does it matter what kinds of food?

Options
i know healthy is best, but if i eat anything and stay at my calorie target for the day, does it work the same way?i do try to eat healthy, but sometimes i don't! just wondering if it's just about calories in/out that helps you lose weight? thanks

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    i know healthy is best, but if i eat anything and stay at my calorie target for the day, does it work the same way?i do try to eat healthy, but sometimes i don't! just wondering if it's just about calories in/out that helps you lose weight? thanks

You're correct that if your only goal is weight loss, calories in vs. calories out is the name of the game. Any food will work.

But for a sustainable weight loss, you're going to find eating anything you want while staying in a calories range is very, very difficult. And it's not going to do much for your health either.

If you are looking for a long-term, sustainable weight loss and better health, you're most likely going to find that you have to adjust your eating plan to be more focused on healthier foods.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it very basically speaking is just calories in vs calories out. That said, of course it's not the same for your health.

Also, a few things to consider - healthier foods e.g. less processed foods and foods high in fibre, tend to take more calories to digest. Also you are likely to underestimate unhealthier foods (because the amount on the label is an estimate) and overestimate (or estimate more accurately) healthy foods, especially if you are weighing them yourself. So this is where people often see a very marked difference in their weight loss results between eating healthy and unhealthy foods. You will of course also feel more satisfied being able to eat bigger portions of healthy foods and still be able to keep within your calorie limit.

Hope that helps.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    In order to make sustainable changes, you have to view food as "fuel" and not just to stop the grumbling. Fueling your body required keeping it healthy and eating foods that supply proper nutrition for muscle repair, digestion, immune system support, etc. Eating 1200 empty calories will just make you sick in the long run. You'll also always be hungry so you can't keep it going long term.

Ah, if it were that easy I would make a diet of cheetos and craft beer! LOL But, I like to run, hike, bike, etc. and my body wouldn't agree with that!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i agree with all above, you will lose weight regardless, but the better you eat the better you feel the healthier you'll be. my eating is far from perfect but when i eat junk and stay under my calories i can always tell a difference, also you gotta watch for things like sodium which can cause you not to lose
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. No because 1200 calories (or whatever your goal is) is 1200 calories no matter if it is McDonalds or veggies. However junk food can make you gain weight or stay the same from all of the sodium (water retention) and most people's goal is to become smaller AND healthier, not just smaller. Also getting skinny on junk food can cause the "skinny fat" phenom which is where you're smaller, but you just don't look/feel good.

Furthermore keep in mind that eating 500 calories worth of healthy food will keep you full and satisfied a lot longer than those same calories in a tiny brownie.

That being said, no you do not have to give up all of your favorite foods. I still eat fast food, sweets, pop...but it's all in moderation. If you want that stuff, work it in to your calories, make sure you save enough for it or work out more to earn the calories to eat it. This is about a lifestyle change, you'll never get there by giving up everything you love, but you also want to be healthy along with losing weight. And above all, if you do cave and eat junk without having the calories for it (which I am notorious for on weekends) remember tomorrow is another day and get back on the horse.
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you want, but I have found that you are able to eat more and stay full with the healthy stuff. If you aren't hungry all of the time, then you will be more likely to stick with it.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    they did a study on this and had this guy go on the twinkie diet but he had to stick with a certain number of calories( but ate mostly twinkies) and he still lost a significant amount of weight.You can probably find it if you look it up on google.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts...healthier is better. However, as one who did not grow up with good eating habits and is just learning about healthy eating now, it is a process. I began by just loggin what I was eating. When I saw how much crap I was taking in, it was a real eye-opener. The next step for me was to start getting within my target daily calorie limit. Now, as I learn to work within my daily calorie limit, I am also learning about healthy eating and replacing many of my bad choices with good choices. Will my food choices ever be perfect? NO!! But will I make better, healthier food choices? YES!!! And thanks to all who open their food diaries so I can see your food choices and learn from what you're doing.:wink:
  • shaunadroddy
    Options
    thanks everyone, i do try to eat healthy! lately i have been eating everything in sight, i have to get back on track. i have a hard time finding time to cook, with work, kids and everything else. i just think i need to plan better!!