Low sodium soups??

Options
Any ideas for some low sodium soups? I love my progresso high fiber or weight watchers endorsed soups but they have so much sodium, especially if I eat a whole can! What do you eat for soup?

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    homemade whenever possible so i can control the sodium... cause, as you mentioned.. there is just too much in canned ones, at least any i have found, even the ones claiming low sodium as unacceptably high for me :(
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you have a free day, I would suggest making and freezing your own soups. I have found that gives you the ability to control the amount of sodium in the soup and they are generally more nutritious than any prepackaged ones out there. You can find low sodium stocks in the stores or you can make your own and that reduces the sodium even more. If you don't have any recipes, google the types you like with "low sodium recipe" attached to the name.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Progresso has some that are marketed as low sodium-RS Chicken & Wild Rice has 470 per serving-2 servings in can. Progresso RS Chicken gumbo-480 per serving. Progresso light italian-style veg-470 per serving. Campbell's chunky healthy request grilled chicken & sausage gumbo 410 per serving. I'm not sure what is too much sodium for you but those are the ones I like bc of the low sodium. And they're good. Add some cilantro for flavor or some Mrs. Dash....
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I made homemade. I still use packaged soup as low sodium as I can find, then I even add some extra water to it. If it doesn't quite taste right watered down then I add some other flavouring and spices that are salt free. And ofcourse load it up with all your favourite veggies :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    As convenient as canned soups are, I never eat them EVER because of the sodium content! Even "low sodium" is rediculously high in my opinion. I make my own. They are pretty easy with a little bit of chopping you can add a ton of veggies and add your own meat protein or beans to it. Split pea soup is probably the easiest to make and most satisfying to me. I always get the Trader Joe's Low Sodium Chicken Broth in the boxes and it has only 70 mg per serving. Then add your own salt pinch by pinch to taste. I NEVER add the salt called for when I make ANY recipe. Good luck!
  • vanadia
    vanadia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been eating some Campbell's soups. They aren't high in sodium, but they aren't low either. The thing that I like about them is the potassium balances the amount of sodium. That's what's important. It's probably better to eat 600 mg sodium plus 600 mg potassium than to just eat 300 mg sodium. Remember learning about the sodium/potassium pump in our cells back in school?
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    The only way I know to get low sodium soup is to make it from scratch. Sorry that I don't know an easier answer.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Homemade is the best way, but even then you can get a lot of sodium. My gf loves to make soups with different things in them, but add some of this, some of that, some of that, and suddenly she has created a good calorie, but very high in sodium meal. Not as much an issue if you eat it once, but when it was created with eight servings, that means another 4-5 sodium spikes that mean you have to really watch the rest of your day.

Minimize the sodium in all the varied ingredients to get the best results in the overall end.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    As convenient as canned soups are, I never eat them EVER because of the sodium content! Even "low sodium" is rediculously high in my opinion. I make my own. They are pretty easy with a little bit of chopping you can add a ton of veggies and add your own meat protein or beans to it. Split pea soup is probably the easiest to make and most satisfying to me. I always get the Trader Joe's Low Sodium Chicken Broth in the boxes and it has only 70 mg per serving. Then add your own salt pinch by pinch to taste. I NEVER add the salt called for when I make ANY recipe. Good luck!

Yep Trader Joes has the Low Sodium Chicken Broth. I stock up on that.

I cringe when I see broth/soup products low sodium, but you look at the label and it is still terribly high.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Campbell's and at least one other brand (i forget which) actually has 'no salt added' chicken broth as well...(i am in canada and can get both at Safeway) WAY lower than the 'low sodium' versions they put out... not a bad thing to have on hand when having a soup craving, as a base for adding other good stuff *S*
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Ok then, lets see your soup recipes people! Because I tried to make a low sodium soup, and it was so gross I threw it out lol
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (Spag Wheat Pasta) abt 1 cup

About 15 servings, give or take

Aldi Fit & Active - Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti...entire box
    Tyson - 100% All Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast W/ Rib Meat...24 oz
    Wylers - Sodium Free Chicken Instant Boullion...9 tsp
    Generic Yellow Onion Small - Small Yellow Onion...approx 1/2 cup
    Celery - Raw, 2 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long)
    Aldi - Baby Carrots, 3 oz (about 10 carrots)
    Spices - Pepper, black...1 tsp
    Water...9 cups (mixes with boullion)

Cover chicken with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about an hour until done. Remove chicken to cool and cut up. I saved the water to add to the stock...after all, it's flavored now. :)

Make spaghetti noodles according to box.

Dice up veggies, prepare boullion and put in large stock pot. Add pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Add chicken and the water it boiled in. Voila!

Freeze into about 1 cup portions.

Calories: 139
    Carbs: 19 g
    Protein: 12 g
    Fiber: 3 g
    Fat: 1 g
    Sodium: 25 mg

You can add other spices, veggies...pretty versatile and basic soup.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    OMG that sounds amazing...and really healthy...I'M ON IT!
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for canned soups, as I am, as they say, a soup nazi. So, I make my own. I could really eat soup every day and still love it. I have tried the Pacific brand of soups and like some of them. However, I feel that making your own is the best. Plus, soup is probably one of the easiest "hands off" meals you can make.
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Homemade is the only way to go. I make and freeze my own chicken and beef stock so putting together a soup can be very easy. I use my crock pot to make the stock. I wait until whole chickens go on sale and then cook a whole chicken in the crockpot for a few hours on high. Then I take all the meat off and put the bones back in the crock pot with onion, celery, carrots and bay leaves and let it cook overnight. It develops into a beautiful rich stock that is an AWESOME base for many soups and recipes.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Homemade is the only way to go. I make and freeze my own chicken and beef stock so putting together a soup can be very easy. I use my crock pot to make the stock. I wait until whole chickens go on sale and then cook a whole chicken in the crockpot for a few hours on high. Then I take all the meat off and put the bones back in the crock pot with onion, celery, carrots and bay leaves and let it cook overnight. It develops into a beautiful rich stock that is an AWESOME base for many soups and recipes.
    Awesome idea to crock the stock! Luvs it! Cant wait to try it :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I love different spices and I am not afraid to cook! www.epicurious.com has great recipes and you can always tweak them to suit yourself! I hope this shows up okay!

Indian Spiced Carrot Soup with Ginger – from epicurious.com

Ingredients:

2 tsp. coriander seeds
    1 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
    3 Tbsp. peanut oil
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 Tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
    2 cups chopped onions
    1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds (about 4 cups)
    11/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
    5 cups (or more) low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
    2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice
    Plain yogurt for garnish
    you can add salt to taste sprinkle by sprinkle

Preparation:

Grind coriander and mustard seeds in spice mill to a fine powder. (Alternatively use already ground spices and even prepared mustard if you don’t have the seeds)
    Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
    Add ground seeds and curry powder; stir 1 minute.
    Add ginger; stir 1 minute.
    Add next three ingredients.
    Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
    Add 5 cups of broth; bring to boil.
    Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, abouat 30 minutes.
    Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree in blender (or use stick blender in pot) until smooth.
    Return the soup to the pot. Add more broth by ¼ cup fuls if too thick. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
    DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slilghtly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before serving.

Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with yogurt and serve.

Per serving: 163 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated), 0 cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 19g carbs, 4g fiber, 6g protein. (this recipe doesn’t say what a serving size is!)
    I make mine without the lime or yogurt. Thin it out as necessary with water or low sodium chicken broth.