NSV: Social Gatherings

Options
Last night my husband and I attended a BBQ by one of his co-workers and on the drive over I started getting nervous. Meeting a lot of new people is pretty nerve wracking for me, and results in me grabbing handfuls of food and gorging the entire time. At first I planned on staying away from all the food to help prevent this, but everyone remained around the food for the majority of event. There in front of me were my biggest temptation foods :chips, dip, cookies, candy, and some chocolatey desserts. Luckily I spotted a lonelt veggie tray on the other side of the kitchen and throughout the night I was grabbing carrots, snap peas, and celery. Like all veggie platters there was dip included, but I never even tried it! It may not seem like much but sticking to veggies for snacks all night is a very big victory in my book!

On a side note, the people at the party had a good laugh when they caught me scanning the foods for my diary. But it wasn't to be mean spirited and it started an interesting conversation on weight loss and exercise. I was surprised at how honest I was to a huge room of people admitting that I was 200 pounds (which got surprised reactions and I was told I looked more like I was 160) but what was really heartwarming was the huge hugs I got at the end of the night and lots of support. <3

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! It is always difficult at large gatherings where food is the primary focus. Great way you made your selections!
  • CougNurse2011
    Options
    That is a HUGE NSV. I have not yet mastered staying away from the chip, dip, and cookie table.... Great job!
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Good for you! The small victories are the best in my opinion. The small changes to our habits will increase our chance of success. So do a happy dance, you deserve it!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I think eating the veggies without even trying the dip is huge! It made me smile, because I can relate. I tell everyone about MFP wether they want to here about it or not.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!