no. they only thing i count as water, is water.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been recording my cups of tea as water, though I haven't recorded my coffees as such. I don't really have any logic behind that one though. :embarassed: Maybe it's because I drink my tea straight-up these days, but when I have coffee, I add milk and splenda.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't count coffee in my water. I think some people do if it is decaf. I drink 2 litres of water a day on top of my coffee (I love coffee!). What I do to make it more exciting, I guess as exciting as water can be I put it in a nice jug and squeeze a 1/4 lemon into it and sip on it all day.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i drink decaff coffee and probably should count it, but i dont. tea, i count as water...
  • jsavy
    jsavy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I went to Weight Watchers they had changed and was saying all liquids are counted although they prefer you drink water I guess. I was glad to hear that for I can`t drink all that water. I don`t go there now I am doing this now on my own my way, I have lost around twelve pounds, I stuggle but I am taking it slow this time and not worrying about my goal, a pound at a time will eventually get me there, I have been there many times but this time I am trying another way and hope it sticks this time, I still eat things I shouldn`t but just am not over doing it like I used too, portion size is the secret for you will always crave the same things but you just have to learn control..........
  • Grace76
    Options
    For every cup of coffee you drink a day you should drink two cups of water to make up for the excretion of water from your body. Its easy to get dehydrated from too much coffee.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Caffeinated coffee should not be counted as water because it is the caffeine that makes you pee.
    Decaffeniated coffee on the other hand can be counted.

If your water isn't making you pee, then I want to know what kind it is - I've been in the bathroom constantly since I started with this site!!! :bigsmile:
  • RMD2173
    Options
    No!! It actually takes away from your daily water count. For example, if you drink 8 oz of coffee - that's like subtracting 8oz of water from your daily intake - you need to double up on the water for any coffee you drink!!!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    As far as counting them as water, it really depends on who you ask. Some doctors say no, you absolutely can't count anything but plain water. Some say you can count anything that isn't caffeinated. Some say you can count anything liquid. Caffeine is a diuretic, but it doesn't get rid of all the water in that cup of coffee (evidenced by my ex-brother-in-law, who literally drinks nothing but coffee and caffeinated soda all day, and he's not a raisin yet). There's no consensus. So, to deal with all the conflicting information, I say forget counting ounces and cups, and look at your body. If your pee is yellow, you need to drink more water. If it's clear, you're drinking enough.

This!
    I've asked several of my doctors and nurses...dietician even. Answers vary across the board. Pay attention to the last statement this poster wrote!! What some people forget, foods (fruits, especially) contain water. It all goes hand in hand. Keep in mind, too much of something isn't good...coffee AND water, included.
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would say no, as its a diuretic. I would if it was decaf though! Id log it separate and try to drink an extra glass of water for every 2 cups!
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    To take it a step further i dont count anything as water unless it is Water (with lemon or lime still counts). Juice, coffee, soda, tea None of these count. That way there is a clear line to keep track.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, for every cup of coffee you drink, you are supposed to drink 2 cups of water. That's what I've read in a few reliable sources. :)
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options
    I've been recording my cups of tea as water, though I haven't recorded my coffees as such. I don't really have any logic behind that one though. :embarassed: Maybe it's because I drink my tea straight-up these days, but when I have coffee, I add milk and splenda.

This is what I do too! I count my green tea as 1 cup water on top of normal water intake but don't count my coffee as such. I wondered about this too.
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i count coffee seperate, but then again i have tim hortons and its loaded with sugar and cream(yum)
    Tea i count as water tho, since its just a bit of flavoring to it and i buy non caffinated stuff